custom keyboard

GloriousGamer321

-= Topics Merged (8) =-

One Subject, One Topic One Posting.

Spam posting is against the rules, keep it clean, keep it simple, KISS.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

No, the cases are different. The underlying boards (PCB, cable, stabilizers) are the same, however.

716U679R4fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg     81vll0NivgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Left: Standard Drop CTRL. Right: High-Profile Drop CTRL.

The Drop CTRL Mechanical Keyboard (first link) is equipped with the low-profile case. Once the keyboard is assembled with switches and keycaps, the switch's top housing will be visible underneath the keycaps.

The Drop CTRL High-Profile Mechanical Keyboard (second link) is equipped with the high-profile case. The case's high-profile frame hides the switch housings from view, such that only the keycaps will be visible from the side.

i said besides the looks

7 hours ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

i said besides the looks

The looks are important to mention though, as it decides more about the keyboard too.

For example, the edges of the higher profile will keep in more of the RGB and may interfere with thicker keycaps (those thicker keycaps may touch the edge of the higher profile case when pressed down). This higher vs. lower profile also means it's easier to remove keycaps on the low profile case, as the higher edge may interfere with a keycap puller. Cleaning the keyboard in general may be easier too, as the lower profile case will mean you can spray some compressed air between the rows of keys to remove some dust.

Keys on the edge of the keyboard - particularly the bottom row keys - have to be hit from the top on a high profile case, while on a low profile case you have some more leeway on where you hit the key.

So while 'high vs. low profile' is a visual difference, it also has an impact on the rest of the keyboard and your experience with it, which is difficult to judge as the above aspect are very subjective on if they matter to you.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/