NAS OS Recommendation for my Hardware

Hey guys. so I posted a while back about is it worth running a NAS on this hardware and people said yes. So I want to post an update I am currently using it to host discord bots via Ubuntu Server 20 LTS. I want to convert it into a NAS. I have external drives that I can connect. The laptop is connected to a cooling pad to play it safe and prevent overheating. 

What OS would you guys recommend I was thinking Unraid but its paid and I cant really afford a license so I thought TrueNAS / FreeNAS but when I googled if its ok on a laptop threads said no so I got scared. I want to get peoples opinion before I install

The Purpose of the nas is to Store Music, Movies, Pictures and Documents. Possibly to be able to play videos and movies from a phone. Also to backup my main PC so if something goes wrong my stuff is backed up

Laptop Name: Lenovo Thinkpad X201

CPU: Intel Core i5-5200m

Integrated GPU: Intel HD

RAM: 6 GB of Ram

What is wrong with using windows?  its just setting up some file shares maybe install plex server.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 hour ago, Slayerking92 said:

What is wrong with using windows?  its just setting up some file shares maybe install plex server.

The Laptop has no screen. So it can be a pain

1 hour ago, jkalter61 said:

The Laptop has no screen. So it can be a pain

You can still use RDP to connect to it without a screen.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 hour ago, Slayerking92 said:

You can still use RDP to connect to it without a screen.

wouldn't it be slow the main drive is an HDD and the External Drive is also an HDD. aren't i better off just install TrueNAS or OMV or Ubuntu Server Samba thats pretty bare bone linux. Windows is a heavy and bloated operating system.

22 minutes ago, jkalter61 said:

wouldn't it be slow the main drive is an HDD and the External Drive is also an HDD. aren't i better off just install TrueNAS or OMV or Ubuntu Server Samba thats pretty bare bone linux. Windows is a heavy and bloated operating system.

All the oses will have basically the same performance here. You will be network or disk limited, not os limited here.

SInce you got ubuntu, id keep it on there. why change?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

All the oses will have basically the same performance here. You will be network or disk limited, not os limited here.

SInce you got ubuntu, id keep it on there. why change?

whats the best way to go about creating a samba nas.

Just now, jkalter61 said:

whats the best way to go about creating a samba nas.

Id just put ubuntu on it, then setup samba shares on the drives. No need for a different os, ubuntu will work fine.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just put ubuntu on it, then setup samba shares on the drives. No need for a different os, ubuntu will work fine.

ok. Whats the best way t go about that. is there a guide that would be easy to follow?

any other ideas? I tried plugging in ethernet to get better speeds but later realized that what im using does not support full speeds. So I went back to my wifi dongle and now Ubuntu Server wont auto-connect on boot

1 hour ago, jkalter61 said:

any other ideas? I tried plugging in ethernet to get better speeds but later realized that what im using does not support full speeds. So I went back to my wifi dongle and now Ubuntu Server wont auto-connect on boot

What speeds are you seeing? 

Try reinstalling ubuntu if it won't auto connection, or it seems like network config issues. Not enough to know from here.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What speeds are you seeing? 

Try reinstalling ubuntu if it won't auto connection, or it seems like network config issues. Not enough to know from here.

with my current USB dongle its like 80Megs I do have one .thats uncapped and 5Ghz Compatible. ill reinstall it shortly

2 minutes ago, jkalter61 said:

with my current USB dongle its like 80Megs I do have one .thats uncapped and 5Ghz Compatible. ill reinstall it shortly

wifi is gonna be your speed limit, id try to setup wired for a nas here