custom keyboard

GloriousGamer321
9 minutes ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

1 keyboard,

oh and also i checked out your guide on lubing and i have a question, for lubing the springs don't you have to like get a bag put some lube in it, put all the springs and then shake it all until its all covered?

Yeah, 5g is way more than enough. 

That's called bag lubing and only works if you use an oil like Krytox 105. For grease just brush on on the lube like any other surface.  

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Yeah, 5g is way more than enough. 

That's called bag lubing and only works if you use an oil like Krytox 105. For grease just brush on on the lube like any other surface.  

so the lube you linked should be more than enough, and i should just brush the springs

23 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Yes.

ok let me summarize my build

Gmmk pro

Gbpt keycaps from glorious

Zeal Transparent Gold Plated Screw-in Stabilizers V2

Kailh Novelkey Cream

stabilizers and switches will be lubed with GPL205 G0 - 5g

(lubing the switches is the only mod i will be doing)

can i change anything to make it better?

Curious why NK Creams? They need A LOT of work to make them good. You should probably break them in for a month or 2 before lubing. Once lubed they stop breaking in. If you just want a smoot linear there a metric ton of other options, most of which don't need any work other than lubing. 

Zeal Stabs are good but way over priced. Durok and Equalz stabs are just as good and a lot cheaper.  

Another mod you can, and should do is wire balancing your stabilizer wires, regardless of which brand stabilizers you get. 

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Curious why NK Creams? They need A LOT of work to make them good. You should probably break them in for a month or 2 before lubing. Once lubed they stop breaking in. If you just want a smoot linear there a metric ton of other options, most of which don't need any work other than lubing. 

Zeal Stabs are good but way over priced. Durok and Equalz stabs are just as good and a lot cheaper.  

Another mod you can, and should do is wire balancing your stabilizer wires, regardless of which brand stabilizers you get. 

any other switch that gives a little thonc, what does break in mean? how do i wire balance my stabs? any link to a good stab that is from one of those brands

There's tons but I'd personally get either Gateron Ink Black, or Gateron Cap V2 Yellow. Filming both also is recommended. (switch film is cheep and easy to apply if you have the switch already opened to lube it) 

Break in means working the switch, by pressing it repeatedly, until it becomes smoother. Creams are POM housing with a POM Stem. POM on POM is unusually making Creams unique and they're really the only ones that need this treatment. 

Just google Durok V2 or Equalz stabs. You'll find places selling them. 

Wire balancing is the process of making sure the wire is straight and symmetrical, and bending it to be so if it wasn't.  I recommend looking up on youtube how to do it. But in short you find a known perfectly flat surface (a pane of glass for example)  lay the wire on it and tap on the ends. If it's not flat the opposite side lifts up a bit and rattles. 

46 minutes ago, geo3 said:

There's tons but I'd personally get either Gateron Ink Black, or Gateron Cap V2 Yellow. Filming both also is recommended. (switch film is cheep and easy to apply if you have the switch already opened to lube it) 

Break in means working the switch, by pressing it repeatedly, until it becomes smoother. Creams are POM housing with a POM Stem. POM on POM is unusually making Creams unique and they're really the only ones that need this treatment. 

Just google Durok V2 or Equalz stabs. You'll find places selling them. 

Wire balancing is the process of making sure the wire is straight and symmetrical, and bending it to be so if it wasn't.  I recommend looking up on youtube how to do it. But in short you find a known perfectly flat surface (a pane of glass for example)  lay the wire on it and tap on the ends. If it's not flat the opposite side lifts up a bit and rattles. 

link to filming tutorial or what ever you need to film, oh and also another question, do you film first or do you lube first? i found this one https://shop.modedesigns.com/products/durock-v2-stabilizers

but don't you need a special right shift stab for the gmmk pro?

is this the switch you are talking about? https://divinikey.com/products/gateron-cap-v2-switches

You film after lubing, but before closing up the switch ousting.  it super simple, just line it up and place it on the bottom housing before putting the top housing on. 

It should look like this when applied. Having a fine tweezers makes it easier to place but it's not necessary.  The only thing to look out for is that you don't accidently place 2 of them on there, they can stick to each other sometimes in the packaging. 

image.png.e6129f0513b95034c830b9bc047c90d1.png

Yes those are the switches and stabs I mentioned. 

