Bought an RTX 3080 ti and it is underperforming please help

Mike9

I recently purchased an RTX 3080 ti and a ryzen 9 9500x. After installing both of them at the same time the pc booted up fine and went into bios. I then decided to overclock the cpu and ram with the tool present in my bios. However, after the tool was finished overclocking my cpu and ram there was no display on my monitor and I had a white vga light showing on my motherboard. 

Due to this I decided to reseat the graphics card and made sure that all the pins were properly connected. I then restarted the PC but ran into the same problem (no display and white vga light on the motherboard). But the thing is that the rgb on the graphics card was working without a problem plus all my other components were functioning fine. 

Following this I replaced my new graphics card with my old graphics card (RTX 2080 super). This worked and my pc turned on without a problem. Then I proceeded to open my bios and return to default setting (reverting the oc). Plugged my RTX 3080 ti in and it worked. No white vga light and it booted up fine. I then continued to use my RTX 3080 ti without running into any problems. 

My question is why did I have no display and a white vga light on my motherboard with my RTX 3080 ti but not my RTX 2080 super? If anyone can answer this I will be grateful. 

specs:

ryzen 9 9500x

rtx 3080 ti gigabyte Vision oc 

Asus rog strix B450-f gaming ii 

16gb Corsair ram 3200mhz

corsair RM750x 

14 minutes ago, Mike9 said:

white vga light on my motherboard

Not enough power from the PSU, you need a better powersupply.

I had the exact same issue on my motherboard showing white light.

You need a 850 or a 1000 powersupply.

Recommend you the RM850X or RM1000X.

edit. I had the FractalDesign Integra M 750w Gold, motherboard kept showing a white light and this forum including the manual for my B350-F motherboard said it was coming from the graphics card not getting enough power/juice. RM850x is probably enough, but i would get the RM1000x just to be sure not to trip the ocp 🙂 (Over tripping protection i think it was.)

edit2: Some places now, even HX1000 or HX850 is cheaper/same price as the RM-series, get that for that platinum feel if its the same price 🙂

edit3: Yes, i know their website says 750w, but thats usually never the case when it comes to these cards.. doing 400 to 420 watt of the graphics card alone..

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I recently purchased an RTX 3080 ti Gigabyte vision oc. However, I have noticed that I am not reaching anywhere near the FPS that other people are reaching in their games. In games like rdr2 with an 1080p display and all settings maxed out I am gettting around about 65fps, which is well below what I was expecting. I uninstalled all of the previous drivers from my old card an installed new drivers for my 3080 ti. 

I know that it’s not my cpu as I have a ryzen 9 5900x and when I looked at the usage it seems fairly normal with my graphics card having a usage somewhere in the high 90s and my cpu having a usage somewhere around 20%. 

At this point I have no idea what I can do to resolve this and I am thinking of just returning the gpu. Any help would be appreciated. 

full specs:

ryzen 9 5900x

RTX 3080 ti gigabyte vision OC

Asus rog strix b450-f gaming ii

16gb Corsair ram 3200mhz

corsair RM750X 

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Not enough power from the PSU, you need a better powersupply.

I had the exact same issue on my motherboard showing white light.

You need a 850 or a 1000 powersupply.

Recommend you the RM850X or RM1000X.

edit. I had the FractalDesign Integra M 750w Gold, motherboard kept showing a white light and this forum including the manual for my B350-F motherboard said it was coming from the graphics card not getting enough power/juice. RM850x is probably enough, but i would get the RM1000x just to be sure not to trip the ocp 🙂 (Over tripping protection i think it was.)

Thanks for that I was actually thinking of upgrading my power supply as I wasn’t sure if it was good enough. One thing though I actually have another issue with my plea phi so card I just now posted it. Would appreciate it if you took a quick look. 

3 minutes ago, Mike9 said:

One thing though I actually have another issue with my plea phi so card I just now posted it.

" plea phi so card "

Uhhh what?

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Sounds like the results you would get at around 4k not 1080p
Do you have any scaling going on? have you tried the card with other games and benchmarks? 

PC: 4k screen, 3080ti and 5900x. 32gb ram @ 3600mhz. 850w psu

Keep it in one topic.  No need for a repost.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

16 minutes ago, Sphio said:

Sounds like the results you would get at around 4k not 1080p
Do you have any scaling going on? have you tried the card with other games and benchmarks? 

Ok I’m kinda dumb. Just did a benchmark on rdr2 and turns out my average FPS was 89 with all settings maxed out. It was just the area that I was in that really dropped my FPS. But on hell let loose my FPS does sometimes drop to the medium 60s again with all settings maxed out. On far cry 6 average FPS with all settings maxed out is 95. Apart from those games I haven’t yet tried anything else out as I just got the gpu yesterday. 

Hopefully it’s just my stupidity and not the graphics card 😁

Thanks for the help though 

@Mike9 I have merged your threads. Please stick to a single thread for the same issue. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

36 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

" plea phi so card "

Uhhh what?

Sorry had my keyboard switched to a different language. I was asking if you could take a look at another post that I made but the issue has already been resolved don’t worry about it. 

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@Mike9 I have merged your threads. Please stick to a single thread for the same issue. 

Ok sorry 

Just in case anyone encounters a similar problem to mine. The solution was to update my bios.

After updating my bios I saw a great increase in my FPS with RDR2 running at about an extra 30-40 FPS.