How do I check if a HDMI cable is actually HDMI 2.1

ZiyaadD

I have a cable connected to my main monitor, but it looks pretty basic. The monitor is 1440p, how do I check if the cable is actually HDMI 2.1

text on the cable, or a cable tester

but if it works, then it works

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

-> Moved to Displays

If it doesn't work correctly at resolutions that need 2.1 then it's not.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also, if it's a normal HDMI cable and is longer than 3 meters, then it is not 2.1

By "normal", I mean not a fiber-version

1 hour ago, ZiyaadD said:

I have a cable connected to my main monitor, but it looks pretty basic. The monitor is 1440p, how do I check if the cable is actually HDMI 2.1

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/ultrahighspeedcable

To identify the cable, make sure the packaging displays the required Ultra High Speed HDMI Certification Label shown above. Please note the label includes the official Cable Name Logo printed on it. The name is also required to appear on the outer cable jacket itself.

Certified HDMI cables have the certification name (High Speed, Premium High Speed, Ultra High Speed) printed on the jacket.

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Also, if it's a normal HDMI cable and is longer than 3 meters, then it is not 2.1

By "normal", I mean not a fiber-version

No:

What is the maximum cable length?

The specification does not indicate a cable length. Cable length depends on many factors including cable type and construction.  Based on early testing in the UHS Cable program, it is expected that passive cables of 5 meters will be achievable.

19 hours ago, Glenwing said:

it is expected that passive cables of 5 meters will be achievable

So they expect cables up to 5 meters? I still haven't seen any though. All I see are 3 meters max. 

35 minutes ago, circeseye said:

another thing. it will say 2.1 on the cable ends (at least all the ones ive seen do)

Printing version numbers on cables is prohibited by the HDMI licensing agreement. If it has a version number on it, it indicates it probably doesn't have a proper third-party certification.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Printing version numbers on cables is prohibited by the HDMI licensing agreement. If it has a version number on it, it indicates it probably doesn't have a proper third-party certification.

opps sorry wasnt 2.1 on them it has 8k on them (guess their way to distinguish?)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C5BLTTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

these are one i have found to work flawlessly
there are others out there same thing 8k at the ends

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

I just searched "Ultra high speed HDMI cable 15 ft" on Amazon and there are a bunch of results.

There are a lot of fake 2.1 cables though 

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Of course. But there are several that have their certification IDs listed. The point is there is no hard limit on length.

True 

TIL that HDMI.org provides a smartphone app ( App Store Play Store ) to scan the QR codes + hologram on packaging of a hdmi cable to check if the certification is valid