Raspberry Pi Foundation reneges on promised "permanent" price cut and blames higher prices on Chip Shortage

AlTech

Summary

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has reneged on their promised "permanent" price cuts to their Pi 4B 2GB and the discontinuation of the Pi 4B 1GB. The foundation has blamed the global chip shortage for their reversal on the decision they previously made in early 2020. The foundation also cited the Pi 4B 2GB and Pi Zero W being frequently out of stock in it's justification although the Pi Zero W's price is not being adjusted at this time.

The Pi 4B 2GB's pricing was previously $45 USD and was discounted to $35 in 2020. It is now once again $45.

The Pi 4B 1GB's pricing was $35 previously but was discontinued in 2020 due to the Pi 4B 2GB occupying the same price point. Alas, it is now being re-introduced for the old price of $35.

The Pi Foundation have said that they intend this to be a temporary measure until the chip shortages go away.

The foundation has also said that the Pi 3B+ is being de-prioritisedin favor of other Pi 3 models and suggests migrating away from the 3B+.

Quotes

The price increase for the 2GB Pi 4 and reintroduction of the 1GB model essentially reverts the Pi 4 lineup to where it was back in February of 2020, when the Pi Foundation cut the price of the 2GB Pi 4 from $45 to $35, a price cut that it said was "permanent" at the time. The March 2020 issue of the official Raspberry Pi Magazine (PDF) said that the 1GB model had been "retired."

Upton expressed hope that the price increase would be "temporary" and said that "we see early signs that the supply chain situation is starting to ease."

"These changes in pricing are not here to stay," Upton wrote. "As global supply chain issues moderate, we’ll keep revisiting this issue, and we want to get pricing back to where it was as fast as we can."

Shortages of 40 nm chips also mean that the older Raspberry Pi 3B+ is being "deprioritized" in favor of other Raspberry Pi 3 variants; the company keeps manufacturing older products primarily for "industrial and embedded" customers who need to use specific Pi boards for extended periods of time. Upton recommends that in the long term, customers who rely on the Pi 3B+ plan to migrate to the 1GB version of the Pi 4.

My thoughts

One has to wonder how temporary these changes are given how they reneged on their last price promise.

it does make sense that this price increase is coming considering that it's been hard to find Pi 4B 2GB in stock at Raspberry Pi resellers/distributors and considering that the pricing of used Pi 4B 2GB seemed to be almost identical to new if not actually higher than new pricing due to new Pi 4B 2GB units being out of stock.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't increase the price of the Pi Zero W altho that is a very cost sensitive product and that they didn't increase the Pi 4B prices even further. Then again imho the Pi 400 is somewhat overpriced as is compared to buying the Pi 4B 4GB standalone.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/supply-chain-woes-lead-to-a-temporary-raspberry-pi-4-price-hike/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

And we shouldn't make promises....

Really not a news item though.  It's basically how the world is operating now.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Thing is they probrably had no choice but to go back on the promise, they have to buy these chips too you know since they're not free in the first place.
Maybe they can go back to the lower price, maybe not - Depends on how the "Chip Shortage" plays out in the future.

The term "Reneg" may be a bit strong here, more like they raised the price back due to no fault of their own.
That's how I see it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Meh, I don't mind too much for 10$. Besides in my experience store price has been higher than MSRP anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They did nothing wrong, except perhaps make a promise they shouldn't have.

They could never have predicted the state of the industry and the chip shortage. They didn't "reneg" on anything - they were forced to cover increases in costs from their supplier.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

54 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They did nothing wrong, except perhaps make a promise they shouldn't have.

They could never have predicted the state of the industry and the chip shortage. They didn't "reneg" on anything - they were forced to cover increases in costs from their supplier.

Yeah had they waited about a month or so later I would imagine they wouldn't have made the promise. 

22 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

One has to wonder how temporary these changes are given how they reneged on their last price promise.

Oh you know, only 5 to 10 years. And then price would adjust to inflation and "current market", and so, never, unless there is actual competition in the chip manufacturing side of things. I don't see that happening as all are at capacity, and are less than a handful of them... so expect, once the shortage issue actually gets solved, price controls between companies to be set between them to maximize profits as much as possible. Then they'll get caught, go to court, 10 years later, fine 20$ each and move on with billions they made.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Reminds me of loot crate as of late.  They keep promising dates then blaming the ports, makes more promises on dates, and keeps using the ports as an excuse.  Even if the ports were to blame, businesses can't make a promise like this and then make excuses as it is fraud.  More so if money is involved, but if not they're damaging their reputation.

Well I could imagine some might not have anticipated the massive issues at the ports when they gave those dates but now they problem shouldn't give a definite date. The other issue is some places have an estimated time of arrival which isn't really a promise but just an estimate on when they think something will arrive so you couldn't really say they are lying just that they such at predictions.