Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok to remove downloads content?

This might be a silly question to most, but it has always puzzled me...

On the Download page of my computer, I have amassed many downloads (applications) through the years and have often wondered if it is safe to clear these after they have been installed?

I've always feared it would remove the application from the PC if I cleared them from the Download page.

Is it safe to do so?

Dell XPS 730X, Alienware 2.0 MB loaded with hybrid A11B bios, i7-990X, Nvidia GTX 980's in SLI, 12gb Critical Ballistix

4 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

This might be a silly question to most, but it has always puzzled me...

On the Download page of my computer, I have amassed many downloads (applications) through the years and have often wondered if it is safe to clear these after they have been installed?

I've always feared it would remove the application from the PC if I cleared them from the Download page.

Is it safe to do so?

If you don't need to reinstall the software again, you can safely delete the installation files. However, if the software is no longer available from the developers' site, sometimes it's good to save certain installation programs for future installations.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You're constructing a building. You'll need workers to do that. These workers will build the structure. Now, once you're done with the construction, will you need the workers? No.

Similar analogy here. Once you've installed the application, you don't need that installer unless you want to reinstall(or construct a new building in the example).

Hope this helps!

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL! Please, quote or mention people so they get a notification, please. pls let me know if i did something stupid

If I started a new shop, and named it "Shop", what would be your reaction? That's my reaction when people title their post as "Windows 11" or something shitty instead of something that actually describes what the thread is about. Only cool kids (dark mode users) can read this.

VPN Server Guide

4 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Now, once you're done with the construction, will you need the workers? No.

So you bury the workers under the lawn of your new building. No one will find them, and they won't be able to tell your secrets?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

You're constructing a building. You'll need workers to do that. These workers will build the structure. Now, once you're done with the construction, will you need the workers? No.

"execute order 66"

Main setup: Republic of Gaymers G531GT, Logitech G305, Apple 3.5mm Earpods, Kworld MP90 90x40cm cloth pad, external SATA optical drive

Main G531GT: i7-9750H (forced 55W boost), GTX 1650M (TU117 1024C, 4GD5, +150c +700d5),  2x8GB 2666MHz (Samsung/TeamGroup), Micron NVMe 512GB Gen 3 (Win10 21H2), Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA HDD, 1920x1080@158Hz IPS panel, tons of additional copper on bottom cover

Alt1, server: i5-4590, OEM stock aluminium cooler, Gigabyte B85M-D3H, Asus DirectCU II GTX 650Ti (or MSI R9 280 Gaming), 4x4GB 1600MHz (Kingston Fury Red 1600MHz x2, Panram Lightsaber 2800MHz x2), Samsung 860 Evo 512GB SATA (Win10 21H2), 160GB shared HDD, AOC 210S 1680x1050@60Hz D-sub monitor, all inside an Acer office PC case with decent airflow, brutally modded to fit long cards and avoid sagging

Alt2, iMac 21.5" (late 2011): i5-2400S, Radeon HD 6750M (512mb, MXM), 4x2GB 1333MHz (Samsung/Hynix?), Seagate 500GB SATA (macOS 10.13 High Sierra), 1920x1080@60Hz LCD panel

And 2 old working rigs that are pending the arrival of their IDE drives and installation of their systems (sexy Athlon XP and Pentium 4 with HT rigs), gonna get retro 😉

Well also depends where you installed things... if its in the same folder deleting it, will obviously delete the install as well.

Plus you may need to reinstall at some point and then finding the installers on the internet can be a pain...!

Lastly windows likes to clear the folder out sometimes , so my suggestion is to move the stuff you really want to keep to another location. 

Tldr: is it safe to delete?  depends on your definition of "safe". 

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Machines

-ColdFusion, 2021

It depends. Are the programs you downloaded just an installer? If it is then it's safe to remove. 

Is the program you downloaded the actual program, like in the case of many portable programs (as in, they do not need to be installed). 

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

If you mean Downloads folder, then sure. Thats all the things you have personally selected to download. They aren't, or aren't supposed to be, used regularly by any software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv