Internet behaving weird

breydan

I've been running into some problems with my internet speeds lately, I should be getting at least 400 download, but most of the time I never hit that.

Unfortunately this issue only happens on my PC, so I'm thinking it could be a hardware issue even though that would suck the most.

This is a speed test I ran using a Cat-7 rated cable, and I'm wondering why the speed starts off so low and quite slowly gets higher?

Running a test on another PC or on my phone instantly goes up to around 350-400 as expected, so I know it isn't just the internet behaving poorly overall.

Spoiler

UeqyVq3bZb.gif.222044bf961f7c477c272dca2355db64.gif

I have tried to use the wireless adapter that came with my TUF x570 PLUS and connecting with 5Ghz, but that only gets me to about 150Mbps.

I've had this motherboard for about 4 months, and never had any issues before I had to switch (old one broke sadge) so I'm thinking its most likely something to do with that, but I would really rather not have to take everything apart and build it again.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

Can you perform the speedtest from another OS install? Second storage drive or something like Ubuntu off a USB? This would help narrow down if this is a software issue or hardware issue.

Yeah sure, good idea. Flashing Ubuntu onto a USB and I'll make another reply when I'm done with the speedtest

56 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Can you perform the speedtest from another OS install? Second storage drive or something like Ubuntu off a USB? This would help narrow down if this is a software issue or hardware issue.

On Linux it instantly went up to 460mbps (pretty awesome considering the plan says 400)

So seems to be a software issue

1 hour ago, breydan said:

On Linux it instantly went up to 460mbps (pretty awesome considering the plan says 400)

So seems to be a software issue

Unfortunately I can't really advise you further then. Network performance issues with Windows are commonly reported on the forum. Been that way for a few years and I suspect it's likely due in part from Windows aggressive system updates making background changes to things it shouldn't be touching.

I've not seen any easy fix nor have I seen anybody with this issue solve it without simply doing a whole OS re-install. That's been the only solution I can offer.