Unable to select prefered GPU in W10

Stevieboy118

I've got a machine with 2 video cards, GTX770 (2gb) and RX6700xt. I want the 770 to be the default gaming card, while i leave the 6700xt to heat the room. The monitor is plugged in to the 770, nothing is plugged in to the 6700xt.

I've tried the "graphics settings" option from the display settings page, i've added the game i want to use the 770 (Fallout76) and oddly enough it lets me select the 770 as the high performance & the power efficient option.

But it doesn't actually do anything, the moment i launch the game it drops to 2-3fps and stays there, task manager shows that there is no load going to the 770 and the game is running on the 6700xt.

I've uninstalled all the drives (DDU), i've reinstalled all the drivers, i've uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game, removed the game from the "graphics settings" list, added it back to the list.

No change. No matter what i do the game tries to run on the more more powerful card.

I've googled and every suggestion pre-dates the built in W10 GPU selector, the option isn't there in the Nvidia control panel anymore.

It's not usually a problem, an hour or two of gaming isn't going to hit the ETH wallet too hard, but '76 has got the "Trick or Treat" running right now, so i'm wanting to keep my game up for 7-8 hours so i can get a few visitors to my camp (server jumping every hour obviously), and i'm stuck.

If i open Fallout 3, it jumps straight to the 770 and runs quite happily.

Both cards on on the most recent driver (the 770 is on the most recent one that it can use).

I'm developing a concussion from beating my head against the desk, anybody got any ideas?

edit - if i physically remove the 6700xt, the game launches and runs fine on 770.

Seems odd, when I had 2 GPUs in my system for a while (rtx 2070 and 3080ti) It always used the one I connected my Screen to when gaming, and production apps like blender let me choose in software without issue. So it would seem to me like your issue might be somehow cause by having one AMD and one Nvidia card as the 6700xt seems to take priority somehow.

I guess I would take a look somewhere in AMDs setting and see if i could find some settings to disable the card for certain workloads or something but honestly im out of my depth aswell.

Okay, current "working" method.

Stop miner, open device manager, disable the more powerful gpu, open the game, alt-tab back to device manager, enable the gpu, restart miner, alt-tab back to game.

Easy!