Red Lines on Screen and Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

m4kman

Hello everybody,

It might be a bit of a long read but please bear with me. I've been facing an issue for quite a few days now. I have a GTX 760, which I know is a pretty old card, and I was running Windows 11. I was playing a game (CS:GO, to be specific) and out of nowhere, my system crashed. No BSOD, nothing, everything was just stuck so I was forced to restart. Did that, opened up the game again and same thing happened. This time, however, when I restarted, I had artifacts on my screen.

I tried the usual troubleshooting methods i.e. complete reinstall of display drivers using DDU, re-seated the GPU but it didn't fix the issue. I checked the Device Manager and saw that I was getting the Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) error message on the display driver. I figured the GPU is dying so I ordered a new one and it arrived yesterday. I uninstalled all the display drivers using DDU, installed the new GPU and tried to boot up but I couldn't.

The motherboard wasn't posting and it was stuck on a solid VGA white light. Removed the gpu, tried to boot it up without one, this time it didn't get stuck and went through the cycle and then finally was stuck again on VGA white light because no GPU was installed. After this, I installed the new GPU again and after a few seconds of being stuck on VGA white light, it booted up. However, the problem that I was facing with the old GPU was still there. The only difference being, instead of screen artifacts, I had red dots/lines on my screen and the same Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) error message in the Device Manager. I have tried a ton of troubleshooting and nothing has fixed it.

Here's what I have tried so far:

• Complete Display Drivers Reinstall
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated AMD Chipset Drivers (because of Windows 11 issues)
  • Windows Clean Install
  • Different Monitors
  • Different DisplayPort Cable
  • Different PCIe Slot

I'm heavily leaning towards a hardware issue at this point but I have no idea what could be causing this if not the GPU. I've attached pictures for context. The one with the artifacts is with the old GPU (GTX 760) (last two pictures) while the ones with the red lines/dots (the first three pictures) are with the new GPU (3070). Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

My setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming-Plus (WiFi)

PSU: CORSAIR TX650 80+ Bronze

GPU: Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC

Cheers.

first.png

fifth.jpg

fourth.jpg

second.jpg

third.jpg

Hi,

I have tried going back to Windows 10. Same thing there as well, I performed a clean install.

I'll try CMOS reset now to see if that works.

Code 43 indicates either a driver or hardware issue typically.. When you messed with the drivers, did you use DDU in Safe Mode to remove the drivers completely before reinstalling? If you did, and this is continuing to happen my best guess would be a hardware issue, perhaps in the PCI-E slot, so try a different slot.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Hi,

Just cleared my CMOS and the issue is still there.

@PwnyTheTiger, initially I didn't use Safe Mode. However, later on, I did try it in Safe Mode as well but to no avail. I'm using the new GPU on a different PCIe slot already, so I don't think that's the issue.

EDIT: I've been told by someone that this is probably a RAM issue. Could that really be? What are the chances of RAM interfering with the display?

EDIT 2: Also, I don't know what it's worth, but it takes longer than usual for my PC to post now. If I look at the motherboard, the VGA white light stays on for a bit longer before the BIOS (green light) lightens up for a sec or so and then goes away.

Try the RAM shuffle then and see if that helps. Remove all, put 1 in at a time in different slots.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Hi, sorry for the delay.

For anyone interested, the issue was caused by my Ryzen 5 3600 processor. Need to replace that, luckily, it's under warranty.