Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bga reballing on a budget

Budget (including currency): cheap as possible (~15$ +-5$)

Country: indo

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: just basic stuff and alot of overclocking (if revived)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): upgrading from a p5q to (if revived) an ep45 ud3p

 

If anyones been reading my build log thread you know my ep45 has a shot nb and it needs to be replaced, i have a dead p5q pro laying around and the nb seems to be good so im thinking of swapping the nb of the p5q pro into the ep45 ud3p and see if i can revive it

 

im looking into some very questionable methods on doing this cause budget so im thinking of converting an iron into a heat gun and making a diy stencil with a drill

 

I do have some scrap metal laying around so ill prob use those for stencil though is there a way to reball without stencil that isnt just manually placing a sht ton of balls on their pads?

 

Also how do i insulate stuff from heat? Cause i dont wanna break something else while doing my god awful attempt at bga rework, would kepton tape and/or art eraser work?

 

I do know i need a heat gun (ill diy this) some solder balls, some flux, tweezers, and something to use as a heat insulator, Anything else im missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

making a diy stencil with a drill

Could be frustrating to drill that lot of precise holes for such so small holes.

 

23 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

kepton tape

Saw few balling videos they used this so.. I guess go for it?

 

25 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

reball without stencil that isnt just manually placing a sht ton of balls on their pads?

I imagine this would be a lot more frustrating than the drilling itself. You could use solder paste maybe?

 

 

Probably you posted on the wrong sub-forum either tho.

Humor me, as you should do.

 

Daily drivers, below.

 

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 3.2 GHz 4C/4T CPU || ASRock B75M Motherboard || Team Group 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 + LG L177WSB Monitors || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

 

Acer Aspire 4253, runs as NAS 24/7

AMD E-350 1.6 GHz 2C/2T CPU || 3 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM || 1 TB HDD for whole family movie pleasure

 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage  || 64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage || Resurrection Remix Custom ROM

 

Audio

Some random 2.1 home-theater speakers with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho. || dbE DJ100 Headphone || Rock Space Obsidian Earphone || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before transform iron into heat gun, maybe try to make it with halogen lamp and reflector

 

Also kapton tape is heat resistant not heat repellant

[{a:7},"f1","f2"],
["f3","f4",{x:1},"esc",{a:4},"!\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n1","@\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n2","#\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n3","$\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n4","%\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n5","^\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n6","&\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n7","*\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n8","(\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n9",")\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n0","_\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n-","+\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n=",{a:7},"back",{x:1},"insert","home","up"],
["f5","f6",{x:1},"",{x:-1},"tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P",{a:4},"{\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n[","}\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n]","|\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\\",{x:1,a:7},"del","end","down"],
["f7","f8",{x:1},"caps","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",{a:4},":\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n;","\"\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n'",{a:7,w:2},"enter"],
["f9","f10",{x:1,w:2},"shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M",{a:4},"<\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n,",">\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n.","?\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n/",{a:7,w:2},"shift",{x:2},"up"],
["f11","f12",{x:1,w:2},"ctrl","fn","win","alt",{w:2},"",{w:2},"","alt","menu",{a:4},"~\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n`",{a:7,w:2},"ctrl",{x:1},"left","down","right"]
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

Before transform iron into heat gun, maybe try to make it with halogen lamp and reflector

I think ive seen indonesian tutorials on using halogen lamps instead of heat guns, not exactly a replacement for heat guns cause how the hell am i gonna reball the chipset after i take it off with a bloody halogen lamp?

 

Would be pretty decent if i were looking to build a rework station cause its gonna be more precise than a heat gun but im just looking for the cheapest solution

 

Also ive found a "mini" heatgun for 3$ and its rated at 300w for some reason and says that its capable of reaching ~200c so that should be enough for melting solder and reflowing

 

 

35 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

You could use solder paste maybe?

Hmm that might work and be more convenient than manually placing a bunch of balls that look like they want to fall off and also not having to buy specific sizes but what temp do i need to reach for the solder paste to convert into solder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think ive seen indonesian tutorials on using halogen lamps instead of heat guns, not exactly a replacement for heat guns cause how the hell am i gonna reball the chipset after i take it off with a bloody halogen lamp?

Simply put the new reballed chipset back and let the lamp do the rest maybe? But for the sake of the hassle either, probably would be easier to just get a heat gun.

 

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Also ive found a "mini" heatgun for 3$ and its rated at 300w for some reason and says that its capable of reaching ~200c so that should be enough for melting solder and reflowing

Never known heat-gun actually that cheap, even mine's kind of around $15-20 ish maybe (welp it's the quality product one). Link?

 

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Hmm that might work and be more convenient than manually placing a bunch of balls that look like they want to fall off and also not having to buy specific sizes but what temp do i need to reach for the solder paste to convert into solder?

