What router for 10gbps network?

Buppy333
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
55 minutes ago, Buppy333 said:

Hey!
My ISP upgrading their network and so they'll have 10gbps connection early next year. Right now it's 1gbps down / 300mbps up. My setup as for now contains the ISP's modem that receives the optical cable and forwards to my Asus AC68U router on ethernet. I also have a 1TB HDD hooked up to the router.

Our appartement is relatively small (45 sqm) so wifi signal is not a problem usually.

I'd like to ask you what router would you recommend to be able to use that 10gbps with atleast 1 USB port?

Your not gong to find an off the shelf consumer solution. Hell consumer grade routers still have problems with Gigabit Internet. You might look in to building a PFsense box. But without knowing how the ISP is going to connect you up its hard to say. For example my ISP Comcast offers 3 Gbps symmetrical Fiber at an exorbitant cost. The media converter they use at the home has 1x 1Gbps Ethernet and 1x 10Gbps SFP ports. But 10 Gbps over Ethernet is also a thing, so you will need to wait and see what they do. Ether way, PFsense might be your only option or buying some enterprise grade solution. 

Hey!
My ISP upgrading their network and so they'll have 10gbps connection early next year. Right now it's 1gbps down / 300mbps up. My setup as for now contains the ISP's modem that receives the optical cable and forwards to my Asus AC68U router on ethernet. I also have a 1TB HDD hooked up to the router.

Our appartement is relatively small (45 sqm) so wifi signal is not a problem usually.

I'd like to ask you what router would you recommend to be able to use that 10gbps with atleast 1 USB port?

9 minutes ago, Buppy333 said:

In an apartment, with 10gig internet? But why, even 1 gigabit is quite overkill for it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, Buppy333 said:

Hey!

With that size of an apartment and so few devices, wait to see how the ISP-provided hardware works first. More than likely they'll provide you with a fiber gateway since fiber will need to go all the way to the ISP unit to maintain that sort of speed.

There's no wireless router available right now that I'm aware of that can push 10Gbps over WiFi. Hopefully, by the time 10Gbps comes to your area, more options for routers will be available.

As for a regular wired router, you're looking at ISP type of hardware with fiber inputs.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

In an apartment, with 10gig internet? But why, even 1 gigabit is quite overkill for it.

Mostly because the price only increases a little and the overall price of the service with TV is 5000 HUF in Hungary which is about 15 USD /month. We use for Twitch streaming / Netflix in 4K on multiple devices. It's still an overkill but there's really no reason not to upgrade 😄

2 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

With that size of an apartment and so few devices, wait to see how the ISP-provided hardware works first. More than likely they'll provide you with a fiber gateway since fiber will need to go all the way to the ISP unit to maintain that sort of speed.

There's no wireless router available right now that I'm aware of that can push 10Gbps over WiFi. Hopefully, by the time 10Gbps comes to your area, more options for routers will be available.

As for a regular wired router, you're looking at ISP type of hardware with fiber inputs.

Yep that makes sense to wait and see. I just don't really trust the ISP's device to have usb ports.

55 minutes ago, Buppy333 said:

Hey!

Your not gong to find an off the shelf consumer solution. Hell consumer grade routers still have problems with Gigabit Internet. You might look in to building a PFsense box. But without knowing how the ISP is going to connect you up its hard to say. For example my ISP Comcast offers 3 Gbps symmetrical Fiber at an exorbitant cost. The media converter they use at the home has 1x 1Gbps Ethernet and 1x 10Gbps SFP ports. But 10 Gbps over Ethernet is also a thing, so you will need to wait and see what they do. Ether way, PFsense might be your only option or buying some enterprise grade solution. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.