I could be wrong It doesn't look like the GMMK Pro needs a special stabilizer size. Just 1 6.25u and 3 2u length stabs, which you will get in the vast majority of stabilizer sets you can buy.  GMMK Pro has a short shift which doesn't require a stabilizer as it's shorter than 2u. 

image.thumb.png.a159b32fc68e26aa2298b66e2256471d.png

2 hours ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

any other switch that gives a little thonc,

BTW if you're going after that deeper thock sound, consider getting the GGMK Pro with the polycarbonate plate option rather than aluminum one.  

Although it does use plate foam, so it might not matter as much.

21 minutes ago, geo3 said:

BTW if you're going after that deeper thock sound, consider getting the GGMK Pro with the polycarbonate plate option rather than aluminum one.  

does it come with it or do i have to buy it separately?

42 minutes ago, geo3 said:

i heard the glorious panda switches and now i love em, it gives me an option to get pre lubed and un lubed which one is better lubing myself or prelubed

Budget (including currency): 200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: roblox, school, typing and other things

Other details my sister needs a keyboard, she lives in an apartment with 2 roommates, and they are either in zoom meetings or sleeping, so she needs a quiet keyboard so she doesn't disturb them, she is going to be playing games such as roblox and minecraft, `++++++++ 

2 minutes ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

Budget (including currency): 200

Yeah no, you cant even scrape by a low end custom keyboard with that budget. If you want some interchangeability in the future, then try GK68X by Epomaker.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 hours ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

i heard the glorious panda switches and now i love em, it gives me an option to get pre lubed and un lubed which one is better lubing myself or prelubed

Please keep in mind that how a keyboard sounds has a lot to do with the case, plate and keycap as well. The switch only plays a role in that. And not even the biggest one. If you are comparing switch sounds they have to be done in the same keyboard. 

Also FYI the glorious panda is a tactile switch. It seemed like you were interested primarily in linear switches before. 

As for pre lubed vs doing it yourself - I'd say doing it yourself is almost always better. 

You can build a low end custom keyboard on that budget (or customize a prebuilt or barebones keyboard). You can make one fairly quiet with some work, but I believe the best way is find a silent switch that you like, which will take big chunk of the budget. (Gateron Silent, ZealPC Healios/Tealios/Zilents and several others I can't remember the names of)

I've been trying to make my build (which cost less than $200) quiet and there are some noises I just can't get rid of without a silent switch.

My 100% Ducky One 2 with Silent Red's was under $200 USD.  Prebuilt is probably the way to go.

for the glorious lynx switches, there are 2 types, pre lubed and non lubed, which one do you think would be better getting pre lubed or lubing yourself?

-= Topics Merged =-

One topic is enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 hours ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

no one is responding

Cannot make people respond.  Reposting a topic is in breach of the forum rules.

When the right member sees your topic and knows the answer they will respond.

You can bump your own topic once every 24hrs.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hello! I have a couple questions about keyboard building/modding

1. i am preparing to buy the Durock V2 Stabilizers and it isn't pre lubed, what is the best lube for it?

2. are these knock off Mizu keycaps any good? https://www.banggood.com/118-Keys-Mizu-Keycap-Set-Cherry-Profile-PBT-Sublimation-Keycaps-for-Mechanical-Keyboards-p-1813527.html?rmmds=search&act_poa=SKUG92659&cur_warehouse=CN

3. are these gaskets any good? https://kbdfans.com/products/d65-gaskets

4. i want to buy the glorious lynx switches but they come in 2 types pre lubed and non lubed, which one is better to lube yourself or to just get pre lubed?

5. does the gmmk pro come with a coiled cable?

(all of these mods are going on the gmmk pro)

Hey there.

30 minutes ago, GloriousGamer321 said:

aren't these keyboard cases basically the same besides the looks?

No, the cases are different. The underlying boards (PCB, cable, stabilizers) are the same, however.

716U679R4fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg     81vll0NivgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Left: Standard Drop CTRL. Right: High-Profile Drop CTRL.

The Drop CTRL Mechanical Keyboard (first link) is equipped with the low-profile case. Once the keyboard is assembled with switches and keycaps, the switch's top housing will be visible underneath the keycaps.

The Drop CTRL High-Profile Mechanical Keyboard (second link) is equipped with the high-profile case. The case's high-profile frame hides the switch housings from view, such that only the keycaps will be visible from the side.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)