I did a Linus

I dropped my 5900x that was in its plastic shell about 1m onto concrete. 

It was working before now it won't boot. None of the pins are bent. 

It won't boot in my friends motherboard either. It's there anything I can do to try repair it or is it going in the bin? 

If it doesn't boot it's probably dead. Does anything turn on at all? Any RGB it might have or fans? Whoops, I read 6900 X and assumed GPU 😛 Probably something in/on the PCB or die broke when it was greeted by mr concrete floor.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

If all the pins are straight and none are broken, there's not really anything you can do. You might be able to try the oven trick (buy a toaster oven for cheap, you don't want to do it in the same oven that you eat out of, and bake that CPU for 5-10 minutes at 400F), but that's not a permanent solution and might do more damage than good. If nothing else works, and you have an old toaster oven that you were gonna throw out, give it a try, but know that you're probably gonna have to buy a new CPU.

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

If it doesn't boot it's probably dead. Does anything turn on at all? Any RGB it might have or fans? Probably something in/on the PCB or die broke when it was greeted by mr concrete floor.

It doesn't post at all the rest of the CPU looks normal. 

Damn, what an expensive mistake. Thanks guys. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If all the pins are straight and none are broken, there's not really anything you can do. You might be able to try the oven trick (buy a toaster oven for cheap, you don't want to do it in the same oven that you eat out of, and bake that CPU for 5-10 minutes at 400F), but that's not a permanent solution and might do more damage than good. If nothing else works, and you have an old toaster oven that you were gonna throw out, give it a try, but know that you're probably gonna have to buy a new CPU.

What's that do, melt the solder back to place? 

if it doesnt look like physical damage, i'd say just RMA it

whether you want to be honest is up to you

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, gammatsunami said:

What's that do, melt the solder back to place? 

It reflows areas where there's cracked solder. 

But as @Moonzy said, if you can get away with RMA'ing it, it's worth a try. Worst they can do is send it back

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It reflows areas where there's cracked solder. 

unless your oven is set to 220-240c, reflowing isnt occuring

and if you're melting solder, the pins might start falling off, don't want that happening now do we?

realistically, you're heating the bare die to around 110c-120c for 5 minutes, purpose is to heatshock it, trying to make the microbumps on the chip to contact the substrate better, not melting solder

but if heatshock can fix it, meaning gradually it'll get to that point by the heat cycles of using it, highly not recommended

Only problem there is I'm an idiot. I threw out the original packaging. So I'm completely stuffed. 

Just now, gammatsunami said:

Only problem there is I'm an idiot. I threw out the original packaging. So I'm completely stuffed. 

i dont think AMD requires the packaging to RMA it, you can always find out

if u ask me, the plastic shelling is all you need

6 minutes ago, gammatsunami said:

Is the serial number on the CPU? 

It should be laser etched onto the top of the IHS of the CPU. This should be the third row down from the name. 

Here is more information on where to find it.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib-step3#:~:text=The Processor's Model Number and,and in the instruction book.&text=An email will be sent,sending in your defective processor.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Thanks for that. Maybe I can even just return it and see if they can fix it. Or if it works for them