AMD 5900x Unstable at stock

Hey LTT Forum 🙂

I bought a 5900x on ebay almost 1 year ago, I have had many crashes during low usage, but i thought it was probably something windows related,

i cut run most stresstest, but not CinebenchR20 multicore test, it will just crash the first sec it start the test ! i can run r15 just fine...

Now i found out that if i set a static cpu vcore under 1.25v i can run CinebenchR20 multicore, so clearly the system is not even stable at stuck, but with an static vcore of 1.25 it gets really hot under multicore test, and i even still get the random reset under low load, like using chrome or light gaming like league... so i tried and negative offset on 0.2000v whist is better for the temp, but my score is just really low, (arround 7xxx multi 5xx single) and i even still get some random reboots, just not so many...

I really thing i tried anything, read alot of post and on forums, but havent foundt a thing that makes my system stable...

So is my cpu just bad ? or can it be the motherboard, ram or psu ?

Btw did run memtest86+ for around 18 hours with 0 errors 

System Spec

Asus Strix Gaming e x570

Amd Ryzen 5900x

G.Skill Royal 32gb cl 3600 kit (4x8)

Asus 3080 Strix

All custom water cooled 2x360mm rad

What motherboard and ram did you pair it up with?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

What motherboard and ram did you pair it up with?

sorry just added it 🙂

Did you try "curve optimizer" in stead of "regular" undervolting?

My 5800X had also some stability issues until I tried it. Now I have curve optimizer set to 15(out of 30, higher means more undervolting) and with +200 on the boost speed. its completely stable and boosts up to 5 GHz single core and ~4,6 all core 

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

5 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Did you try "curve optimizer" in stead of "regular" undervolting?

My 5800X had also some stability issues until I tried it. Now I have curve optimizer set to 15(out of 30, higher means more undervolting) and with +200 on the boost speed. its completely stable and boosts up to 5 GHz single core and ~4,6 all core 

I did, + or - both, it changed the c20 score but not the stability issue, and the only thing that will make me able to run r20 is a static vcore on under 1.25v or negative offset on arround 0.2000

But its not normal to HAVE to set a low static vcore or negative offset ? just to get stable ?

5 minutes ago, HideAwayDk said:

But its not normal to HAVE to set a low static vcore or negative offset ? just to get stable ?

No you shoudn't have to do that. The hole point in CPU's having some overclocking headroom is to make sure ALL of them runs stable at the same base clock and voltage, no matter where in the silicon lottery spectrum your CPU are.

If everything else is as it should be, you might have a faulty CPU.

If possible you should try with a different CPU and see if the issue persists, just to rule out the other components

What PSU do you have?

Have you tried with only two(or one) sticks of RAM? I know overclocking with 4 sticks is harder, but it should normally work just fine at stock

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

15 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

No you shoudn't have to do that. The hole point in CPU's having some overclocking headroom is to make sure ALL of them runs stable at the same base clock and voltage, no matter where in the silicon lottery spectrum your CPU are.

If everything else is as it should be, you might have a faulty CPU.

If possible you should try with a different CPU and see if the issue persists, just to rule out the other components

What PSU do you have?

Have you tried with only two(or one) sticks of RAM? I know overclocking with 4 sticks is harder, but it should normally work just fine at stock

I did try with only 2 stacks and even tried at  2133 mhz even tho its 3600 mhz

My PSU Is an Fractal ION+ 860P 

I have an other psu i can take from my old rig from crosair 

its just really hard to swhits curse my new build is a table pc (deskpc) 😄

And i dont have another cpu laying around i can try 

23 minutes ago, HideAwayDk said:

My PSU Is an Fractal ION+ 860P 

I have an other psu i can take from my old rig from crosair 

The Fractal one should be sufficient, and is tier A according to the PSU tier list, so no need to switch it out other than to test if it may be faulty.

21 hours ago, Tegneren said:

The Fractal one should be sufficient, and is tier A according to the PSU tier list, so no need to switch it out other than to test if it may be faulty.

I got so tired of trying to do anything in the deskpc, atleast the way i maked it... Anything you do just take soo long time, so i Will ordre a case 011 dynamic i think, i Will report back when i have the system in the new case