Black screen in the middle of gaming. No output from GPU.

Hi guys, I will skip the formalities and go right into the problem to be brief.

I am playing League of Legends and suddenly my display goes black. My monitor says no input detected. All the fans in my pc are running at max, as seen (or rather heard) in the bottom video. My gpu is connected to my primary display via DP and secondary display via HDMI. There is no input into both of these displays. Swapping the hdmi cable from my GPU to my MOBO also does not give a display. (But even in the usual course of events, as I am writing this now, my MOBO doesn't give and output to my monitor.

I have to press the restart button on my case to restart my pc and solve this issue.

This issue has occurred 2 times today, within a span of 3 hours. It has occurred one time in the past but I forgot if I was playing LoL. (I'm not a avid LoL player, as I only play it whenever theres urf, so I'm not too certain whether I was playing LoL when it happened).

PC Specs:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card
  • Case
    Corsair 400C ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Storage
    OCZ TRION 150 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Boot)
    860 EVO SATA M.2 SSD 500GB
    Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    Asus VX278H
    PRISM+ X270 Pro
  • Cooling
    Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
  • Mouse
    Logitech G903
  • Sound
    Creative Stage Soundbar
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
  • PCPartPicker URL

Does the black screen force a restart of the computer automatically by itself??? Typically, when the fans go to 100% max speed, this is a hardware problem. 

What are your temperatures of your Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti like??? Can you view in Event Viewer under Windows logs to see if there is an event recorded at the time of the black screening?? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

59 minutes ago, Fenrir8080 said:
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

Heh, the worst possible combination...

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers, if that doesn't fix it i would say its time to replace the motherboard (yes, i had this motherboard,  shortly, i dont care how "good" its supposed to be, its garbage,  so many  BSODs...  the problem isn't hardware,  the problem is MSI bios are trash,  but if you're lucky they have a working bios available by now)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Does the black screen force a restart of the computer automatically by itself??? Typically, when the fans go to 100% max speed, this is a hardware problem. 

What are your temperatures of your Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti like??? Can you view in Event Viewer under Windows logs to see if there is an event recorded at the time of the black screening?? 

1. The black screen doesn't force a restart. I have to restart my pc via the case button to solve it. While the black screen is ongoing, I could hear the game audio for the first few seconds before being unable to hear it.

2. My GPU idles at around 54 degrees celsius

3. I'm not sure if I'm viewing the correct section at event viewer, but when I navigate to Windows Logs > Application at the time of the blackout there is an error entry. Its details are as follows:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xc9db1934
Exception code: 0xc00001ad
Fault offset: 0x000000000010be3e
Faulting process id: 0x4e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ca3a72dabcbd
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1c9dbb70-f254-4f58-8878-a08ca46255f1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Heh, the worst possible combination...

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers, if that doesn't fix it i would say its time to replace the motherboard (yes, i had this motherboard,  shortly, i dont care how "good" its supposed to be, its garbage,  so many  BSODs...  the problem isn't hardware,  the problem is MSI bios are trash,  but if you're lucky they have a working bios available by now)

Oh, whats bad about MSI's MOBO? I used B150 gaming M3 along with my intel I5 6400 in the past and had no problems. So thats why i upgraded to my current MOBO with my processor. I don't play around with the BIOS much other than turning on XMP, so maybe I'm unaware of issues related to more advanced use cases (?)

2 hours ago, Fenrir8080 said:

1. The black screen doesn't force a restart. I have to restart my pc via the case button to solve it. While the black screen is ongoing, I could hear the game audio for the first few seconds before being unable to hear it.

2. My GPU idles at around 54 degrees celsius

3. I'm not sure if I'm viewing the correct section at event viewer, but when I navigate to Windows Logs > Application at the time of the blackout there is an error entry. Its details are as follows:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xc9db1934
Exception code: 0xc00001ad
Fault offset: 0x000000000010be3e
Faulting process id: 0x4e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7ca3a72dabcbd
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1c9dbb70-f254-4f58-8878-a08ca46255f1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hmm, after looking around online, someone had this issue and apparently, the graphics card needed to be reseated as it was not making a good connection with the PCIe slot. Try reseating the graphics card and see if that resolves your issue. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, Fenrir8080 said:

Oh, whats bad about MSI's MOBO? I used B150 gaming M3 along with my intel I5 6400 in the past and had no problems. So thats why i upgraded to my current MOBO with my processor. I don't play around with the BIOS much other than turning on XMP, so maybe I'm unaware of issues related to more advanced use cases (?)

Its for example RAM compatibility,  reliability,  etc, msi bios is just poor on average... i had to wait ~2 years for a stable bios that supports my cpu properly for example- and its still not great  - but at least they fixed it i guess.  After 2 years. 

Basically as I said update your bios and hope that fixes it.

Also chipset driver from AMD, *not* msi...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Fenrir8080 said:

The black screen doesn't force a restart. I have to restart my pc via the case button to solve it.

Exactly the same issues I had.  With that same board. (different case from the one above, I returned the b450 as it was non functional)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Its for example RAM compatibility,  reliability,  etc, msi bios is just poor on average... i had to wait ~2 years for a stable bios that supports my cpu properly for example- and its still not great  - but at least they fixed it i guess.  After 2 years. 

Basically as I said update your bios and hope that fixes it.

Also chipset driver from AMD, *not* msi...

Thank you for your reply. I will update my bios and chipset. Hopefully that solves the problem.

12 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Hmm, after looking around online, someone had this issue and apparently, the graphics card needed to be reseated as it was not making a good connection with the PCIe slot. Try reseating the graphics card and see if that resolves your issue. 

Okay I'll do so. Since the problem is triggered by unknown causes, I won't be able to say if that works anytime soon. But hopefully this coupled with the the bios and chipset update, solves the problem.

• 9 months later...

hello, did u solve the problem here? cus my pc started to do the same thing as urs.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2022 at 2:21 AM, Mir21 said:

hello, did u solve the problem here? cus my pc started to do the same thing as urs.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:06 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Having the same issue rn. Done almost all the troubleshoot except for updating the bios. Anyone solved this?