Ubiquity Dream Machine with a UDM PRO

NoblekingZ
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
35 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

There is one line runing into the home that is a FTTC line (a copper wire) which terminates into a RJ11 connection (inside the home) so I would have to get a converter to convert it from RJ11 to RJ45 to plug into the Ubiquity Switch.

so you have dsl. Then plug the dsl modem into the udm pro or a switch that has vlans setup right.

33 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

A modem is required after the connection comes into the home which is basically what I think the UDM-Pro does not support?

yea your gonna need a modem to convert the dsl into ethernet.

Why do you want a dream machine? You already have the udm pro that has the router + 

I think you just want a access point here, Id get a access point like the unifi 6 lr.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you want a dream machine? You already have the udm pro that has the router + 

I think you just want a access point here, Id get a access point like the unifi 6 lr.

Yes but I cannot just take out the ISP's Router as the UDM Pro doesn't have the capabiliy of the router as far as i'm aware as I know the UDM-Pro SE has that functionality but not the UDM-Pro.

I want to move the main point of my network from the front door into the loft but I am restricted by the lack of router functionality for port forwarding and so on on the UDM-Pro

Just now, NoblekingZ said:

Yes but I cannot just take out the ISP's Router as the UDM Pro doesn't have the capabiliy of the router as far as i'm aware as I know the UDM-Pro SE has that functionality but not the UDM-Pro

The UDM pro has a full router included, Did you try using the router on it?

The Se just has a poe switch, otherwise its the same router in both.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The UDM pro has a full router included, Did you try using the router on it?

The Se just has a poe switch, otherwise its the same router in both.

ah ok, i'll give this a go 🙂

Just now, NoblekingZ said:

ah ok, i'll give this a go 🙂

Does the isp router allow for bridge more or forwarding all ports? Thats what Id do here if you can't disable it.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the isp router allow for bridge more or forwarding all ports? Thats what Id do here if you can't disable it.

to replace this I would need to get an AP with a few ports as there are some devices that terminate their connections at the exsisting router. the Dream Machine is the only one with the funtionality for switching and an AP in one if i'm correct?

The router is a basic BT home router so I don't think it would have the ability to do bridge.

11 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

to replace this I would need to get an AP with a few ports as there are some devices that terminate their connections at the exsisting router. the Dream Machine is the only one with the funtionality for switching and an AP in one if i'm correct?

The router is a basic BT home router so I don't think it would have the ability to do bridge.

Most of those home routers allow for port forarding a range or all ports, id do that here. 

And you can have multiple layers of routers, only really a isue with hosting websites.

Why did you get the UDM pro here then? Might as well use if you got it. Id return it if you can though.

Id put the udm pro next to the modem/isp router, then plug those devices into the udm pro, then put aps around the building.

I got the UDM-Pro so I can have a simple place to manage my whole network and also take advantage of the Unifi Protect system when I get some cameras to put on it too, currently there is just the ISP Router > UDM-Pro > UAP-LR (for wireless devices on the top floor of the building).

The router is located by the front door so putting the UDM-Pro there is not an option as I am wanting to move the hub of the network into a dedicatred server room I am building in the home, I have two devices currently plugged into the router which I cannot extend the cables of to reach the server room due to wall and floor and floor access to run more lines up the building.

So when replacing the ISP router I will still need a small switch and an AP in that location to serve the devices in that part of the house hence why I though about using a Dream Machine all in one router as a better solution as it would provide an AP and a switch in one small unit.

29 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

I got the UDM-Pro so I can have a simple place to manage my whole network and also take advantage of the Unifi Protect system when I get some cameras to put on it too, currently there is just the ISP Router > UDM-Pro > UAP-LR (for wireless devices on the top floor of the building).

The router is located by the front door so putting the UDM-Pro there is not an option as I am wanting to move the hub of the network into a dedicatred server room I am building in the home, I have two devices currently plugged into the router which I cannot extend the cables of to reach the server room due to wall and floor and floor access to run more lines up the building.

So when replacing the ISP router I will still need a small switch and an AP in that location to serve the devices in that part of the house hence why I though about using a Dream Machine all in one router as a better solution as it would provide an AP and a switch in one small unit.

Can you put a switch next to the router? Then you can use vlans so that you can have the devices next to the router on the network the udm pro creates, and have the wan connection all over one wire.

Id keep the udm pro, and just add a switch and ap as you said, the udm isn't made for this use, its made to be the controller, not work with a existing one.

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you put a switch next to the router? Then you can use vlans so that you can have the devices next to the router on the network the udm pro creates, and have the wan connection all over one wire.

Id keep the udm pro, and just add a switch and ap as you said, the udm isn't made for this use, its made to be the controller, not work with a existing one.

Ok so for me to do that I would need to run a second line from the Server Room to the front door as one line would need to be dedicated for WAN and then a second one for connecting the switch to the UDM-Pro?

That way I could remove the ISP router rather than daisy-chaining the switch to the router as it seems that any switch that is not a Ubiquity switch doesn't show up on the dashboard as a switch when viewing the Topolgy view.

Also wouldn't there be an issue with the WAN connection as the UDM Pro would need a dedicated line for WAN rather than going via the switch to get a WAN connection bundled with the other wired devices? (See diagram)

image.png.92e291b7bb5f78dd306ed2b3b48a9893.png

2 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

Ok so for me to do that I would need to run a second line from the Server Room to the front door as one line would need to be dedicated for WAN and then a second one for connecting the switch to the UDM-Pro?

Id run a second cable if its easy, but you don't need to and can use vlans to have 2 seperate networks on one cable.

That way I could remove the ISP router rather than daisy-chaining the switch to the router as it seems that any switch that is not a Ubiquity switch doesn't show up on the dashboard as a switch when viewing the Topolgy view.

Id get a unifi switch, gonna make it easier to manage. Make sure the switch is plugged into the lan of the udm pro, then use vlans if you want wan traffic on it too.

3 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

Also wouldn't there be an issue with the WAN connection as the UDM Pro would need a dedicated line for WAN rather than going via the switch to get a WAN connection bundled with the other wired devices? (See diagram)

Vlans can do this config in your diagram.

alternatively I could connect it this way to remove the ISP Router but then again the WAN connection is still bundled with other wired devices going into the UDM-Pro.

Screenshot_12.png.f5ba3309a81059210aab83a036f7d63b.png

alternatively I could connect it this way to remove the ISP Router but then again the WAN connection is still bundled with other wired devices going into the UDM-Pro.

Screenshot_12.png.f5ba3309a81059210aab83a036f7d63b.png

How is that internet connection setup? Normally there isn't a long ethernet cable running to your isp, and there should be a modem in there.

But a switch with vlans can do this config, with wan and lan traffic over one cable.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How is that internet connection setup?

There is one line runing into the home that is a FTTC line (a copper wire) which terminates into a RJ11 connection (inside the home) so I would have to get a converter to convert it from RJ11 to RJ45 to plug into the Ubiquity Switch.

connection-from-exchange-to-home-fttc_orig.thumb.png.557b11c8d156c8136e588dfa302d8ba0.png

The connection from the Exchange is Fibre Optic to the Cabinet and then Copper from the Cabinet to the Home.

A modem is required after the connection comes into the home which is basically what I think the UDM-Pro does not support?

35 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

so you have dsl. Then plug the dsl modem into the udm pro or a switch that has vlans setup right.

33 minutes ago, NoblekingZ said:

yea your gonna need a modem to convert the dsl into ethernet.