I have a Ryzen 5. It has a quite a few cores. But I sure the F can't tell that alot of the times. How do I make that less suck?

Gork

I have a Ryzen 5. It has a quite a few cores. But I sure the F can't tell that alot of the times. How the hell do I force windows and apps to multithread, orsomething, anything to use free cores. RIght now it feels like I have just 2 cores. at best. How do get f'n windows. and or apps to actually go to a free core, and cores not being smashed from fucking awful optimization, and windows bloaty, lagyness?

Programs need to be written in a way that makes them use or benefit from multiple cores. You can't "force" them to do it. Windows has nothing to do with it either. If a program isn't multi-threaded and/or doesn't benfit from multiple threads, additional cores don't do anything. In this case single core performance is all that matters. In this case multiple cores do help only if you have many such programs running at once, because each can potentially have a core to itself.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

You set the affinity in task manager for the program and set which cores you want it to use.

Although your description of the issue is so vague that there no real way of know what the actual problem is.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What programs are you using? There is. good chance they just aren't written to be multithreaded well, and there isn't much you can do about it. 

Most recently Peazip. caused the entire os to just stall for about 15 minutes while it unpacked  guantletdl  from archive.org, and resterday. OmfG  Res evil Village? the start up time time is retarded. So having had enough of that kind of stupidity. I'm hopping something can be done about it.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

You set the affinity in task manager for the program and set which cores you want it to use.

Although your description of the issue is so vague that there no real way of know what the actual problem is.

Ok fair enough, probably need more cofee. The problem I'm having is generally speaking apps are causing fileexplorer to just choke. Specifically 7zip or peazip. And yesterday I busted out re:village: the boot time was just awful. Denuvu in it and steam don't do that anyfavors. But then just about 10 minutes ago chrome and opera got angry and imploded. Because I was trying to look up something while peazip was unzipping a file

Either use software that is properly multithreaded when possible, or wait for the developers to improve that.

If the OS was stalled then it sounds like the opposite, that program using every resource it can as efficiently as possible and not leaving any for the rest. Or you have completely unrelated issues.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Either use software that is properly multithreaded when possible, or wait for the developers to improve that.

If the OS was stalled then it sounds like the opposite, that program using every resource it can as efficiently as possible and not leaving any for the rest. Or you have completely unrelated issues.

OH.  -_-. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, Gork said:

Ok fair enough, probably need more cofee. The problem I'm having is generally speaking apps are causing fileexplorer to just choke. Specifically 7zip or peazip. And yesterday I busted out re:village: the boot time was just awful. Denuvu in it and steam don't do that anyfavors. But then just about 10 minutes ago chrome and opera got angry and imploded. Because I was trying to look up something while peazip was unzipping a file

Sounds a lot more like you have basic software/filesystem/stability issues which have very little to do with a slow cpu. A slow cpu wont result in stability problems but rather processing time. 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Sounds a lot more like you have basic software/filesystem/stability issues which have very little to do with a slow cpu. A slow cpu wont result in stability problems but rather processing time. 

Aaah! thanks! is that anything I can fix, or just wait for MS to patch it? 😄

It would require you to actually check why the machine has specific instances of stability issues vs hoping microsoft makes a patch just for you.

11 minutes ago, Gork said:

Most recently Peazip. caused the entire os to just stall for about 15 minutes while it unpacked  guantletdl  from archive.org, and resterday. OmfG  Res evil Village? the start up time time is retarded. So having had enough of that kind of stupidity. I'm hopping something can be done about it.

What was the usage in task manger? That seems like a disk io issue.

How was it compressed? Some compression algos are easily multithreaded ,some aren't

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What was the usage in task manger? That seems like a disk io issue.

How was it compressed? Some compression algos are easily multithreaded ,some aren't

Tar file. It was on a SSD, if that helps.

Just now, Gork said:

Tar file. It was on a SSD, if that helps.

Was the tar file compressed? How was it compressed?

What was the usage in task manager? Can you show a screenshot?

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

This wont do anything. If an app is not coded to be multithreaded, it simply wont be multithreaded. It will only have a single thread and that will run on either first or whatever core is free (not sure about how x86 scheduling works, I have some knowledge of arm schedulers.). Changing affinity only limits the number of threads available for that app to run on, for example if you choose 0,1,2,3 that would mean that app can only use one of the first four threads when it is running.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

This wont do anything. If an app is not coded to be multithreaded, it simply wont be multithreaded. It will only have a single thread and that will run on either first or whatever core is free (not sure about how x86 scheduling works, I have some knowledge of arm schedulers.). Changing affinity only limits the number of threads available for that app to run on, for example if you choose 0,1,2,3 that would mean that app can only use one of the first four threads when it is running.

Ok good glad we agree?

B

In case he isn't, why not open resource monitor and view what the system is doing during these operations?

Maybe OP has tried. Or simply didn't think of it.  Today I tried! because a game I was playing was having that issue. I miss when I could give it a 3 fingered salute and have the computer reboot or pull up the task manager.

And what's your problem? I tried to ask the  question in a way it made sense. No I didn't use super technical terms. No I don't know why chrome and autocorrects spelling sucks ass.

12 minutes ago, Gork said:

B

Maybe OP has tried. Or simply didn't think of it.  Today I tried! because a game I was playing was having that issue. I miss when I could give it a 3 fingered salute and have the computer reboot or pull up the task manager.

And what's your problem? I tried to ask the  question in a way it made sense. No I didn't use super technical terms. No I don't know why chrome and autocorrects spelling sucks ass.

To answer your question though: when I did (finally!) get task manager to open, on a super lagy system? ok here's concreteness: Today I was playing some Pc Building Simulator and and installed a mod. only the game  VLC with hall oh ween sounds playing. Something caused the game to kind of stutter along.  So I tried exactly what you said. Or at least tried to do what you said. The fucking task manager wouldn't open! 

Ok so another case before that. No screen shots because I just didn't think about it TBH. Chrome open playing music blah blah  Busted out RE1 Their's a remake. Simillar issues to RE 8. Taking for ever to launch. I fortunatly could get task manager open. RE1 HD remake? smashing the shit out of the CPU and RAM while starting. It only got less slammed a little after the intro plot. and cut scene stuff. I can only assume RE1 evil isn't multi threaded. My other bottle necks are probably simply because MS and AMD essentially nopped out of fixing explorere.exe and Ryezen5 bugs. Their are supposed to be patches coming "soon" to fix those though.