Apple's M1 Max Benchmarked in Adobe Premiere Pro

Lightwreather
On 10/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, J-from-Nucleon said:

I did this because i was bored. Just saying.

Summary

The very first benchmark results of Apple's M1 Max system-on-chip in a professional application have arrived.

Apple

Quotes

My thoughts

So, this pretty much confirms what we know about the new M1 Max chips...., They're "Fast" (Apple used that word multiple times during the presentation, look it up). But yea, It's pretty good for a mobile device, able to come close with some "advanced desktops" even. Now, the source article for this post, is a little clickbaity, it compares the GPU performace to Desktop's as well, which personally I think is slightly unfair, but eh. However, one should ALWAYS take these pre-release benchmarks with a grain of salt (or maybe be even a tablespoon's worth or maybe a sea's worth, who knows) and wait for independant reviews to come out. Altho, I for one am really excited ( I feel very tempted to get a 14" (Must resist))

Sources

Tom's hardware

PugetBench

Yeah, I actually can’t wait for the reviews to come out. 

I'd like to see some tests using handbrake...less esoteric and more just power stuff.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

14 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I'd like to see some tests using handbrake...less esoteric and more just power stuff.

Fairly sure in at least one of the videos posted there were handbrake tests, couldn't tell you which one unfortunately. 

38 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Encoding "A Close Shave" from a rip of the Wallace & Gromit DVD using h264, h264 (VideoToolbox), and the h265 equivalents.

The really interesting thing, is that the h264 VideoToolbox encoder at first glance seems to be slower - given that VT is supposed to be leveraging the hardware acceleration on macOS

I vaguely recall (it's been a few years since I've used handbrake regularly) that when using VideoToolbox the level of options customisation is much much lower than doing it in raw software (you can see that the output of VT for h264 is much smaller), so perhaps I've not done a fair test here by asking the software implementation to compress to a much lower level than the hardware is doing by default?

Handbrake / ffmpeg are large bests in their own rights with lots of knobs and sliders to play with, so this isn't exactly the most comprehensive way of testing.  Happy to run any other tests you're specifically interested in though so long as I have appropriate source material (generally I'm limited to re-encoding DVD rips or, re-encoding easily downloadable sources)

image.png.aa193e1f5045f33f831b5606720e622e.png

image.png.a53769a669b3651aa3e5a8c2269f2942.png

image.png.316080934ca458e571691f479d59f081.png

image.png.02e5204781b8ca89d2c7a5dbf6012a0b.png

On 10/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, leadeater said:

Nice video, really interesting.

There's also this (I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but the bits I did scan through looked good)

OP doesn't state what hardware they were previously using. But that's still a significant upgrade in performance from them regardless.