Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended PC Build Request - Project for a Disabled Friend

1. Budget & Location

Located in Australia, and the budget is AUS$5000

2. Aim

General

• Web browsing
  • Video streaming (watching anime/movies)
  • Twitch streaming
  • Video recording/rendering
  • 3D work (for printing)
  • As for storage I was going to go 2TB or more, as for the videos themselves I plan on (after they are edited and uploaded) moving them on to a external hard drive if some variety.

Gaming

• World building games (High end: Raft - low end: Oxygen, not Included)
  • MMOS (FFXIV, Destiny, etc)
  • Farming sims (Harvest Moon style)
  • Simulator games (pressure washer sim, train sim, latest Microsoft flight sim and Ace Combat 7 in VR)
  • 1vs1000 style games (Dynasty Warriors style)
  • Anime jrpgs (Shinmegami Tensei, Persona, Hyperdimension Neptunia, etc)
  • Emulation
  • Capture card (hopefully built in (Elgato 4k60 Pro preferred)) Usage: XBOX series X, PS5, Nintendo Switch, Wii U, XBOX360, PS4
  • Recording will probably be a mixture of Streamlabs and obs Editing, rendering will be Adobe premiere pro. Modelling will be a mix of unity ,blender and Maya depending on what in particular I'm doing

3. Monitors

N/A as I will be using a flat screen TV (70"JVC 4K)

4. Peripherals

Windows O/S

5. Why are you upgrading?

New machine from scratch, from the End User; "I mainly want this PC to be able to be used for a few years without needing to be upgraded. Preferably low maintenance. I mainly was gonna go for AMD because I was thinking longevity power wise I've been told the Ryzen 9 and 7 5600 runs better without overclocking than the Intel i9 or i7. The PC is mainly gonna be Windows because I'm lazy and don't want to faf about with Linux as Windows is what I'm used to.

Recording whilst gaming would be necessary as there will no doubt be a day I have scheduled to stream and am working on something at the same time. I will also be recording while streaming so it can be edited and shortened for YouTube later."

6. Case Preferences

Features

• Full size case
  • Open air style (preferred)
  • Colour preference: Purple (not essential)
  • RGB lighting would be nice (not essential)
  • Combination cooling (mix of fans and water cooling) (preferred because of the room it will be in, it does heat up quite a bit during an Aussie dry summer.)
    •           Type of water cooling: Either is fine
    •           Case fans: Powerful
  • GPU: Preferably high-end AMD

Please ask any questions you need to provide your recommendations

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Tangerine07
Provide updates based on questions asked below

What kind of disability are we talking about, and whether he/she can handle what you have presented here?

With vid card prices (scalper prices) this would be a difficult build. I suggest to hold off on a high end graphics card for now and focus on all the other components. Just get an average vid card. for example a 6900xt oc is about $3,500 or more depending on where you look. Are you sure you need a high end GPU?

On 10/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, ET_Explorer said:

What kind of disability are we talking about, and whether he/she can handle what you have presented here?

Yes indeed, nothing extant with the End User that prevents use of this PC. Thanks for asking.

Edited by Tangerine07
Clarification

On 10/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, Rich.m said:

With vid card prices (scalper prices) this would be a difficult build. I suggest to hold off on a high end graphics card for now and focus on all the other components. Just get an average vid card. for example a 6900xt oc is about $3,500 or more depending on where you look. Are you sure you need a high end GPU?

We've talked about this problem and there's two ways to sort it (we think):

1. Try for a RTX 3070/3080 AMD equivalent (apologies I'm not up to speed with AMD GPU cards).and see what can be bought to meet the need with what's left

2. Look at all components first, less GPU, then see what GPU can be got to make up the budget.

The endgame would be to meet your response but when the high end GPU is available there should be no other hardware upgrades needed to install it.

Clear as mud!!

Why amd gpu anyways? Are you gonna run linux? Cause amd has better linux drivers than nvidia linux drivers

16 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Why amd gpu anyways? Are you gonna run linux? Cause amd has better linux drivers than nvidia linux drivers

Your answer, quoted from the expectant end user:

"I mainly was gonna go for AMD because I was thinking longevity power wise I've been told the Ryzen 9 and 7 5600 runs better without overclocking than the Intel i9 or i7. The PC is mainly gonna be Windows because I'm lazy and don't want to faf about with Linux as Windows is what I'm used to."

The need for Windows is listed in the original blurb above.

Thanks!

I think people have a hard time coming up with something because of the "streaming / video recording / capture card"-requirements.

Can you figure out what storage is needed for those? Is he recording in 4k? From what I've seen 4k can be 110GB per hour. So maybe 1TB-2TB "slow" SSD is enough? He probably needs an awful lot of storage to keep those or at least compressed versions of the recordings?

The games themselves don't look like they need much CPU/GPU power, except maybe flight sim. What game is it?

What tools does he use for video recording, editing and rendering?

Does he need to be able to play games while rendering videos?

On 11/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, slowy said:

I think people have a hard time coming up with something because of the "streaming / video recording / capture card"-requirements.

Can you figure out what storage is needed for those? Is he recording in 4k? From what I've seen 4k can be 110GB per hour. So maybe 1TB-2TB "slow" SSD is enough? He probably needs an awful lot of storage to keep those or at least compressed versions of the recordings?

