True 7.1 or similar wireless headset suggestion

Shanther

So I currently am using ASTRO A50's 4th gen and they are good but I know I can get better. I have heavily worn them out with a lot of use. In saying that I was looking around and know I will have to sacrifice some potential quality to remain wireless. I found these but they are wired sadly. Also they are incredibly ugly but I don't care about looks. I will happily pay for the better sound quality and if forced will import.

I use for many things from gaming to music. I want something with high sound quality as well as something that will allow me to have the edge in games by hearing all around. I currently have Dolby in everything gaming and change to DTS:X when listening to music or editing media.

I currently run a fiber 5.1 sound card so I want a headset that can perform as well even if it doesn't use the sound card.

Anyone have any suggestion for something better. I need it to be better not just a replacement.

P.S. I live is Australia and ASTRO have no interest in helping me get replacement pads and I don't want to import or buy knock off pads. That was months ago and now the plastic is starting to give out. I wear them for 10+ hours a day so they get a good work out.

True 7.1 headsets are a gimmic, they're not actually better than virtual surround headsets, or some good "standard" headphones using virtual surround software on the PC. They are just more complicated, with 10 drivers in stead of two each of them have to be lower end than the two in a similarly priced stereo headset.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

4 hours ago, Shanther said:

So I currently am using ASTRO A50's 4th gen and they are good but I know I can get better. I have heavily worn them out with a lot of use. In saying that I was looking around and know I will have to sacrifice some potential quality to remain wireless. I found these but they are wired sadly. Also they are incredibly ugly but I don't care about looks. I will happily pay for the better sound quality and if forced will import.

I use for many things from gaming to music. I want something with high sound quality as well as something that will allow me to have the edge in games by hearing all around. I currently have Dolby in everything gaming and change to DTS:X when listening to music or editing media.

I currently run a fiber 5.1 sound card so I want a headset that can perform as well even if it doesn't use the sound card.

Anyone have any suggestion for something better. I need it to be better not just a replacement.

P.S. I live is Australia and ASTRO have no interest in helping me get replacement pads and I don't want to import or buy knock off pads. That was months ago and now the plastic is starting to give out. I wear them for 10+ hours a day so they get a good work out.

There is no such thing as "true" surround sound in any headphone ever. It can't mimmick a real surround setup. The multiple drivers inside of the cups are too close and are very small which results in worse tinny sound with really bad positional audio. What you need are good wired stereo headphones with a mic. I can recommend a setup for 200$ maybe even 100. Also don't use any virtual surround for music listening or even games for that matter unless you've got some sort of higher end hardware with better VSS capabilities without sacrificing sound quality and the annoying echo.

If you want the best audio quality and mic without sacrificing audio you need wired.  Which soundcard do you have?

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wired

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

10 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

There is no such thing as "true" surround sound in any headphone ever. It can't mimmick a real surround setup. The multiple drivers inside of the cups are too close and are very small which results in worse tinny sound with really bad positional audio. What you need are good wired stereo headphones with a mic. I can recommend a setup for 200$ maybe even 100. Also don't use any virtual surround for music listening or even games for that matter unless you've got some sort of higher end hardware with better VSS capabilities without sacrificing sound quality and the annoying echo.

If you want the best audio quality and mic without sacrificing audio you need wired.  Which soundcard do you have?

I am happy to get another headset with or without true 7.1 but I will not go for a wired headset. I get tangled way to easily. As I way I already have ASTRO A50's but want something with better sound and IF it is virtual I don't care as long as the sound quality is better then the already high quality I currently have. I am after an upgrade not a first headset.