New/First Post: Quad Monitor Card (Linux)

winstontj

I came here because I found Linus and Luke's Linix challenge thing on YouTube. I need a quad-monitor video card that works with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I'm not a gamer and it's a little different use case. I have 4x (four) 20-inch-square monitors (yes square, not widescreen) in a 2x2 orientation. Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable (non-gamer) professional/workstation quad-card that works well with current Ubuntu 20.04? Ideally a LP card. 

I'm frustrated with NVIDIA proprietary drivers but to be fair, the Quadro NVS 450 wants NVIDIA driver version 340.108 (which is not new). 

Thanks.

Maybe an RX 550 or some other low-end RX 500 series AMD GPU? the RX 550 I know has DP, and you can get a DP hub to get the 4th monitor hooked up. Those can be a pain to use though. 

Thanks. I'm REALLY trying to avoid using hubs. I don't really know much about AMD: I've never (in my life) used an amd cpu or video card. I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable marching down that road of a DP hub knowing how much trouble I'm having right now with a 4-port video card. 

Hmm. They are only about $100 on eBay. Maybe it's worth giving them a try. I do a lot of CUDA stuff: Can you write to amd cards just like nvidia/cuda? At this point I'll run a headless machine with nvidia/cuda cores in it if an amd video card will work for quad-monitors. 

Are there any "higher number" cards such as a RX 600 or RX 650 that have four monitor ports?