New build in 15 years... got some quick questions about temps and other things. Thanks!

mr_yellow

Hey Guys,

I recently put together a new rig after scoring a 3070 with the help of you guys here (THX!).  Got some quick questions.  First, here's the parts list:

HW:

Asus ROG Strix 3070

Asus TUF X570-Pro (WIFI)

AMD 5800X

Asus ROG Strix 850W PS (flipped so intake is facing bottom of case)

Samsung 870 Pro 1TB (in M2_2 Slot)

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600

Noctua NH-D15S

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact (stock case fans, 2 intake in front, 1 exhaust in back)

SW:

Installed Windows 10 but not activated yet

BIOS is up to date according to the asus armory crate app, DOCP profile enabled so have a 4800 OC (stock is 4200 boost)

Installed FanControl to link CPU and case fans to a mix of CPU and GPU temps.  essentially it will go 100% if GPU/CPU crosses 70C. GPU fan is on stock profile.

Installed GPU Tweak II and have a custom OC Scanner profile that goes up to 1995 Mhz (stock is 1905)

Q1) During stress testing (Furmark GPU and CPU testing), My CPU got right up to 90 degrees(CCD1 Tdie) with a boost of 4.45ghz.  Is this okay?  I was advised that the NH-D15S would be more than enough to cool the 5800X vs. an AIO so I went with the aircooler for reliability/safety's sake.  but 90 to me seems a little hot.  Would an AIO have been better?  The GPU seems to hover in mid 60's.  Ambient is a 21-22C basement room.

Edit: After some more searching, it seems like 90C is expected and my Boost clock seems reasonable.  Still would like to know if an AIO would have given higher boost clocks...

Q2) I originally had Ryzen Master installed which enabled an even higher 4950 boost but I figured out that was giving me in game crashes so I've since reset to default (4800) and don't run it anymore.  I thought ryzen master was "fool proof"?

Q3) When putting the system to sleep, the GPU Tweak Power Detect LEDs start flashing Red.  Is this an expected bug?  I've just disabled the power detect feature for now.

Q4) Am I using the right tools to control things here? or should I be using something else.  I've been out of the game for a long time now and this has been a steep slope to climb since the Athlon 64 days.  

Thanks in advance!

The parts choice id give a 7/10

X570 is uneccesary unless you run dual gpus and/or more than 1 gen4 nvme ssd

Rog psu is overpriced seasonic rebrand

870 pro is quite a weird ssd choice but im guessing you salvaged it from an older build or something?

1. Yea temps are expected even with a d15, the hotspot is in a weird place cause the layout of the cpu, 8 cores in 1 ccd and that ccd is not centered so weird hotspot which is hard to cool. Tbh an aio would be a better cooler in this situation though atleast an aircooler will basically last forever

2. Dont trust anything to be 100% "foolproof" cause software like this still has a long way to go

3. Tbh im not sure but if it works then just leave it alone

4. Eh bios tuning is the most reliable option

I dont really work with new hardware since im still on lga 775 trying to f around with bga rework to revive a ep45 ud3p along with other bullshttery so take my knowledge with a grain of salt cause im still on 13 year old hardware

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

The parts choice id give a 7/10

X570 is uneccesary unless you run dual gpus and/or more than 1 gen4 nvme ssd

870 pro is quite a weird ssd choice but im guessing you salvaged it from an older build or something?

1. Yea temps are expected even with a d15, the hotspot is in a weird place cause the layout of the cpu, 8 cores in 1 ccd and that ccd is not centered so weird hotspot which is hard to cool. Tbh an aio would be a better cooler in this situation though atleast an aircooler will basically last forever

2. Dont trust anything to be 100% "foolproof" cause software like this still has a long way to go

3. Tbh im not sure but if it works then just leave it alone

4. Eh bios tuning is the most reliable option

I dont really work with new hardware since im still on lga 775 trying to f around with bga rework to revive a ep45 ud3p along with other bullshttery so take my knowledge with a grain of salt cause im still on 13 year old hardware

Thanks for answering the questions. 

the mobo, PS and CPU and GPU came as part of a bundle. Was randomly on gpudrop.com when it came available so I just went for it. appreciate the feedback though.  Oh the SSD is an 980  pro NVMe not 870. Typo there. Hope that makes more sense. 

the goal was kinda to max out the build for gaming and make the most of the 3070 since I haven’t had a dedicated PC in ages.  I didn’t want to go through the hassle of reselling parts so I just kept everything from the bundle.

8 hours ago, mr_yellow said:

Oh the SSD is an 980  pro NVMe not 870. Typo there. Hope that makes more sense. 

Nope that makes even less sense unless you run server like workloads that require regular transfer of massive files

8 hours ago, mr_yellow said:

the goal was kinda to max out the build for gaming and make the most of the 3070

Then go overclock the 3070 and no it wont break since youd need to f around with shunt modding and/or bios modding to actually get into unsafe volts territory

Shove all power limits to max and just leave the temp limit at ~90-95, dont just let it run at 115c xD  then just find the max stable gpu core clock and vram clock

15 hours ago, mr_yellow said:

Asus ROG Strix 850W PS (flipped so intake is facing bottom of case)

Thats how we roll!

But I've noticed most manufacturers put the logo the wrong way, next time I go full China, they do it right (most ppl have psu on top, as it should be!)

20211023_223347.thumb.jpg.15e179403d05f16897c5639b6dea8298.jpg

🙃

(yeah, yeah, I know the cables are a mess... lol)

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

overclock the 3070

Actually,  undervolting = higher clock speeds. Unless you have liquid (nitrogen) overclocking a modern gpu makes no sense imo. 

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Shove all power limits to max and just leave the temp limit at ~90-95, dont just let it run at 115c xD  then just find the max stable gpu core clock and vram clock

U should really try undervolting lol...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

thought ryzen master was "fool proof"?

Nope it's actually pretty trash

Furmark

Don't use this...

90 degrees

Centigrades???

Am I using the right tools to control things here

Personally I like:

3DMark 

Superposition 

Heaven (not as benchmark but for quick overclocking/ undervolting stability test)

Prime95

14 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

TBF anything Seasonic is.

bios tuning is the most reliable option

Agreed. 

that explains the gpu approach i guess... sure putting lots of heat and voltage into gpus is still popular (evga and their cult followers  love doing that eg) but its really not that effective anymore and obviously not efficient at all, undervolting is so great cause it lowers overall temps a lot giving more thermal headroom for *all* components. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that explains the gpu approach i guess... sure putting lots of heat and voltage into gpus is still popular (evga and their cult followers  love doing that eg) but its really not that effective anymore and obviously not efficient at all, undervolting is so great cause it lowers overall temps a lot giving more thermal headroom for *all* components. 

I guess its basically the same situation as cpus nowadays, dont bother overclocking and just undervolt

Ah well im on 13 year old hardware so thats why i like ocing the crap out of my hardware, esp when the deathzone is ~2.05v, if only i had the cooling tho ;-; but ill prob just hook it up to a water bucket and put ice in xD

30 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I guess its basically the same situation as cpus nowadays, dont bother overclocking and just undervolt

yeah, I guess so. With my 3600 it all just doesn't seem to make a difference tbh, yeah I can get 100 points more in cinebench with a bit of pbo fiddling,  but either a positive or negative "offset" seems to have that effect lol... i just let it run at stock now, and it also pulls around 90w max, i wager that's realistically all it can safely do...

I did overclock my old 2200G tho, that actually made sense... (3.9ghz) 

Ram overclocking i did for fun, but also don't really see a difference to default xmp, it seems to give consistently "1fps" more tho tbf lol...

I remember overclocking my Ati X1950GT was fun, they had a "lock" you had to unlock,  boom, all the way to +50mhz!!! 🤣

Actually a great card , it played pretty much everything either at 1080p/30 or 720p/60 combined with an Athlon 64 x2 back in 2007, which was pretty great for a "pre-built" : D

30 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ah well im on 13 year old hardware so thats why i like ocing the crap out of my hardware, esp when the deathzone is ~2.05v, if only i had the cooling tho ;-; but ill prob just hook it up to a water bucket and put ice in xD

Heh, I mean at least thats hardware you can still do proper overclocking i guess!

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Heh, I mean at least thats hardware you can still do proper overclocking i guess!

Yea back when low end boards and low end cpus could be overclocked and youd gain a noticable benifit from it

My g31m s2c, a rather insconspicous low end mb does 542fsb, whoops both my p5q and p5q pro, p5q can only do 530 and the pro does 500

The only thing i see being able to beat my g31 is the ep45 ud3p that i bought, though im gonna have to replace the nb cause for whatever reason its chipped, ah well ~15$ worth of equipment should allow me to f around with bga rework