How to sync 2 monitors with different resolutions?

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

So my rather ancient Acer H213H died on me. I think that I purchased it in 2011 or so, so no complaints there! I decided to get a 4K monitor, an Asus VG289Q and I'm really happy with it, the colors are great and the black is really black. However.... 

When I move a window from my 28" 4K to my 24" 1920 x 1080, (an Asus VG248QG), my windows don't resolve to the lower resolution and I have to resize them. Is there any way to slide windows between the 2 monitors and have the windows resize automatically?

Thanks!

zog

The windows are the same size, its just that your 4K monitor (assuming its running at 100% scaling) has many, many more pixels in a small space and windows are physically going to look smaller when you move them over to it. To those that are into high resolution and screen real estate, that's a perfect scenario and ideal. More room to fit windows on the screen. 

However, 28" is a very small screen for 4K and you'll likely be more comfortable by increasing the 4K panels scaling in Windows. You can maybe try 150% to start and adjust from there. Keep in mind though, if you increase the scaling so much that windows appear to be the same size between both monitors, you're giving up all the benefits of having a 4K display for desktop work and screen space but you still retain the sharpness. 

image.thumb.png.e5172072c9b2228686fd8ce7230c793e.png

@rickeo

Thanks for the information. I tried it and things are better, however, I am finding that I don't like the aspect ratio of the screen. I'm fine with the width, but the height really bothers me. I'm thinking that I will exchange it for a wide monitor. 

Do you have any thoughts on wide vs curved?

Thanks!

zog

31 minutes ago, zogthegreat said:

I am finding that I don't like the aspect ratio of the screen. 

That's interesting, 4K (3840x2160) and 1080p (1920x1080) are the same aspect ratio (16:9). Are you sure the display is running at the correct resolution?

Do you have any thoughts on wide vs curved?

Well, you don't really compare curved vs wide as most ultrawide displays are curved. I'm a full convert, I moved to Ultrawide in 2017 with my Asus PG348Q (3440x1440@100Hz) and will never go back to 16:9). 

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

That's interesting, 4K (3840x2160) and 1080p (1920x1080) are the same aspect ratio (16:9). Are you sure the display is running at the correct resolution?

Well, you don't really compare curved vs wide as most ultrawide displays are curved. I'm a full convert, I moved to Ultrawide in 2017 with my Asus PG348Q (3440x1440@100Hz) and will never go back to 16:9). 

This is what I mean, I find the monitor to large in height, I'm thinking that the aspect ratio of 21:9 on an ultra wide would be a better choice visually. 

Do you run two displays? I'm thinking of a curved along with my 24' Asus. I run several terminal windows to my servers and I like having them on a separate screen.

Just now, zogthegreat said:

This is what I mean, I find the monitor to large in height, I'm thinking that the aspect ratio of 21:9 on an ultra wide would be a better choice visually. 

Do you run two displays? I'm thinking of a curved along with my 24' Asus. I run several terminal windows to my servers and I like having them on a separate screen.

I have three displays currently. If you look above in the image you can see my display layout. The center screen is my 34" curved ultrawide. I'd like to replace it with a 38" 3840x1600 ultrawide but the model I'm looking at is $1400 or so.. so that will have to wait a bit.

I like pixels, lots of them. The old Dell 2560x1600 on my left is going to be replaced by a 4K panel soon as well.

Hmmm, I noticed that one of your monitors is in an up/down orientation, that would probably work well for the space that I have.

Thanks for the help and advice @rickeo!

2 minutes ago, zogthegreat said:

Hmmm, I noticed that one of your monitors is in an up/down orientation, that would probably work well for the space that I have.

Thanks for the help and advice @rickeo!

Oh, yeah. I have a vertical 1080p display that is purely for Discord lol

I use a vertical display at home here and at work for Outlook/email. It's a game changer, works so well.