Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Crucial Ballistix 3600 on B550 - XMP Profile Doesn't POST

Hi! I'm having some trouble with a new build.

Long story short, I've upgraded to an AMD Zen 3 system with some of the parts received as gifts. It works fine under normal usage, but unfortunately I'm not able to achieve full rated XMP, as setting it to 3600 causes memory training to fail and reset to safe mode. I am able to get it running at 3200 maximum, but that is the extent to which I've tried - including overvolting, which going up to 1.45V did nothing to alleviate/improve the issue.

The full system parts are listed here, but the important bits are:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Stock Cooler
  • ASUS B550 TUF Gaming Plus ATX
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8GB) @ 3600
  • Corsair CX600 (it's a used part but I intend to upgrade/replace if need be)

Note: in case someone asks, I haven't done but am willing to attempt a manual memory overclock, but I am running Linux so the typical Thaiphoon/DRAM Calc is out of the question (not even for a temporary Windows install). I'm also new to memory OCs (it certainly wasn't something my Z97 platform did).

Do it manually. SOC voltage to 1.20v and memory at 1.4v 3600mhz with whatever timings are listed for xmp

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Check your motherboard’s qualified vendor list for memory to make sure they’re verified working for your board. Had the same issue with my Aorus B550 board and Corsair Vengeance RAM. Swapped them with Crucial that was on the list and it worked just fine. No amount of manual tuning would make the Corsair sticks work, I could boot to windows but had many BSODs before checking the QVL. 

Edit: I see you came from an Intel system. AMD boards can be picky with what memory you use. I’ve never had an issue with RAM on an Intel system and their QVLs are huge compared to the tiny 3 page list of myAMD’s  B550 board. Even the most popular SKU on Amazon wasn’t verified on my board and it wouldn’t reach the advertised speeds. 

Edited by InstantNewt
Additional info

4 hours ago, That One Seong said:

Hi! I'm having some trouble with a new build.

Long story short, I've upgraded to an AMD Zen 3 system with some of the parts received as gifts. It works fine under normal usage, but unfortunately I'm not able to achieve full rated XMP, as setting it to 3600 causes memory training to fail and reset to safe mode. I am able to get it running at 3200 maximum, but that is the extent to which I've tried - including overvolting, which going up to 1.45V did nothing to alleviate/improve the issue.

The full system parts are listed here, but the important bits are:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Stock Cooler
  • ASUS B550 TUF Gaming Plus ATX
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8GB) @ 3600
  • Corsair CX600 (it's a used part but I intend to upgrade/replace if need be)

Note: in case someone asks, I haven't done but am willing to attempt a manual memory overclock, but I am running Linux so the typical Thaiphoon/DRAM Calc is out of the question (not even for a temporary Windows install). I'm also new to memory OCs (it certainly wasn't something my Z97 platform did).

Update bios. I was not able to get my xmp working on an old bios revision. Updated to current and all is peachy. 

7 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Update bios. I was not able to get my xmp working on an old bios revision. Updated to current and all is peachy. 

It was on an older BIOS revision out of the box, but that was basically the first thing I did; no change.

12 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Do it manually. SOC voltage to 1.20v and memory at 1.4v 3600mhz with whatever timings are listed for xmp

Unfortunately, no change; can't go any higher than 3266mhz without failing (and this is even with restart count set to 10).

12 hours ago, InstantNewt said:

Check your motherboard’s qualified vendor list for memory to make sure they’re verified working for your board. Had the same issue with my Aorus B550 board and Corsair Vengeance RAM. Swapped them with Crucial that was on the list and it worked just fine. No amount of manual tuning would make the Corsair sticks work, I could boot to windows but had many BSODs before checking the QVL. 

Edit: I see you came from an Intel system. AMD boards can be picky with what memory you use. I’ve never had an issue with RAM on an Intel system and their QVLs are huge compared to the tiny 3 page list of myAMD’s  B550 board. Even the most popular SKU on Amazon wasn’t verified on my board and it wouldn’t reach the advertised speeds. 

So I checked ASUS' site (which the helpdesk page is inaccurate about, it's not a PDF but an updating list), though they seem to label the Ryzen 5000 series as the G-series APUs for some reason?

Well, regardless, they do have plenty of Crucial sticks listed as verified on each, including the general specs of mine - 2x8GB 16-18-18-38 1.35V - but the model number seems off (BLE8G4D36BEEAK.M8FE1 on ASUS' site vs. BL8G36C16U4B.M8FE1 as labelled on the physical sticks I own). I see nothing but good things about the RAM sticks themselves, so I can't imagine the variance being that abysmal for my set?

And in fairness(?) to myself, my Intel system prior to this wasn't even using XMP memory (1866 HX Furies). I kinda knew going into Ryzen that memory would be a kerfuffle, but not to this extent; and it doesn't help that a lot of the info seems out-of-date or inconsistent for Zen 3. (^^;

You could try to reset your bios to default values then load XMP Profile 2, also make sure you DON'T manually select the Frequency of you ram, let xmp take care of that.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:14 AM, Romi said:

You could try to reset your bios to default values then load XMP Profile 2, also make sure you DON'T manually select the Frequency of you ram, let xmp take care of that.

No such thing as a second XMP Profile, though? And resetting the bios was what I've already done before most-anything else on this thread to no avail.

10 minutes ago, That One Seong said:

No such thing as a second XMP Profile, though? And resetting the bios was what I've already done before most-anything else on this thread to no avail.

Well you may have just been extremely unlucky with the silicon lottery. Xmp is not a guarantee. With that said, try doing it manually. You don't need typhoon or dram Calc to do it. All of the information can be found online. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Well you may have just been extremely unlucky with the silicon lottery. Xmp is not a guarantee. With that said, try doing it manually. You don't need typhoon or dram Calc to do it. All of the information can be found online. 

Mind giving pointers where this information is at?

To reiterate the OP, I don't know anything about manual memory overclocks - and the resources I found all pointed to Thaiphoon/DRAM Calc, which again, I can't use. I'm not sure how far I'll go with messing with random values I know nothing of.

Try the proprietary timings of 18-20-20-40. 

Here's a thread you can use as an example. Totally different kit, but should get the point across. 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1382390-memory-overclock-the-70-pny-2666-kit/

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Competitive Benching Team - Warp9-Systems 

Save the old OC forums just by reading old school tec

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php

They have the best F@H stats too. 

Spoiler

13 hours ago, That One Seong said:

Mind giving pointers where this information is at?

To reiterate the OP, I don't know anything about manual memory overclocks - and the resources I found all pointed to Thaiphoon/DRAM Calc, which again, I can't use. I'm not sure how far I'll go with messing with random values I know nothing of.

MemtestHelper DDR4 OC Guide

First step is to make sure you are using the correct memory slots, which are the second and fourth away from the CPU and should be labeled A2 and B2.  Those are the best slots, the others are really only supposed to be used if all slots are populated.

Since both ram and fabric need to be relatively stable to post, you can isolate which is preventing the boot by keeping ram at 3200MT/s and manually setting fabric to 1800MHz in asynchronous mode if you want.

Alternatively, would try SOC 1.1V, CLDO VDDP 0.900, VDDG CCD ~0.950 and VDDG IOD 0.975-1.0 for 1800 FCLK.  ProcODT is also important for booting and yours may be somewhere around 36.9 ohm, plus or minus a step or so.  If you can get it to boot, then you can stability test and dial in the settings for best performance.

If there doesn't appear to be a way to boot that frequency on the ram, but you can do FCLK, I would test the sticks individually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, capn233 said:

First step is to make sure you are using the correct memory slots, which are the second and fourth away from the CPU and should be labeled A2 and B2. 

Riiiight, about that...

a week later

I swear I haven't read this thread for a while because I ended up doing an upgrade on my system, which was completely unrelated to this issue (a new cooler and removing an old WiFi card for an m.2 one for the board itself). But out of curiosity, I decided to try switching the RAM in different slots--not because of the quote, but I felt like I'd heard something about some boards prefering certain slots for a two-stick configuration over the others. ASUS didn't specify this in the manual in my case, but I did it anyways - switching from 1_3 to 2_4.

And wouldn't y'all know, all of a sudden the memory sticks can handle 3600mhz just fine now.

In fact, it seems like it's able to handle 3866mhz with the same timings/voltage well enough. I haven't done any empiracal testing yet, but it's been stable so far for a good day or two and hasn't raised any errors with a few hour-long stress-tests.

Seems... odd that the slots labeled second & fourth are the primary ones; like to a user, shouldn't the pairing that starts with the first slot be primary, because 1 comes before 2? Or am I just being needlessly irate? I think that may be the case...

Anyways, will do more testing later for memory OCing, but consider this thread solved. Thanks for the suggestion @capn233(even if it wasn't how I came to this sloppy conclusion)!

Atta boy, let er rip.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/ TY-143
Asus Strix B550-F Gaming | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN750 500GB, 1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C | iPPC 3K