Justifying The Notch?

9 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

The level of integration between iOS/macOS, copying and pasting between them etc works so well that it wouldn't surprise me if Apple could do a really excellent job of having macOS make use of a nearby iPad/iPhone as a webcam should they want to do that.

There is an excellent (albeit 3rd party) app that does this pretty well actually. Tho, I wouldn't be surprised if apple decided to do it too.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

I'd rather have the notch than have one of those dreadful booger cameras below the screen.

if that's the issue they could have centered the screen vertically and fit the camera on the resulting top bezel, thus sacrificing none of the screen real estate.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

Not every person who uses mac needs to suck on their toes. I'm critical of most companies and Apple is no exception, despite being an avid Mac OS user myself.

You'd have to be utterly delusional to not think Apple does a lot of absolutely braindead shit and has been becoming increasingly sloppy.

You would need to watch his channel for context. It’s his business model, not his opinion. He uses really awful clickbait and seemingly hates every single Apple product he buys… yet continues to buy them.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

For the past three or so years I've been postponing getting a new phone, just because I just don't like what is out there on the market currently. That which I dislike includes lack of reparability, little to no phones with microSD expansion, but mainly notches/holepunches/etc.

When those screen disruptions started to appear I had hoped it would be a year or two thing, where companies would make phones with it, realize "Oh wait, no one likes this" and move back to a design with a thin headbar, rather than any form of screen disruption. But alas, they have not (yet?!) moved away from notches/holepunches, so I will continue to wait.

A lot of people have mentioned you'll quickly get used to it, but it's just not something I want to get used to. I don't want one of my devices to have an ugly screen disruption, while all my other devices don't have it. I feel like the only one this screen disruption benefits is the company making the device, as they can now boast a higher screen-to-body ratio.

I don't even use the front-facing camera, so these screen disruptions are to accommodate a - for me - unused feature. Why don't they put this much effort in adding a feature such as the headphone jack again!? Alas, I've given up all hope on that ever coming back, so have I given up most of my hope for a notch-less phone too.

It's fine if people use the front camera, it's fine if people are okay with notches; I just don't want one on my device, but I'll probably have to cave in some day

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Linus says on the WAN show that it looks terrible and I don't disagree. But I think 99% of the deciding factor is that it would look similar to an iPhone with the notch. 

He mentions that a protruding bump/tab would be better and apple could just convince their users to like it by saying its great, but I think the notch works only because its been in the iPhone for a little while (since the 10).

Also adds something else as a status symbol to quickly identify that you have a premium Apple product

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

@Tamesh16Merged to existing thread.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Notch or Bump are both compromises born from a desire to reduce the top bezel depth.  Personally I think I prefer the notch purely because if it's a bump you'll have the camera/glass protruding beyond the length of the laptop when the display is closed, making for more potential "uh oh" moments while in transit. 

On 10/23/2021 at 12:08 AM, Jaesop said:

Seems weird to prefer bezel over extra screen?

I think it's weird to be so screen obsessed we'll cut a notch into the screen just so we can say we have a .1inch more larger screen. or a .1 inch smaller bezel. Bezels were never the problem and treating them like they were is how we end up with phones with notches and bullet holes.

On the mac functionally it looks like we're just introducing waste of space screen that doesn't really do much. That's a lot of design work for a screen that will be used just for the main menubar.

I dunno..

I have an XS Max 256, and yes it has a notch.. but the screen is large enough I don't really notice it much. And even when I do, its not really a big deal at all. I don't understand the strong emotions towards it. It really is silly, and by silly I mean ridiculous. But everyone is built a little differently so it is what it is I guess. I personally don't care, and because I don't care I am not stuck using an ancient phone, though it is getting up there now..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 10/27/2021 at 8:28 AM, Quackers101 said:

unless it HAS a privacy slide or switch and why is it not really a standard yet?

Because privacy slides are a completely unnecessary feature to satisfy misguided paranoia in a tiny fraction of the customer base. They serve no real purpose.

The government isn’t conducting surveillance through your webcam. The amount of storage required to keep video and audio from the billions of devices out there would take a data center the size of Texas. Have you seen a Texas sized data center recently?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Because privacy slides are a completely unnecessary feature to satisfy misguided paranoia in a tiny fraction of the customer base. They serve no real purpose.

