Is my GPU dying or is there a fix?

CaesarLP

Hey,
My 980ti is behaving weirdly. When playing Apex on lowest settings every 2-4sec i get a frozen frame for about 0.5 sec.
Afterburner is also reporting wierd stuff, the GPU usage is bouncing between 99% and ~50%.
When playing Trackmainia I also pinned my GPU at 99% without having that behavior...

Earlier today i had a bluescreen, sadly i havent noted down the exact error message, it had something to do with "video", but i know this isnt really helpful.
The behavior is visible in the attached image, in the yellow marked time frame i just booted up apex and got on the firing range on lowest settings. 

Lately it even got worse, my PC is randomly crashin on boot and i have funny artifacts on screen. When playing games i randomly get black screens or freezing for a few seconds.

Please help, i really can't afford a new GPU 😞

Other Components:
i7 6700K @4GHz

MSI Z170A GAMING M5
32GB DDR4-2800

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 700 W 

20211022_102113.jpg

20211022_102118.jpg

apex, gpu.png

DxDiag.txt

3 minutes ago, CaesarLP said:

Hey,
My 980ti is behaving weirdly. When playing Apex on lowest settings every 2-4sec i get a frozen frame for about 0.5 sec.
Afterburner is also reporting wierd stuff, the GPU usage is bouncing between 99% and ~50%.
When playing Trackmainia I also pinned my GPU at 99% without having that behavior...

Earlier today i had a bluescreen, sadly i havent noted down the exact error message, it had something to do with "video", but i know this isnt really helpful.
The behavior is visible in the attached image, in the yellow marked time frame i just booted up apex and got on the firing range on lowest settings. 

Lately it even got worse, my PC is randomly crashin on boot and i have funny artifacts on screen. When playing games i randomly get black screens or freezing for a few seconds.

Please help, i really can't afford a new GPU 😞

Other Components:
i7 6700K @4GHz

MSI Z170A GAMING M5
32GB DDR4-2800

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 700 W 

20211022_102113.jpg

20211022_102118.jpg

apex, gpu.png

DxDiag.txt 127.24 kB · 0 downloads

Looks like it's dying. Try lowering your memory clock speed a few hundred MHz and lower the power limit to roughly 90% and see how that works. Artifacting is common with overclocks so reducing clocks usually helps. If it doesn't work, try lowering it a bit lower. Once stable, save that profile and apply on startup.

49 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Looks like it's dying. Try lowering your memory clock speed a few hundred MHz and lower the power limit to roughly 90% and see how that works. Artifacting is common with overclocks so reducing clocks usually helps. If it doesn't work, try lowering it a bit lower. Once stable, save that profile and apply on startup.

Also check temps if it's running too hot it can also affect stability on a dying card.

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also check temps if it's running too hot it can also affect stability on a dying card.

If you look at his graph (last picture) it seems perfectly fine. I've got a feeling it's VRAM. I've seen the exact same thing with a GTX 780.

If you need to get a new GPU while it is not on the same level of the 980ti the GTX 760 due to it's game drivers just getting discontinued can still be found on the used market in many areas for relatively affordable prices I recently researched this for another person on the web but a GTX 760 can be had for only about ~$60USD in certain markets.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!