Looking for a new headset

Gispah

Hey,

I am actually looking for a wireless gaming headset my budget is about 250€. I am mainly going to use it for gaming and listening music.

I have looked many headset and I saw the corsair virtuoso XT I can get it for 200€ should I get it? Is it a good headset ?

Or do you have another headset to advice ?

Thank you for your help.

13 minutes ago, Gispah said:

advice ?

Don't get a wireless headset.
Get one with a 3.5 mm connector.
I have a wireless headset because I thought, it would be great for PS4 gaming on the couch and I could also use it for PC gaming.
And yeah, it's cool to take a smart phone call with the headset using Bluetooth, but:

Wireless means, there will be disturbances if you hold your head in the wrong direction or because of other things.

That can be really annoying. And you will have to charge it. I tried using it with a micro USB cable, but micro USB connectors are just not made for movement.
So if you turn your head or something, the cable can unplug itself sometimes. Also annoying.

I won't throw my headset away because the sound is really good, but because of these annoying things, my next headset will be wired. And not USB, but 3.5 mm.

(I use the Sennheiser GSP670 by the way. A good thing about it is: You can swap the ear pads when they get damaged.)

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

20 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Don't get a wireless headset.
Get one with a 3.5 mm connector.
I have a wireless headset because I thought, it would be great for PS4 gaming on the couch and I could also use it for PC gaming.
And yeah, it's cool to take a smart phone call with the headset using Bluetooth, but:

Wireless means, there will be disturbances if you hold your head in the wrong direction or because of other things.

That can be really annoying. And you will have to charge it. I tried using it with a micro USB cable, but micro USB connectors are just not made for movement.
So if you turn your head or something, the cable can unplug itself sometimes. Also annoying.

I won't throw my headset away because the sound is really good, but because of these annoying things, my next headset will be wired. And not USB, but 3.5 mm.

What wired headset do you think I should take ?

32 minutes ago, Gispah said:

What wired headset do you think I should take ?

Maybe I would look for the Sennheiser GSP600, because I like the GSP670 except for the annoying stuff...

And I would go for an over ear headset for good comfort.

I recommend looking at YouTube reviews. In some of them you can hear peoples' voice through different headset.
This way you can hear which microfone you like the most.

EDIT: The Logitech G Pro seems to be pretty good as a wired headset.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

9 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Maybe I would look for the Sennheiser GSP600, because I like the GSP670 except for the annoying stuff...

And I would go for an over ear headset for good comfort.

I recommend looking at YouTube reviews. In some of them you can hear peoples' voice through different headset.
This way you can hear which microfone you like the most.

Ok thanks. I will wait for other answers and I will look into it. I really wanted to have a wireless headset.

I will see what I'm going to take.

26 minutes ago, Gispah said:

I really wanted to have a wireless headset

Like I said... The cool thing is, you can connect it to your phone.
So if you are gaming and somebody calls you, it rings in your headset and you can take the call without taking it off.
Also you can go get some water from the kitchen, while still listening and talking.
That's pretty good.

On the other hand if you really want to enjoy a movie or a game, a much cheaper wired headset has no disturbances at all.

So I use my old 5.1 surround av receiver for movies and I use USB for PC gaming.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

The Virtuoso has a good microphone but sounds quite bad.

What headphones do you have right now/ have you listened to? What changes to the sound are you looking for in the new headphones, compared to the old ones?

19 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

The Virtuoso has a good microphone but sounds quite bad.

What headphones do you have right now/ have you listened to? What changes to the sound are you looking for in the new headphones, compared to the old ones?

Hey,

Well I have a HyperX Cloud II and I had a G432 but I didn’t like it because it wasn’t confortable. 
I’m looking for a good headset mainly for gaming and listening music and sometimes watch movies. 
I wanted to take the Virtuoso XT but a lot of people and reviews says that it sound really bad.

So I’m hesitating to take a G Pro X wireless but suedseefrucht said it is a bad idea to go with a wireless headset.

Is there a big difference between G Pro X and the G Pro X Wireless? Should I go with a wired headset?

8 minutes ago, Gispah said:

Well I have a HyperX Cloud II and I had a G432 but I didn’t like it because it wasn’t confortable. 

What part of the G432 did you find uncomfortable? Was it the pad material? Shape? Limited adjustablity? Clamping force?

What don't you like about the HyperX Cloud that you're looking to improve by upgrading to a new set of headphones? Not enough/too much/low quality bass? Do you get headaches from piercing treble? Is the positional audio not good enough? Are vocals and strings not realistic enough? etc.

Is sound isolation a concern in your environment? Do you have a standalone webcam or other external microphone already (do you need the integrated headset microphone)?

Why do you want wireless? Do you want to walk around your room? Just don't want cables to get tangled? Do you want to pair with more devices than only your PC?

