Anyone know why im getting only 200fps ingame with almost 30% usage across the board?

nelska

30% usage... on what?

I find it hard to believe a 1050Ti can do 200fps in CS:GO with just 30% utilization. I wouldn't call that only, I'd call that "holy crap that 1050Ti is out of control".

3 minutes ago, Rauten said:

30% usage... on what?

I find it hard to believe a 1050Ti can do 200fps in CS:GO with just 30% utilization. I wouldn't call that only, I'd call that "holy crap that 1050Ti is out of control".

it does it at 1024x768. Its like 80% at 1920x1080. which is ok. but even if i drop the resolution the fps stays the same. just the usage drops.. which i dont want.. i want more fps. ect. 

btw in the test bench map i get like 400fps in the lobby. so I know it can do way better. is there something that i have to uncap in game or it just uses that much to play multiplayer. im guessing. here. 

-> Moved to troubleshooting

Just being CPU-limited.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

-> Moved to troubleshooting

Just being CPU-limited.

is that the answer? cuz i guessed that but its still also at like 30% usage at 1024x768. i dont get why it still bottlenecks. 

Your CPU has 8 threads, many games can only use 2-4 out of them leading to total CPU usage being reported as less than half even if the game is using all it can. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Your CPU has 8 threads, many games can only use 2-4 out of them leading to total CPU usage being reported as less than half even if the game is using all it can. 

even with multicore rendering it only supports half. there. OH. welp. thanks for the answer. with no console commands to force it? csgo is so SO wierd at getting around caps. lol. which i duno. takes a super expert lol. 

4 minutes ago, nelska said:

is that the answer? cuz i guessed that but its still also at like 30% usage at 1024x768. i dont get why it still bottlenecks. 

Cs:go is at best a 4 thread game. You have 8 threads available in your cpu. So best case scenario it can load up to 50% of your cpu.

But cs:go was made in the time of dual cores being one of the most popular cpu's so in reality it basically uses 2 cores to 100% and some light load on 3-4. If you open msi afterburner (or task manager but it's not as good at reporting) you'll see that happening.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

even with multicore rendering it only supports half. there. OH. welp. thanks for the answer. with no console commands to force it? csgo is so SO wierd at getting around caps. lol. which i duno. takes a super expert lol. 

You can't just tell a game to use more threads it needs to be coded for it.

It would be like you getting 8 shovels to dig a hole. 7 will just lay around since in reality you can only use one shovel at a time.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can't just tell a game to use more threads it needs to be coded for it.

It would be like you getting 8 shovels to dig a hole. 7 will just lay around since in reality you can only use one shovel at a time.

oh, so basically I need a new cpu with a more powerful single core processor. 

10 minutes ago, nelska said:

oh, so basically I need a new cpu with a more powerful single core processor. 

Basically but then again you are getting 200fps why even need more?

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Basically but then again you are getting 200fps why even need more?

I was hoping for at least 240 because refresh rate. oddly if i set the resolution to 60hz i get more fps because im assuming it doesnt have to display it. more

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

I was hoping for at least 240 because refresh rate. oddly if i set the resolution to 60hz i get more fps because im assuming it doesnt have to display it. more

What? 60hz isn't a resolution.

As for 240hz. Basically only pro's can see the difference between a 144hz and 240hz display so you are not missing out on anything with "just" 200fps.

24 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What? 60hz isn't a resolution.

As for 240hz. Basically only pro's can see the difference between a 144hz and 240hz display so you are not missing out on anything with "just" 200fps.

I dont like having the fps drop below 240fps if im using a 240hz monitor. but tbh, in reality the processors that can do that cost like over a grand. 

At your resolution I can see it doing about 200 considering your specs although I find it strange that it's constantly 200. 

Double check your max fps setting in your autoexec file or change it by going into your console and type without the quotes "fps_max #value" where #value is the number representing max fps ("fps_max 400") for example which is the default. 

GPU isn't utilised as much as CPU in CS and it's very much a game that uses one or two cores primarily (even with multicore rendering on) and as such, more cores won't help as much as newer architecture and raw clock speed.

In any case, 200fps is prime unless you have a 240hz monitor. Also double check your fps with the built in steam fps counter and the net graph fps counter in game.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, nelska said:

I dont like having the fps drop below 240fps if im using a 240hz monitor. but tbh, in reality the processors that can do that cost like over a grand. 

The 5600X has near the best single thread performance available, and is only $300.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

14 minutes ago, nelska said:

5600g is 230$ and will do 240fps easily.

3 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

The 5600X has near the best single thread performance available, and is only $300.

Im a huge intel guy. always have been. lol.   I even bought a gpu for gsync to use. but all that is completely latency boost because its backwards I just need a new cpu.. lmao. plus my mobo is 6th gen and wont go over i7.  which is why im basically throwing the whole thing out the window for an upgrade. 

4 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

I have the 5600x which I bought for about $370 at the time and can confirm it has phenomenal performance in most games, heavier workloads though it lacks due to the number of cores. Coupled with a 3060Ti and I max out my max fps in CS of 400 all the time. Haven't bothered to test what it gets up to because why bother, I only have a 144hz monitor and it's amazing, don't think I'd benefit from a 240Hz much like someone said earlier in this thread...

10 minutes ago, Deano727 said:

I have the 5600x which I bought for about $370 at the time and can confirm it has phenomenal performance in most games, heavier workloads though it lacks due to the number of cores. Coupled with a 3060Ti and I max out my max fps in CS of 400 all the time. Haven't bothered to test what it gets up to because why bother, I only have a 144hz monitor and it's amazing, don't think I'd benefit from a 240Hz much like someone said earlier in this thread...

dude if your not dropping under 240hz(fps)*.. you are totally about getting a better monitor. lol. i get like 280 at 1024x768 at the beginning of the round but as soon as i turn a corner and aim someone with a processor better 1 ups and it drops like a rock. 

5 minutes ago, nelska said:

dude if your not dropping under 240hz(fps)*.. you are totally about getting a better monitor. lol. i get like 280 at 1024x768 at the beginning of the round but as soon as i turn a corner and aim someone with a processor better 1 ups and it drops like a rock. 

Honestly it's one of those, smoother makes it feel better and makes you think you're better. CS is more strategy than shooting a pixel the split second it appears around an angle... Put S1mple on a 60Hz monitor and he'll still beat most pros. But when the technology becomes a bit more affordable I'll be bumping up to 1440p at 240Hz for sure.

Also, try find some videos that explain the relationship between fps and hz a bit better I think you may have a misconception somewhere. It will help you down the road if you understand it better now.

3 hours ago, nelska said:

does it at 1024x768. Its like 80% at 1920x1080. which is ok. but even if i drop the resolution the fps stays the same. just the usage drops.. which i dont want.. i want more fps. ect. 

Which means you're cpu limited. 

Either overclock cpu or get a better one to improve this.

Also 200fps with a 1050ti... thats pretty good,  I'd be happy with that. Want more, need to spend some cash, im afraid. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, nelska said:

dont get why it still bottlenecks. 

Because the cpu instructs the gpu to put out frames, if cpu is slow and can't give out more frames the gpu can't render more frames  resolution, settings,  have only very limited influence on this.

It's silly, but its also very old tech by now... with no alternatives in sight! ("quantum computing" probably won't be it)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So, basically. Theres a launch command to set threads i will be trying to see if it does anything.  EDIT: found a command called mat_queue_mode 2 that doubled my fps. to 500.