The government isn’t conducting surveillance through your webcam.

wouldn't say so, when there has been many cases back or some time ago. That was around laptops, then school tools that was enabling or other remote access paths. Not thinking about government at all. Or the recent YT'er that shot someone ("ex") through installing a listening/camera app or something like that on their kids Ipad or laptop.

like eeh.

Notch?

(-_-)

(°□°) ┻━┻

┻━┻ \(°□°)/ ┻━┻

█▬▬ (`ﮧ´ )

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's like Windows 8. Horrible. Disgusting. But, it's a version what Microsoft is known for. 

The notch. Horrible. Disgusting. But, it's become what Apple is known for.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

5 minutes ago, EDK Tech said:

It's like Windows 8. Horrible. Disgusting. But, it's a version what Microsoft is known for. 

That certainly is not a universal opinion. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

32 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That certainly is not a universal opinion. 

Windows is the lineup Microsoft is known for...should I use 98SE or Vista instead?

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

1 hour ago, EDK Tech said:

Windows is the lineup Microsoft is known for...should I use 98SE or Vista instead?

Why not Windows 11? It's not that bad - actually, from a stability standpoint, I would say it's on par with Windows 10, which is actually quite good. At least better than most "quick-install"-Linux distros (Like Ubuntu or Fedora). There is a reason why Windows still dominates the market. It's not like MacOS was unusable for the past 20 years. If Windows would be THAT terrible, the landscape certainly would not look like that. But that's also a different topic.

Regarding the Notch: From what I've seen is Apple doing a good job in hiding the notch on the MacBooks, but that's something you can only do, if you own the operating system. If a Windows-Laptop manufacturer would do the same, you'd hide browser-tabs behind it. 

It's a solution only Apple can implement properly - and regarding the size, I guess they just opted for a "future proof" notch-size, in case of them implementing FaceID at one point. So they do not have to deal with different notch-sizes in the future.

It's weird, but certainly not a dealbreaker for me. The dealbreaker is more that... I wouldn't have a use-case for such a machine.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jaesop said:

Seems weird to prefer bezel over extra screen?

Nah, because a bezel has additional benefits,  such as usability (it makes a device easier to hold and operate) plus a "notch" apparently means non standard screen ratios, i really dislike this, either i turn the  notch on or off on my phone,  it will never be 16:9 which means I have bars at the borders, or a zoomed in few of what would be otherwise perfectly fine 16:9 footage. 

The notch serves no purpose,  doesn't offer more "screen real estate" (not without heavy drawbacks) Ever wondered why 23:8 etc tvs never took off... ?

Edited by Mark Kaine

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I actually like the look (unlike many). It is screen real estate which is really important for me. And it has exactly as many pixels as top bar, so only it will be there. Apps get whole 16:10 display without having to worry about the bar taking space. And if you do something full screen, the screen on the level of notch will probably just be turned off if app isn't made for using it; screen has pretty good black levels so it shouldn't be a problem.

People disagreeing - saying that it's ugly, lazy and uselss - coming in 3... 2... 1...

it's ugly, lazy and uselss

joking.... 😛

my opinion that no one asked for, I have a s21 ultra and it has the hole punch and yes its obtrusive...Iv'e gotten used to it and im ok now but yes underscreen is the future and we see it soon enough, I think the highest resolution camera for under screen is 8mp hopefully they can iron the tech out and we will see underscreen cameras that are high quality being used soon..as for batteries kinda vearing off topic but I think batteries are the next big jump, graphene based batteries, a 10 000 mah battery can charge in 10min with optimizations it wont last longer but if you charge you iphone or galaxy phone in 10 min or 6 min to 80 percent it will be a bigger deal than say underscreen camera

A couple of days in, and I simply haven’t noticed the notch when in dark mode and admittedly carefully selected wallpaper. 

image.thumb.jpeg.150c7ebeebf0e6e90bb8a005f12c15b0.jpeg

played 2013 Tomb Raider (all 3 games are on sale via Steam atm) today, so quite an old game, full screening the game automatically set the game to an aspect ratio which hid the notch. 

I’d say any eating of content when full screening an app would take some exotic abuse of Apple’s APIs to happen. 

why not just put the camera on the top of the lid?  have it hinged so you can put it forward for video chatting.  the rest of the time, it folds over, out of sight.

the question is..

take a little bit of screen away?

give a little room and normal screen?

answer is simple..