The games themselves don't look like they need much CPU/GPU power, except maybe flight sim. What game is it?

What tools does he use for video recording, editing and rendering?

Does he need to be able to play games while rendering videos?

All good questions slowy, I'll get them answered for you soon.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, slowy said:

1. I think people have a hard time coming up with something because of the "streaming / video recording / capture card"-requirements.

2. Can you figure out what storage is needed for those? Is he recording in 4k? From what I've seen 4k can be 110GB per hour. So maybe 1TB-2TB "slow" SSD is enough? He probably needs an awful lot of storage to keep those or at least compressed versions of the recordings?

3. The games themselves don't look like they need much CPU/GPU power, except maybe flight sim. What game is it?

4. What tools does he use for video recording, editing and rendering?

5. Does he need to be able to play games while rendering videos?

Answers from End User:

1. As for the capture card I was hoping for something around this, or this exactly Elgato 4k60 Pro. 

2. As for storage I was going to go 2TB or more, as for the videos themselves I plan on (after they are edited and uploaded) moving them on to a external hard drive if some variety.

3. The Flight Sim is the new one by Microsoft, I will also be playing Ace Combat 7 in VR and recording that, if that helps.

4. Recording will probably be a mixture of Streamlabs and obs Editing, rendering will be Adobe premiere pro. Modelling will be a mix of unity ,blender and Maya depending on what in particular I'm doing

5. That would be necessary as there will no doubt be a day I have scheduled to stream and am working on something at the same time. I will also be recording while streaming so it can be edited and shortened for YouTube later.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, Tangerine07 said:

Answers from End User:

1. As for the capture card I was hoping for something around this, or this exactly Elgato 4k60 Pro. 

2. As for storage I was going to go 2TB or more, as for the videos themselves I plan on (after they are edited and uploaded) moving them on to a external hard drive if some variety.

3. The Flight Sim is the new one by Microsoft, I will also be playing Ace Combat 7 in VR and recording that, if that helps.

4. Recording will probably be a mixture of Streamlabs and obs Editing, rendering will be Adobe premiere pro. Modelling will be a mix of unity ,blender and Maya depending on what in particular I'm doing

5. That would be necessary as there will no doubt be a day I have scheduled to stream and am working on something at the same time. I will also be recording while streaming so it can be edited and shortened for YouTube later.

Alright, I think I got something...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($435.00 @ PC Byte)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($269.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($227.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($155.00 @ BPC Technology)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($239.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  ($2699.00 @ BPC Technology)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Gigabyte AORUS P GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($157.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $4489.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-05 13:26 AEDT+1100

-> capture card not included (+ ~370$)

It's lots of requirements,... Gaming on 4k needs a lot of GPU power, compared to 1440p and 1080p. Most games are fine, but Microsoft Flight sim could be a problem. Using the PC for a few years without upgrading with the games listed should be fine - it's actually overkill if we exclude MS Flight Sim - but then again, there will be new games the next years. I asked if he needed to render vids while gaming, I think you understood if he needs to record videos. Recording is totally fine, but rendering while gaming is a bit tough. It's like two PCs you need at once...

CPU: The 5600X is great value. For instance 5800X would be better for creator things, but I think gaming is the primary use of the rig.

CPU Cooler: I assume up to 40°C ambient temps 😛 - According to benchmarks, it's really close to the 360 variant. The 5600X doesn't get as hot as the 5800X (TDP 65 Watt vs 105)

Board: Probably needs BIOS upgrade (possible w/o CPU). Has an additional PCI-E x16 where you can put the capture card. Only 1Gb/s Ethernet, no WiFi

Memory: RGB 🙂 -> 32GB for video editing. Probably minimum for 4k video editing. Not entirely sure about the memory sticks, there's probably some with better value + RGB.

SSD: 1TB: Should be possible to record onto SSD and also edit vids from here, that should be give a better experience.

HDD: 8TB: Cheaper than external drives. And convenience.

Video Card: Way too expensive, but fits the budget... I decided to pick an Nvidia card, because I think it's better value.

Case: One of the best airflow cases. Also it's very large, maybe we can get a smaller one. Comes with 3 fans intake at the front. With the CPU cooler as exhaust, it should give decent airflow. Maybe add an exhaust for better airflow later. Purple is hard to find, you know 😛 - if he doesn't like the aesthetics, there's others with similar performance around that price range.

PSU: Bit overkill for now, just considering ability to upgrade.

RGB: I really don't know the products, but I found stuff that's compatible with Gigabyte's RGB Fusion: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/NJrmP6/rgb-led-light-strip-speclux-led-strip-for-modding-pc-case-motherboard-control-12v-4pin-rgb-compatiable-with-asus-aura-asrock-rgb-led-gigabyte-rgb-fusion-msi-mystic-light. You probably need an RGB splitter cable for 25$. Hm, you probably need it anyway for the RGB fans.

Things to consider:

Instead of getting a great GPU now, get something decent - and probably reduce quality / resolution in MS flight sim. But make the rest of the rig for creator tasks better. And upgrade the GPU in 2022/2023. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jdkvgt -> Faster CPU / RAM, better Cooler, downgraded GPU: $4086.66. We could upgrade the CPU a bit more or use an even faster SSD, or find a board with WiFi or 2.5Gbit ethernet, if needed. But I have the feeling that's a good "breaking point", aka the more money we spend, the less performance we get for it...