If you had to choose between Be Quiet! SFX-L Power 600 and Seasonic Focus SGX-650 for a silent PC?

Danid

Dear all,

I've been using laptops for the last 15 years and building a new desktop computer for the first time since then. I've nibbled information here and there on pieces to choose to put together and ended up with the following:

• CPU: Ryzen 5900X
  • Mother board: Aorus x570 I wifi
  • Graphics card (2nd hand); Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro
  • Case: Coolmaster NR200
  • Ram: 2x 16Gb Crucial balistix
  • Fans: all Noctua

I'd like to have a relatively silent PC so I was going for a Be Quiet PSU before seeing it only had a 3 year warranty... so I looked around and found the Seasonic SGX 650. Now because of unusual events, I find myself with both PSU at home and would love some long term review of these if anyone has something so say about them. Which for you would be a better choice to keep, and which should be sent back?

Well the seasonic psu has a silent fan mode and a longer warranty. My be quite PSUs have been reliable for more than 3 years too

🥦🥦

PSU noise is going to be least of your worry unless you go full cheap skate. Best way to get quiet PSU is to get a good brand one and higher power level than what your system will need. Though to me, this build makes so little sense. 600 euro CPU, 200 euro MB, but then like 80 euro case and looking at okay tier PSUs? Why mini ITX? How are you going to cool the CPU? I am guessing it's mostly for gaming?

@--SID--: Very bad experience with Corsair, got 2 faulty PSUs at arrival (as did a couple of friends) so I decided to change brand.

@Just that Mario: I don't feel the need to invest in super expensive cases. Mini-ITX because I want something small and compact, I've never been a fan of huge cases, nor LEDs or anything. This is mostly going to be used for programming, 3D modeling and eventually game once in a while (far from being primary usage). The CPU is being cooled down by a Noctua NH-C14S (biggest that could fit in the case.

1 hour ago, Danid said:

Very bad experience with Corsair, got 2 faulty PSUs at arrival (as did a couple of friends)

15 years ago? Because you didn't build a desktop in 15 years you said.

5 hours ago, Danid said:

for the last 15 years and building a new desktop computer for the first time since then

@--SID--: Nope, couple of years ago had to change one at the office. And this friend of mine has had the same problem end 2020 early 2021.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Was it this?:  https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-recalls-sf-series-platinum-psus-over-failure-concerns

Because that was a known issue that was quickly resolved.

Don't think so as this article is from June 2020, I've sent the link to my friend.

EDIT: he had that with an AX series. And as it was a new build he used the new cables.

45 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Most DOAs are user errors. Especially using the old cables with the new PSU.

Wouldn’t come in mind to use old cables with a new PSU. But I’ll keep that in mind if a friend asks what to do when he changes PSU.

9 hours ago, Danid said:

EDIT: he had that with an AX series. And as it was a new build he used the new cables.

Ok.. Just as an FYI, the AX Series are made by Seasonic and one of the reasons they were discontinued was because of a very high percentage of failures.  No ridiculously high, but higher than PSUs made by HEC, CWT and Great Wall.

But SID is right.  Most of the time when someone thinks a PSU is dead, it's because they used EVGA cables with a Corsair, Seasonic cables with a Cooler Master, etc.  Very common because people don't want to have to pull all of their cable routing out when they can just swap out the actual PSU.