How to gift Christmas PC?

I'm specing out a new desktop computer for my wife as a Christmas gift. I wanted to see how you guys think I should gift it to her.

(Option 1) Already built - Having the pc already built has advantages; she can start using it immediately. It will be more presentable in it's completed stage

(Option 2) Individual pieces - Having the pc disassembled would mean that we could build it together.

Personally, I don't think she would mind either way. I was more or less curious to read your feedback. Thanks!

pick 12 days, give 1/12 of a pc to her every day. Done and dusted

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On the twelve days of Christmas my true love gave to me, a new GPU and a Zen3.

Sorry couldnt resist.

Edit: But education is key in todays world. I'd say build it together.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

18 minutes ago, Graphic Sauce Media said:

I'm specing out a new desktop computer for my wife as a Christmas gift. I wanted to see how you guys think I should gift it to her.

(Option 1) Already built - Having the pc already built has advantages; she can start using it immediately. It will be more presentable in it's completed stage

(Option 2) Individual pieces - Having the pc disassembled would mean that we could build it together.

Personally, I don't think she would mind either way. I was more or less curious to read your feedback. Thanks!

If the already built option is buying a prebuilt then id say def 2nd option cause prebuilts suck ass most of the time tbh

Though id personally be on the 2nd choice anyways cause might aswell teach her on how pcs work

Also you may wanna start a thread in the new builds and planning section if you need any help

4 minutes ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

What if you wrap every part and hide it around the house, for each hidden part, you write a clue.

You give her the empty case as the first wrapped present, under the tree, with a promise inside to help her get a whole system built in the future. Give her the Christmas card, with the clue to the first part. Each time she successfully finds and installs a part, you give her the next clue.

I think it would not only add another layer of fun, but probably also help reinforce the memory, not dissimilar for using a 'Mind Palace' memory technique, just a real life one.

I second this. It's certainly much more interesting.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If the already built option is buying a prebuilt then id say def 2nd option cause prebuilts suck ass most of the time tbh

Though id personally be on the 2nd choice anyways cause might aswell teach her on how pcs work

Also you may wanna start a thread in the new builds and planning section if you need any help

I would not be a prebuilt

Have you asked her what she wants?

Surprise gift is fine but I guess getting her what she wants might be better

If I had to pick from your option, just give her parts and if she doesn't want to build it you could build it after the fact

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 hours ago, Graphic Sauce Media said:

Option 2) Individual pieces - Having the pc disassembled would mean that we could build it together.

Build it together, she’ll appreciate it more , after seeing the build process and overall effort y’all put into it 

If your wife is quite techy and you think you and her would enjoy building it together then I would build it with her as it could be fun.

If your wife just uses a computer to do things and doesn't appreciate the techy side then I say you should build it and gift it for her.

Either way I am sure she would really enjoy a computer especially if she built it or just you!

I'd include her. Even if she isn't techy putting it together... together will make the memory stick better. And possibly be funnier.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, HanZie82 said:

On the twelve days of Christmas my true love gave to me, a new GPU and a Zen3.

Sorry couldnt resist.

Edit: But education is key in todays world. I'd say build it together.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me A FIIIIIIIIIIVE THOUSAND GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Four Shiny DIMMs

Three Light Up Fans

Two SSDs
And an RTX 3090

On 10/23/2021 at 11:00 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

cause prebuilts suck ass most of the time tbh

If money is no option then buy all the parts and assemble it together. 

The only way I could justify buying a GPU in this climate is with a prebuilt so I'd upgrade my whole system. (not dell ffs but something like ABS which uses commercial parts). 

If you can find a new gpu for a decent price then build your own as the other components are only slightly more expensive.