Is it safe to use the powered type-c from my monitor to my desktop?

SjorsMaster
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
1 hour ago, SjorsMaster said:

Both my monitor and desktop support type-c, however my monitor also delivers power over it so that laptops can charge and use it's usb ports.

Devices need to negotiate with one another before either of them switches to a "high voltage" charging mode. If either one of the devices does not support this, or doesn't request charging if it does, USB will continue to run at the default 5V. So, provided both devices are working within the spec, there should be no danger.

55 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

From my dock I get around 100W of power and I didn't really think of this.

Power supplies make power available, they don't push. So it doesn't matter whether the power supply can supply up to 100w. It's not going to fry a device that only pulls 10w. The bigger danger here would be the fact that power delivery operates above the standard USB voltage of 5v. But as I said above, devices that can provide power will not switch to higher voltages unless the other device supports it (i.e. responds as expected to negotiation attempts).

So as long as we're not talking about some weird power adapter from eBay that someone cobbled together in their garage, the device should work within the spec and not switch to the 9, 15 or 20v you have with USB-C PD devices that can provide up to 100w (or 48v for the newer 240w PD standard)

~edit: tl:dr: Yes, it's safe.

Here's some more technical background: https://www.cui.com/blog/usb-type-c-pd-and-pps

Hi!

I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere online and I was hoping to get a clear answer on here, not sure if it's in the right part of the forums though!

Both my monitor and desktop support type-c, however my monitor also delivers power over it so that laptops can charge and use it's usb ports.

Is it safe to use with my desktop computer, or will it fry the port?

Thanks!

Info:

Monitor: ThinkVision P24h-10

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-pro (Wi-Fi)

Case: Corsair 4000D airflow

4 minutes ago, SjorsMaster said:

or will it fry the port?

It shouldn't. I've been using a Thunderbolt cable, adapted to USB A(to fit my needs, I know it's weird). From my dock I get around 100W of power and I didn't really think of this. Have been using it like that for over 4 months now, and works fine. Can't be 100% sure though.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, SjorsMaster said:

Devices need to negotiate with one another before either of them switches to a "high voltage" charging mode. If either one of the devices does not support this, or doesn't request charging if it does, USB will continue to run at the default 5V. So, provided both devices are working within the spec, there should be no danger.

55 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

From my dock I get around 100W of power and I didn't really think of this.

Power supplies make power available, they don't push. So it doesn't matter whether the power supply can supply up to 100w. It's not going to fry a device that only pulls 10w. The bigger danger here would be the fact that power delivery operates above the standard USB voltage of 5v. But as I said above, devices that can provide power will not switch to higher voltages unless the other device supports it (i.e. responds as expected to negotiation attempts).

So as long as we're not talking about some weird power adapter from eBay that someone cobbled together in their garage, the device should work within the spec and not switch to the 9, 15 or 20v you have with USB-C PD devices that can provide up to 100w (or 48v for the newer 240w PD standard)

~edit: tl:dr: Yes, it's safe.

Here's some more technical background: https://www.cui.com/blog/usb-type-c-pd-and-pps

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply