Setting up Remote Offsite Backup Using Two Unraid Computers

Soapy1234
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Can you port forward one end of this? Thats gonna make it much easier here.

Id probably port forward ssh on one of them, then use borg to copy the files. Then you can have it keep the last few versions by default and it only backs up changes.

Hey all,

I'm finally going for getting an offsite backup of my NAS by repurposing an old machine at my parents' house.  Both machines are running Unraid, but I don't know what is the smartest solution to setting up the second machine for backups--what program to use, how to encrypt it, will I be able to restore the 9.5+TB of stuff without a hitch, etc.  Currently I'm setting up everything locally before I move the hard drives to my parents' place (cause I'd rather use the faster local connection between two computers rather than doing the initial backup over the internet across 1000 miles), but I don't even know where to start with this.  I'd like the backup to be encrypted so that only I can access the files, but still be able to restore if $%&^ hits the fan.

I've been told Duplicati is no good for terabytes of data, and I'm not sure what the best solution is for my needs with nearly 10 Terabytes of data.  Anyone able to help?

8 minutes ago, Soapy1234 said:

I'd like the backup to be encrypted so that only I can access the files, but still be able to restore if $%&^ hits the fan.

What you want in that case is called Oxymoron. You cant have both encryption and "restorability" at the same time.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

What you want in that case is called Oxymoron. You cant have both encryption and "restorability" at the same time.

I was under the impression from the LTT Synology offsite video that it would be possible to do that, where it can be encrypted, and if I need to access it to restore lost data to a new machine due to a fire or flood that I would be able to do that (using encryption keys via flashdrive or a password).

Id probably port forward ssh on one of them, then use borg to copy the files. Then you can have it keep the last few versions by default and it only backs up changes.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I can.  What port tends to be the wisest?  IDK if there's a specific one I should use or if I should use one of the unused ports for that purpose.

I'll look into Borg.  Seems there's a Borgmatic docker container available in Unraid.

5 minutes ago, Soapy1234 said:

I can.  What port tends to be the wisest?  IDK if there's a specific one I should use or if I should use one of the unused ports for that purpose.

I'll look into Borg.  Seems there's a Borgmatic docker container available in Unraid.

Prort doesn't relly mtter, its just using ssh,. Id set it to something like 43256 so its not commonly checked like the default 22. And Id make it cert auth only, no passwords.