Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

building for a friend please help

Budget (including currency): 1500+ cdn

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Editing photos, maybe some light video editing for personal use, and everyday use like streaming and email etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

i had a samsung 970 evo plus 1tb and a samsung LC32F391FWNXZA monitor which is a 32" curved 1080p monitor she loves the color on it as i used it for a couple month for gaming. i upgraded to a 32" Odyssey G5

so far i have this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NczWW3

she wants quality parts not no name or bad quality parts. 

also she insists on Intel so please dont argue with me

also parts have to be bought from a respectable place like AMAZON (no third party) canada computers, and NEWEGG

does she need a dedicated gpu for basic photo editing or basic video editing for personal use. no clue what program she will be using.

i want 2 m.2 nvme slots so i can add extra drives later if she needs it. nvme is not much more than ssd right now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, if you aren't gonna put a GPU in this system, a half decent 450w would be more than enough. 

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4BRH68

 

As for going Intel, you could just tell her she's wrong and have her get a 5600G, but that's how you end friendships. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Honestly, if you aren't gonna put a GPU in this system, a half decent 450w would be more than enough. 

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4BRH68

 

As for going Intel, you could just tell her she's wrong and have her get a 5600G, but that's how you end friendships. 

im not sure if she needs a gpu im leaving it out for now because idk if she needs it for her workload (video editing) having a 750 watt psu will allow me to put a decent gpu in if needed later down the road. instead of replacing the whole psu and then adding a gpu as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

im not sure if she needs a gpu im leaving it out for now because idk if she needs it for her workload (video editing) having a 750 watt psu will allow me to put a decent gpu in if needed later down the road. instead of replacing the whole psu and then adding a gpu as well 

Fair enough, I just figured that if you didn't have one in there, she probably didn't have a use for it.

 

Also, you might want to wait for Alder lake before buying anything. It is supposed to be announced Wednesday, and released next Thursday. Even if you don't go for it, prices will lower for last gen CPUs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Fair enough, I just figured that if you didn't have one in there, she probably didn't have a use for it.

 

Also, you might want to wait for Alder lake before buying anything. It is supposed to be announced Wednesday, and released next Thursday. Even if you don't go for it, prices will lower for last gen CPUs.

yea i agree with going with 12th gen part which i will if availability is decent which it has been for 11th gen lately. wont be building for probably another month or so. 

idk if she needs a gpu or not maybe someone on here could give me some advice on whether onboard gpu will be enough for personal use even if it is basic video editing and photo editing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YBXFcT

Yea no reason to go with intel here, amd is just superior in general (performance, power efficiency, etc)

 

I used a lil over half the budget so if you want to you can do some upgrades to stuff like the mb or maybe add more storage

 

Cheap mb and cooling cause i dont expect any overclocking, even if you do overclock its prob only gonna be a ram overclock which most boards will handle just fine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YBXFcT

Yea no reason to go with intel here, amd is just superior in general (performance, power efficiency, etc)

 

I used a lil over half the budget so if you want to you can do some upgrades to stuff like the mb or maybe add more storage

 

Cheap mb and cooling cause i dont expect any overclocking, even if you do overclock its prob only gonna be a ram overclock which most boards will handle just fine

sorry no AMD builds will be considered please and try to follow instructions given. she is paying for the PC she wants intel she gets intel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, leonardmartin29 said:

sorry no AMD builds will be considered please and try to follow instructions given. she is paying for the PC she wants intel she gets intel. 

Welp just shove an 11500 and a cheap b560 then call it a day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Welp just shove an 11500 and a cheap b560 then call it a day

is that sufficient for a build for video editing i choose a 11700k cause its really not much more than a 11500 due to availability and i can still put it in a b560 board she doesnt need overclocking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

is that sufficient for a build for video editing i choose a 11700k cause its really not much more than a 11500 due to availability and i can still put it in a b560 board she doesnt need overclocking

Then dont bother with a k cpu, just wastes  money

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Then dont bother with a k cpu, just wastes  money

a k cpu is actually cheaper than a non k sku because of availability. not to mention good luck finding a non k sku from a reliable source

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×