Overclocking know-nothing

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

In general, the boost behavior of CPUs isn't intelligent enough to know whether you're doing basic tasks or if you're doing something more intensive. The CPU recognizes that there is a load, checks if it has available power and thermal headroom, and then boosts to the max. So if you overclock your CPU, then when it boosts up, it will boost to that higher level.

However, when it comes to power draw and temperatures, while you'll notice a small increase when doing basic things, it is really going to be negligible. You won't notice a difference unless you're constantly monitoring. If your cooler can handle an all-core workload when oveclocked (something like rendering a video) then it will easily handle browsing the Internet. And if you are okay with the power increase seen when doing something intensive, then the minor power increase when working on office tasks shouldn't be a concern.

Hello all. I'm a computer layperson so there we are. When you have a new system and you overclock the, say, CPU; will there be a boost in power draw and temperature if I'm just using my PC for regular productivity work? No video editing or anything like that. Just standard office-person stuff but working from home. I guess another way to phrase my question is, will the performance boost (along with the corresponding side effects) only kick in when it's required, like when I'm gaming or doing other heavy stuff?

Cheers.

There will be no noticible difference with manual oc on the cpu, really, especially on ryzen

The idle temps may go up i fyou increase voltage.

If its a ryzen cpu, enable PBO 2.0 and be don

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

In general, the boost behavior of CPUs isn't intelligent enough to know whether you're doing basic tasks or if you're doing something more intensive. The CPU recognizes that there is a load, checks if it has available power and thermal headroom, and then boosts to the max. So if you overclock your CPU, then when it boosts up, it will boost to that higher level.

However, when it comes to power draw and temperatures, while you'll notice a small increase when doing basic things, it is really going to be negligible. You won't notice a difference unless you're constantly monitoring. If your cooler can handle an all-core workload when oveclocked (something like rendering a video) then it will easily handle browsing the Internet. And if you are okay with the power increase seen when doing something intensive, then the minor power increase when working on office tasks shouldn't be a concern.

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

There will be no noticible difference with manual oc on the cpu, really, especially on ryzen

The idle temps may go up i fyou increase voltage.

If its a ryzen cpu, enable PBO 2.0 and be don

Will take note. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Very helpful and informative. Cheers.