Tbh I don't even experienced in any re-ball soldering and just seeing those kind of videos. Probably others can help you better.

Humor me, as you should do.

 

Daily drivers, below.

 

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 3.2 GHz 4C/4T CPU || ASRock B75M Motherboard || Team Group 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 + LG L177WSB Monitors || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

 

Acer Aspire 4253, runs as NAS 24/7

AMD E-350 1.6 GHz 2C/2T CPU || 3 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM || 1 TB HDD for whole family movie pleasure

 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage  || 64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage || Resurrection Remix Custom ROM

 

Audio

Some random 2.1 home-theater speakers with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho. || dbE DJ100 Headphone || Rock Space Obsidian Earphone || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Never known heat-gun actually that cheap, even mine's kind of around $15-20 ish maybe (welp it's the quality product one). Link?

https://www.tokopedia.com/tokodibandung/taffware-qst-express-heat-gun-electric-hot-air-vinyl-230v-300w?src=topads

Actually im kinda having second thoughts now cause my cheap chinese mini dremel cant even cut through thin scrap metal, even cheap ass scissors work better xD

 

Ill look for other heat guns now

 

Edit : found one that looks to be abit higher power and alot less like a pos https://www.tokopedia.com/klikperkakas/nankai-hot-air-gun-heat-gun-pistol-pemanas?src=topads

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://www.tokopedia.com/tokodibandung/taffware-qst-express-heat-gun-electric-hot-air-vinyl-230v-300w?src=topads

Actually im kinda having second thoughts now cause my cheap chinese mini dremel cant even cut through thin scrap metal, even cheap ass scissors work better xD

 

Ill look for other heat guns now

 

Edit : found one that looks to be abit higher power and alot less like a pos https://www.tokopedia.com/klikperkakas/nankai-hot-air-gun-heat-gun-pistol-pemanas?src=topads

Add 50k and you'd get something with decent quality (personally using their drilling machine and cordless screwdriver, fine as wine until now) and that 1 year warranty would be kind of useful in some cases.

https://www.tokopedia.com/teknikmart/promo-black-and-decker-kx1800-500-600c-hot-air-gun?src=topads

Humor me, as you should do.

 

Daily drivers, below.

 

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 3.2 GHz 4C/4T CPU || ASRock B75M Motherboard || Team Group 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 + LG L177WSB Monitors || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

 

Acer Aspire 4253, runs as NAS 24/7

AMD E-350 1.6 GHz 2C/2T CPU || 3 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM || 1 TB HDD for whole family movie pleasure

 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage  || 64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage || Resurrection Remix Custom ROM

 

Audio

Some random 2.1 home-theater speakers with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho. || dbE DJ100 Headphone || Rock Space Obsidian Earphone || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Add 50k and you'd get something with decent quality (personally using their drilling machine and cordless screwdriver, fine as wine until now) and that 1 year warranty would be kind of useful in some cases.

https://www.tokopedia.com/teknikmart/promo-black-and-decker-kx1800-500-600c-hot-air-gun?src=topads

Idk if i wanna spend an extra 90k over the heat gun ive picked, maybe if it breaks ill consider your reccomendation

 

I am spending quite abit more than usual on equipment but i can prob convince mom to buy for me since i have some broken boards and 4 seem to be fixable with this method, 2 p5kpl am se, 1 g31m es2c, and 1 p5qpl am

 

One of the p5kpl am se has a broken sb (human error by me cause the f ing thermal compound was hard as a rock), prob gonna be able to salvage a sb from another one of my mbs

 

Another has a broken socket with snapped pins so i can also salvage a socket from another mb, same with the p5qpl am

 

And the g31m es2c has a prob internally shorted sb so i can salvage an sb from one of my boards

 

 

The order of importance for me is g31m es2c - p5kpl am se - p5qpl am

 

Im more eager to fix the g31m es2c and 2 of the p5kpl am se boards and just salvage all my sht from my other mbs like my dead p5q pro, p5qpl am (trash fsb overclocking), and maybe even the gp41 board if any of the parts are even compatible (basically unrevivable and also trash fsb overclocking)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like im already spending near 20$ but i think itll be worth it when i can fix a crap ton more boards now, though i may upgrade the setup later and actually make a basic rework station with an extra heatgun below the mb that im gonna desolder

 

Currently i am looking to buy tweezers, universal stencil, heatgun, solder paste, flux, and a magnifying glass. Anything else that i might need?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Idk if i wanna spend an extra 90k over the heat gun ive picked, maybe if it breaks ill consider your reccomendation

To be fair, my house consisted of shit ton of equipment: the ol' expensive Bosch, Makita/Matkec, Tekiro/Ryu, Prohex, in the middle Black and Decker, even as the good-yet-inexpensive as Modern brands...