10 minutes ago, Gispah said:

So I’m hesitating to take a G Pro X wireless but suedseefrucht said it is a bad idea to go with a wireless headset.

Is there a big difference between G Pro X and the G Pro X Wireless? Should I go with a wired headset?

Wireless is more expensive, not as widely compatible, and introduces a small amount of latency (much better than Bluetooth, but still not ideal). For movies it probably won't be a problem, but if you play reaction-based games with sound triggers (rhythm games, fps) then it might be a competitive disadvantage.

Honestly the G Pro X Wired/Wireless both sound very similar. The bass is muddy, and the mids are bright/tinny. The positional accuracy is also quite bad. They're not bad-sounding overall, just not great. I'd be hesitant to call them a direct upgrade to the HyperX Clouds depending on user preferences.

I think the bigger issue is that there's a large variety of good gaming headsets (and better/cheaper normal headphones without microphones) that aren't wireless.

The G432 was uncomfortable because of it’s headset arch.

I’m changing it because I want to give to my brother and get a new headset.

The only thing that displeased me was that I was using the USB amp because the 3.5 jack cable wasn’t long enough and my computer motherboard redirected my computer sound on my mic.

Well I would like to have a closed headset so that I don’t hear every sound in my house. 
I want wireless so I can walk around my room and so I don't get tangled with the cables.

I am going to get a standalone mic so I just want a headset so I can use it the time that I get it.

And if it could pair with my PS4/PS5 even if it is in 3.5 jack.

Do you have any wired and wireless headphones or headset to advise?

Thanks for your answer.

8 hours ago, Gispah said:

The G432 was uncomfortable because of it’s headset arch.

I’m changing it because I want to give to my brother and get a new headset.

The only thing that displeased me was that I was using the USB amp because the 3.5 jack cable wasn’t long enough and my computer motherboard redirected my computer sound on my mic.

Well I would like to have a closed headset so that I don’t hear every sound in my house. 
I want wireless so I can walk around my room and so I don't get tangled with the cables.

I am going to get a standalone mic so I just want a headset so I can use it the time that I get it.

And if it could pair with my PS4/PS5 even if it is in 3.5 jack.

Do you have any wired and wireless headphones or headset to advise?

Thanks for your answer.

If you're happy with your HyperX Clouds, why not get a HyperX Cloud Wireless? It may not be strictly the best option out there, but it seems like a pretty safe choice given you like the original.

Otherwise I know other folks are going to recommend wired headsets like the Sennheiser GSP series and Cooler Master MH751. I'd consider them both to be slightly better than the Clouds in general, but depending on pricing in your region and how much you like wireless, picking a wireless option may really be the best choice.

Thoughts on some other wireless headphones (I don't know your local pricing):

• The RIG 800 is better-sounding and more comfortable than the Clouds in my opinion, but the noise isolation is significantly worse.
  • The Logitech G533 is a decent choice, but given you didn't like the G432 ergonomics it's probably not for you. Also poor isolation.
  • Corsair's best-sounding wireless headset is the HS70 by a large margin, but it's only comfortable for people with small heads and ears, and the microphone isn't very good.
  • Arctis 7 may be worth looking into. A bit cleaner in the treble than the Clouds but about the same to marginally worse sound otherwise.

2 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

If you're happy with your HyperX Clouds, why not get a HyperX Cloud Wireless? It may not be strictly the best option out there, but it seems like a pretty safe choice given you like the original.

Otherwise I know other folks are going to recommend wired headsets like the Sennheiser GSP series and Cooler Master MH751. I'd consider them both to be slightly better than the Clouds in general, but depending on pricing in your region and how much you like wireless, picking a wireless option may really be the best choice.

Thoughts on some other wireless headphones (I don't know your local pricing):

• The RIG 800 is better-sounding and more comfortable than the Clouds in my opinion, but the noise isolation is significantly worse.
  • The Logitech G533 is a decent choice, but given you didn't like the G432 ergonomics it's probably not for you. Also poor isolation.
  • Corsair's best-sounding wireless headset is the HS70 by a large margin, but it's only comfortable for people with small heads and ears, and the microphone isn't very good.
  • Arctis 7 may be worth looking into. A bit cleaner in the treble than the Clouds but about the same to marginally worse sound otherwise.

Ok well I’m probably going to buy an external mic so should I buy a headphone like a studio headphone (DT770 Pro?) or a gaming headphone without mic wired or wireless?

6 hours ago, Gispah said:

Ok well I’m probably going to buy an external mic so should I buy a headphone like a studio headphone (DT770 Pro?) or a gaming headphone without mic wired or wireless?

It depends how much you want wireless. The DT770 is certainly better-sounding than anything else mentioned in this thread so far, and would be my top gaming-oriented wired closed-back non-headset recommendation in the price range because of its comfort, V-shape sound, and decent soundstage (by closed-back standards).

