Remote Admin & Anti-Virus Options for 12 Year Old

Eclorian

In an attempt to be the best uncle ever and encourage computer use and knowledge at an early age, I built my niece a gaming computer. 

She likes to play Roblox games and Minecraft, etc.  Since I am the most tech knowledgeable person in my family, I want to set up remote access to the computer and ideally some sort of anti-virus/parental control software.

It's been a long time since I used an anti-virus because I tend to be very careful about what I do on the internet. 

So, can anyone recommend a good solution here?  I have a friend who is a developer who thought the Windows remote options would be sufficient, but I am certainly open to ideas here as well.

Thank you to anyone with help and/or ideas!

For Antivirus  Malwarebytes should be enough. 

12 minutes ago, Eclorian said:

who thought the Windows remote options

I'm not sure what you mean by "remote options". Are you talking about RDP? Are you going to access this PC from outside the network? If that's the case, use a VPN. Exposing RDP to the internet is very insecure.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Just use windows defender or something, that should prob suffice as an antivirus

Or just make your neice learn how to tackle malware, tbh if i accidentally download some malware that just goes installing sht that i dont want i can usually reverse it via cmd and prob alot of digging through file explorer in safe mode

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, RockSolid1106 said:

If that's the case, use a VPN

Thank you, this is kind of what I was looking for, some solution that would be safe and effective.  I still need to figure out what software to use.  Windows Remote options are....difficult, and TeamViewer is not always reliable.  I question the availability of good "for home use" remote management software, but that might be my next step.

I am not going to rely on Windows defender.  She is 12 and sadly, probably a little gullible.  I want to restrict installation of anything without permission.

Thanks for the ideas.  Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm a non-traditional student, and school has been a little hectic.

4 minutes ago, Eclorian said:

I want to restrict installation of anything without permission.

Many(I'd say like 60%) apps will require administrator permissions to install. You could try creating a separate Administrator account, with different password, which only you know, and this account will be an administrator. You can then set her account as a Standard account. Now, whenever she does something that requires administrator privileges, it would ask for a UAC password prompt.

As I said, this doesn't include all apps, so some might pass through. This solution is more of a way to prevent people from making changes that damage your PC, but could work to some extent in this case.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

I would install anydesk with restricted ID set to your anydesk ID only and configure unattended access.

Windows 10 has windows defender that works better than most free antivirus programs.

you can perforn manual scans with Malwarebyes and KVRT (Kasperky Virus Removal Tool), which is one of the best ways to clean an infected machine.

As for installation, let her install and tell her to read what she installs and where it comes from. Also tell her to always use custom installation and remove adware ticks.

Windows 10 automatically restricts unknown apps from running, so the only way to install a trojan is to ignore windows warninings on purpose.

A 12 year old could be quite knowledgeable, some kids could make websites and check nstat, even stalk your connection IP with wireshark. Just give her unlimited powers and no restrictions and observe what would happen.