Good cpu/motherboard combo for 6600xt

scoobydoobie
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,
9 minutes ago, scoobydoobie said:

Would a 10th or 11th gen i7 work okay with the 6600xt as well? I’ve heard of bottlenecking but I would really like to get a decent processor that I can see myself using for longer before having to upgrade

Absolutely. You'll also be GPU bottlenecked with the i5 and if there's not a GPU bottleneck there's a CPU bottleneck, so a bottleneck isn't something to worry about if everything performs good. So the i7 would perform the same for most games, but would be better if you upgrade the GPU later down the line and for non gaming tasks.

If you can, try getting a 12th gen CPU with Z690. All of them are great, and the i5 even outperforms the 5950X in some games. For non gaming they're great too, but it's not as big as an improvement as gaming. Generally i9 and 5950X perform best with those tasks. Just make sure if you chose a 12th gen CPU to use W11, their compatibility with W10 sucks.

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, CoD, Cyberpunk

Other details 

I’m looking for a good motherboard and cpu combo that would pair well with the Radeon 6600xt. Its not a super great card and I get that. However it was a card I just managed to snag from Best Buy the last one in stock at the time of purchase. I am open to AMD or Intel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Btw the budget is for my entire build.

5600X + B550 is good, but if it's cheaper get the 10600K or 11600K (depends on price difference) + Z490 or Z590 (whichever is cheapest)

This should be a good value and will be a good balance with that GPU: 11600K + MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus. Seems like in the US AMD's price is higher than it should be, while Intel's price is good without losing too much performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, Pixelfie said:

5600X + B550 is good, but if it's cheaper get the 10600K or 11600K (depends on price difference) + Z490 or Z590 (whichever is cheapest)

This should be a good value and will be a good balance with that GPU: 11600K + MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus. Seems like in the US AMD's price is higher than it should be, while Intel's price is good without losing too much performance.

Would a 10th or 11th gen i7 work okay with the 6600xt as well? I’ve heard of bottlenecking but I would really like to get a decent processor that I can see myself using for longer before having to upgrade

9 minutes ago, scoobydoobie said:

Absolutely. You'll also be GPU bottlenecked with the i5 and if there's not a GPU bottleneck there's a CPU bottleneck, so a bottleneck isn't something to worry about if everything performs good. So the i7 would perform the same for most games, but would be better if you upgrade the GPU later down the line and for non gaming tasks.

If you can, try getting a 12th gen CPU with Z690. All of them are great, and the i5 even outperforms the 5950X in some games. For non gaming they're great too, but it's not as big as an improvement as gaming. Generally i9 and 5950X perform best with those tasks. Just make sure if you chose a 12th gen CPU to use W11, their compatibility with W10 sucks.