One point of concern is that if you're worried about background noise to the point of needing closed-backs, a standalone microphone is going to pick all of that up while a headset microphone won't.

11 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

It depends how much you want wireless. The DT770 is certainly better-sounding than anything else mentioned in this thread so far, and would be my top gaming-oriented wired closed-back non-headset recommendation in the price range because of its comfort, V-shape sound, and decent soundstage (by closed-back standards).

One point of concern is that if you're worried about background noise to the point of needing closed-backs, a standalone microphone is going to pick all of that up while a headset microphone won't.

Well I would prefer to have a better sound quality over wireless. Is there any other headphone better than a DT770 Pro under my budget (250€)

And for the mic there is that much of background noise in my room so I guess it's ok for a standalond mic. I was thinking to buy a Bird UM1 with a Rode PSA-1  but I don't if I should go for a more expensive mic.

3 hours ago, Gispah said:

Well I would prefer to have a better sound quality over wireless. Is there any other headphone better than a DT770 Pro under my budget (250€)

And for the mic there is that much of background noise in my room so I guess it's ok for a standalond mic. I was thinking to buy a Bird UM1 with a Rode PSA-1  but I don't if I should go for a more expensive mic.

I can't really help with the microphone choice, but I expect that others will advise you to buy a separate microphone and audio interface. For the headphones, I think the DT770 has the best tuning for gaming, but the SRH440/840 and K371 are popular neutral closed-backs nowadays. Their comfort and soundstage isn't as good as the DT770 which is why I don't recommend them as strongly for this application.

If you're now looking for advice on a microphone and conventional closed-back headphones for gaming, you might have more luck making a new thread.

4 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

I can't really help with the microphone choice, but I expect that others will advise you to buy a separate microphone and audio interface. For the headphones, I think the DT770 has the best tuning for gaming, but the SRH440/840 and K371 are popular neutral closed-backs nowadays. Their comfort and soundstage isn't as good as the DT770 which is why I don't recommend them as strongly for this application.

If you're now looking for advice on a microphone and conventional closed-back headphones for gaming, you might have more luck making a new thread.

What's the difference between the DT770 Pro and the DT700 Pro X. And what impedance should I go with do I need to buy an external audio card or something like that to enjoy its full potential ?

Well thanks for your help I will make a new thread then.

3 hours ago, Gispah said:

What's the difference between the DT770 Pro and the DT700 Pro X. And what impedance should I go with do I need to buy an external audio card or something like that to enjoy its full potential ?

Well thanks for your help I will make a new thread then.

The DT700 Pro X is too new for their to be much good information on, and I haven't listened to it. The only measurements of it so far imply that it should be tuned very similar to the DT770.

How headphone impedance and amplifiers interact is unfortunately one of the most misinformation-riddled topics in audio. How loud a headphone will get using a given amount of power input is determined by its Sensitivity. Impedance determines what voltage/current ratio the headphone will take. Because headphone impedance is not constant over the entire frequency range, the output impedance of an amplifier (typically not published) will boost the frequencies where a headphone's impedance is the highest. For most headphones, this means that high output impedance amplifiers cause bloated bass in low impedance headphones.

I've done an analysis of how loud different DT770 models can get from a motherboard, and generally I recommend the 250Ω because it's the cheapest in most markets, is less affected by bad amplifiers, and according to most subjective reviewers the best-sounding after the 600Ω. It will be 2 dB or so quieter at the same volume setting than the lower impedance models when played from the average motherboard, but unless you're listening to music loudly this shouldn't be a problem. For reference the DT770 should be anywhere between 6 and 10 dB quieter than the HyperX Cloud depending on which impedance model you get; if you regularly use the Clouds above the 50% volume setting in Windows you may want an amplifier.

So should I get tht 250Ω DT770 pro ? What amplifier should I get do you have any idea ? My mobo is a X570-E from Asus.

1 hour ago, Gispah said:

So should I get tht 250Ω DT770 pro ? What amplifier should I get do you have any idea ? My mobo is a X570-E from Asus.

If 6-10 dB quieter than the HyperX Cloud is still loud enough for you, I would be of the opinion that you don't need to get an amplifier, or should at least try the headphones without an amplifier before committing to buying another expensive piece of equipment.

I'm an objectivist so I don't believe in amplifiers making any difference in the sound beyond effects that known physics would give rise to. For subjective advice, there are others on the forum who can give that.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

If 6-10 dB quieter than the HyperX Cloud is still loud enough for you, I would be of the opinion that you don't need to get an amplifier, or should at least try the headphones without an amplifier before committing to buying another expensive piece of equipment.

I'm an objectivist so I don't believe in amplifiers making any difference in the sound beyond effects that known physics would give rise to. For subjective advice, there are others on the forum who can give that.

Ok well thanks I will wait some answers on the other thread and I will see what I will take.