 

Depending on the use, yet the price-to-quality never lies. In a nutshell, the Bosch saw and drill, bought probably nearly a decade and half ago, still running fine until today. Got a legendary Maktec grinder and drill, for, like, half of decade and those things are actually the real deal as it used so much, daily, probably 5-8 hours a day, yet it just don't die. We got two Modern grinders... Welp, unusable for now as it needs repair on the motor and, you'd just get a new tool instead.

 

That's why I'd reconsider to get a kind of 'more expensive' equipment for the same function, they simply just last longer, hence reducing the 'belum dipake apa-apa udah rusak' runts, if you get what I mean.

 

Hell, I even bought a nearly $5 USB to USB-C charging cable, been close to 2 years and no problem/even deformation so far, compared to my old cable that I bought for... $2, yet the cable broke more faster than my relationship.

 

On 10/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I am spending quite abit more than usual on equipment but i can prob convince mom to buy for me since i have some broken boards and 4 seem to be fixable with this method, 2 p5kpl am se, 1 g31m es2c, and 1 p5qpl am

 

One of the p5kpl am se has a broken sb (human error by me cause the f ing thermal compound was hard as a rock), prob gonna be able to salvage a sb from another one of my mbs

 

Another has a broken socket with snapped pins so i can also salvage a socket from another mb, same with the p5qpl am

 

And the g31m es2c has a prob internally shorted sb so i can salvage an sb from one of my boards

 

 

The order of importance for me is g31m es2c - p5kpl am se - p5qpl am

 

Im more eager to fix the g31m es2c and 2 of the p5kpl am se boards and just salvage all my sht from my other mbs like my dead p5q pro, p5qpl am (trash fsb overclocking), and maybe even the gp41 board if any of the parts are even compatible (basically unrevivable and also trash fsb overclocking)

Dang, lots of mobo there. Good luck fixing those things tho. I would do the same thing over my recently-dead laptop as it's chipset died but... I don't think I would bother to even daily drive that anymore.

 

17 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Seems like im already spending near 20$ but i think itll be worth it when i can fix a crap ton more boards now, though i may upgrade the setup later and actually make a basic rework station with an extra heatgun below the mb that im gonna desolder

To be fair I spend nearly $200 for my final project and 40% of what I bought.... Basically, unusable. Not that kind of 'unusable', but it just sitting with no use so far, yet might be usable on the future.

 

17 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Currently i am looking to buy tweezers, universal stencil, heatgun, solder paste, flux, and a magnifying glass. Anything else that i might need?

Do you have a solder already? 60W one or more would be good. Don't bother with something below 60W as they can melt the solder too slow that it heat the components and it can break them up.

 

And seems like it, you already have the basic things to do it.

Humor me, as you should do.

 

Daily drivers, below.

 

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 3.2 GHz 4C/4T CPU || ASRock B75M Motherboard || Team Group 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 + LG L177WSB Monitors || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

 

Acer Aspire 4253, runs as NAS 24/7

AMD E-350 1.6 GHz 2C/2T CPU || 3 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM || 1 TB HDD for whole family movie pleasure

 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage  || 64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage || Resurrection Remix Custom ROM

 

Audio

Some random 2.1 home-theater speakers with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho. || dbE DJ100 Headphone || Rock Space Obsidian Earphone || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Do you have a solder already? 60W one or more would be good. Don't bother with something below 60W as they can melt the solder too slow that it heat the components and it can break them up.

I only have a 40w but maybe ill just preheat it before using it

 

I think ill just buy the stuff that i need for desoldering furst before buying the other stuff like stencil, flux, and solder paste cause i need to know what the hell im dealing with before buying the other half of the stuff for reballing and resoldering cause i dont wanna waste money

 

 

7 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

That's why I'd reconsider to get a kind of 'more expensive' equipment for the same function, they simply just last longer, hence reducing the 'belum dipake apa-apa udah rusak' runts, if you get what I mean.

Or just buy old expensive equipment used

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think ill just buy the stuff that i need for desoldering furst before buying the other stuff like stencil, flux, and solder paste cause i need to know what the hell im dealing with before buying the other half of the stuff for reballing and resoldering cause i dont wanna waste money

Go for this then.

 

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Or just buy old expensive equipment used

Would be good on something like phones/laptops/PCs or consumer electronics, but I wouldn't do it for something that being 'abused' so much after all of their life. If it's broken, welp, you know what's next.

Humor me, as you should do.

 

Daily drivers, below.

 

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 3.2 GHz 4C/4T CPU || ASRock B75M Motherboard || Team Group 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 + LG L177WSB Monitors || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

 

Acer Aspire 4253, runs as NAS 24/7

AMD E-350 1.6 GHz 2C/2T CPU || 3 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM || 1 TB HDD for whole family movie pleasure

 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage  || 64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage || Resurrection Remix Custom ROM

 

Audio

Some random 2.1 home-theater speakers with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho. || dbE DJ100 Headphone || Rock Space Obsidian Earphone || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×