3090 Fe ramping up on idle 800 Rpm and 113W

Roshill1
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

A good thing to do is go in your system tray and close anything running one after the other looking if the consumption has gone down after each one.

Also make sure you didn't force max performance in Nvidia Control Panel. And that your drivers are up to date.

Hey guys, 

I recently bought my 3090 fe there has been an issue where the Gpu idles with 113 watts and sits around 1695 mhz on idle and at 45c. I don't understand what is causing this issue. I have tried optimizing the settings in Nvidia control panel but, I haven't tried manually controlling the fans yet. Although I did undervolt the card. I am getting the same results on applying stock settings as well. 

It ramps down time to time and will use no power on idle. But, I don't understand what to do to get it that state. I have a 240hz monitor I have even tried lowering my monitor down to 60hz and it doesn't turn off the usage. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

Likely an app you're running that keeps it up, Nvidia Broadcast is a common culprit. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Likely an app you're running that keeps it up, Nvidia Broadcast is a common culprit. 

They did optimize it though. As long as you don't have any mic-using application open, broadcast will now allow your GPU to idle.

40 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

True, also Shadowplay, if desktop recording is enabled

Wallpaper Engine is another one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

They did optimize it though. As long as you don't have any mic-using application open, broadcast will now allow your GPU to idle.

Oh nice, but even better, just tested and it doesn't put my card in boost even while in use anymore! Has to have come with a recent driver update since Broadcast itself hasn't had an update lately AFAIK.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

I tried turning of the RTX voice I have installed and nvidia broastcast still nothing. Haven't been using wall paper engine. Is there a way to see what software is actually using the card?

2 minutes ago, Roshill1 said:

I tried turning of the RTX voice I have installed and nvidia broastcast still nothing. Haven't been using wall paper engine. Is there a way to see what software is actually using the card?

Go into task manager and sort by GPU utilization.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Shows 0.1% GPU utilization only 4 things using the GPU Google chrome, Destop window manager, Windows sheell experience host and Client server runtime process. Mostly 0%. 

Is it possible to manually profile it down or will that be bad for my GPU. Or should I factory reset my PC.

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Turned off Nvidia experience and all other programs too only have HWinfo on atm. Must be some weird bug between my monitors possibly. Though I have only one on atm.

A good thing to do is go in your system tray and close anything running one after the other looking if the consumption has gone down after each one.

Also make sure you didn't force max performance in Nvidia Control Panel. And that your drivers are up to date.

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Also make sure you didn't force max performance in Nvidia Control Panel.

I restored it to default all my performance settings. I picked the power plan to balanced as well. Still nothing. Any other resets I can try before I try the factory reset. 

18 minutes ago, Roshill1 said:

Shows 0.1% GPU utilization only 4 things using the GPU Google chrome, Destop window manager, Windows sheell experience host and Client server runtime process. Mostly 0%. 

Have you tried using GPU-Z to Monitor the GPU usage? There are some mining viruses which automatically disable themselves when you open task manager to evade detection but start running again once you close it

2 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Have you tried using GPU-Z to Monitor the GPU usage? There are some mining viruses which automatically disable themselves when you open task manager to evade detection but start running again once you close it

Do you think razer is possibly doing this atm? Cause I keep recieving some mining information from them time to time. On random ocassions it does turn off. Let me try to turn off the internet to see if it effects it. Although I have their software turned off.

4 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

I do have an antivirus AVG that I using atm using it to scan right now haven't done it in a while.

And thank you all for helping me with the issue really appreciate it! It's just been bothering me that my GPU runs this high on idle. Going to more careful of what I install in the future.

Well guys it is something in the back ground. I created a new profile. Signed out of my existing one and boom 20W on 60 hz and 30W on 240hz. I will have to slowly go down the background processes and disable things one by one. Any more recommendations would be great. 

So there's nothing wrong with the card. :). Thanks again all.