M1 Macbook Pro 14" Cooling Solution Powerful Enough?

Hello!

Since the reviews of the M1 MBPs are trickling in, I was wondering if anybody has seen any reports or reviews of comparing a maxed out 14" vs 16" M1 Max + 64 GB RAM (RAM capacity not so important I guess). Can the 14" keep up with sustained loads with the 16"?

If theyre both identicle in every aspect aside from the screen/case size then I imagine theyd be the same but typically you wouldnt use mobile devices for sustained loads.

Youd want to be using a device that has a lot of thermal mass for sustained loads as it will not throttle. Apple has a history of making chips that are supposed to be fast quite slow thanks to lack of thermal mass.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

If theyre both identicle in every aspect aside from the screen/case size then I imagine theyd be the same but typically you wouldnt use mobile devices for sustained loads.

Youd want to be using a device that has a lot of thermal mass for sustained loads as it will not throttle. Apple has a history of making chips that are supposed to be fast quite slow thanks to lack of thermal mass.

There are plenty of cases where a mobile device would need to pull a heavy long load. Especially with apple devices as they are often the main workstation due to their cost.

But otherwise it's exactly as you said. Like the core i9 performing basically identical to the i7 one with 2 less cores n stuff in longer loads and all that crap.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

There are plenty of cases where a mobile device would need to pull a heavy long load. Especially with apple devices as they are often the main workstation due to their cost.

Oh yeah im sure people are using them for those loads, they just really shouldnt be.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Oh yeah im sure people are using them for those loads, they just really shouldnt be.

Sometimes you just don't have a choice. I mean I don't recommend it those poor fans end up dying a lot sooner. In my 5,5 years having used my clevo I had to replace 2 of the 3 fans because they were just done.

55 minutes ago, emosun said:

Apple has a history of making chips that are supposed to be fast quite slow thanks to lack of thermal mass.

Yes, and that's why I'm asking. Since the M1's are more power efficient, I am hoping that even the higher-end chip can be maintained by the smaller form factor.

56 minutes ago, jaslion said:

From what I've seen it trail behind the 16" a bit by at worst 10%. But it's a bit all over the place too so I'm not sure.

Thanks, lemme know if you see anything else 🙂

25 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Yes, and that's why I'm asking. Since the M1's are more power efficient, I am hoping that even the higher-end chip can be maintained by the smaller form factor.

Well im sure theyll find a way to screw it up by making the thermal mass even smaller then. They care about the 99% of casual users and not the power users testing the cooling limits. Tbh idk if they even care about casuals either lol.

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well im sure theyll find a way to screw it up by making the thermal mass even smaller then. They care about the 99% of casual users and not the power users testing the cooling limits. Tbh idk if they even care about casuals either lol.

Do let me know if you see something that indicates if that is the case in reliable reviews.

Cinebench run in background when downloading my applications. Dead silent, fans didn't even spin at all. Still beats an 1700X. On battery.