ASP .NET REST API

SoftwareNinja
Go to solution Solved by MisterWhite,

What you could use is provide access via third-party providers like Facebook, Twitter etc. and then use OpenId Connect in aspnet core. Try to read up on OAuth and OpenId, it's not a simple subject

Hi all,

I have being using ASP .NET Core for a while now but anytime I go to make a web app, I use identity for the user accounts.

Right now I am building a brand new mobile app and I have the functionality backend done but for the user accounts I'm wondering if I should identity also?

Is identity the right way to go for this or should I just create my own Users table and build the logic for creating users and logging in? 

Looking for any information that can point me in the right direction for my apps api.

What do you mean by "identity"?

AWS Cognito, Azure Active Directory B2C, Google cloud Identity Platform or something similar.

One of these with third party sign in (google, apple etc.) is the easiest and safest in my opinion.

This way you don't have to deal with passwords, reminder e-mails, forgotten passwords etc.

ಠ_ಠ

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, shadow_ray said:

What do you mean by "identity"?

AWS Cognito, Azure Active Directory B2C, Google cloud Identity Platform or something similar.

One of these with third party sign in (google, apple etc.) is the easiest and safest in my opinion.

This way you don't have to deal with passwords, reminder e-mails, forgotten passwords etc.

I believe Scott is referring to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/security/authentication/identity?view=aspnetcore-6.0&tabs=visual-studio That, as far as I know would only work with Aspnet web app and not connect well (if any) with something like a React app or mobile app.

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

What you could use is provide access via third-party providers like Facebook, Twitter etc. and then use OpenId Connect in aspnet core. Try to read up on OAuth and OpenId, it's not a simple subject

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, MisterWhite said:

A bit late with the reply here but thank you for your advice 🙂

There are two different concepts here that need to be addressed. That is, authentication and authorization.

How do you want to handle authentication? 3p sign in is an example of authentication

How would like to handle authorization? Like others have said, this one can get complicated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 9:28 AM, noitcelfeR said:

There are two different concepts here that need to be addressed. That is, authentication and authorization.

How do you want to handle authentication? 3p sign in is an example of authentication

How would like to handle authorization? Like others have said, this one can get complicated.

Could you do 3p authentication to create an account for authorization?

then when they use 3p to sign in, it checks their email against the DB and logs them in as their user? 

a bit complicated but just something I’m thinking of.