Windows 7 won't go to sleep as set in power plan settings

cat6meow

For the last month I've not been able to figure out why my computer won't go to sleep according to the timers set in the power plan. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. I've tried checking powercfg -requests and nothing is shown as keeping the computer awake. I've tried going to Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Power, to see if there is any issue detected but that didn't fix the issue. The computer will go to sleep if I open the Start menu, click the arrow next to Shutdown, and click on Sleep. It just won't go to sleep according to the timers set in the power plans. I've tried Googling for a solution. There are a lot of posts in other places about this. I've tried a few other things but still had no luck. Any suggestions?

Have you installed any software or made any changes/tweaks in the last month?

2 hours ago, cat6meow said:

For the last month I've not been able to figure out why my computer won't go to sleep according to the timers set in the power plan. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. I've tried checking powercfg -requests and nothing is shown as keeping the computer awake. I've tried going to Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Power, to see if there is any issue detected but that didn't fix the issue. The computer will go to sleep if I open the Start menu, click the arrow next to Shutdown, and click on Sleep. It just won't go to sleep according to the timers set in the power plans. I've tried Googling for a solution. There are a lot of posts in other places about this. I've tried a few other things but still had no luck. Any suggestions?

ARE YOU STILL USING WINDOWS 7!!!

Anyways

windows 7 is not getting any updates for a long time

it may be a bug in windows 7 

try updating to windows 10 or if possible windows 11 (i won't recomend now though)

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

What hardware is this system running? Are all the proper drivers (specifically chipset drivers) installed? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

37 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

What hardware is this system running? Are all the proper drivers (specifically chipset drivers) installed? 

ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K

16 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 RAM

XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB graphics card

Corsair 256 GB SSD

Crucial 500 GB SSD

Toshiba 2 TB HDD

WD 500 GB Velociraptor HDD

A couple monitors

Yes, the chipset drivers that were provided by ASUS were installed way back when Windows was installed. They were installed previously when sleep was working correctly. I don't think that's changed since sleep stopped working.

1 minute ago, cat6meow said:

ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K

16 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 RAM

XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB graphics card

Corsair 256 GB SSD

Crucial 500 GB SSD

Toshiba 2 TB HDD

WD 500 GB Velociraptor HDD

A couple monitors

Yes, the chipset drivers that were provided by ASUS were installed way back when Windows was installed. They were installed previously when sleep was working correctly. I don't think that's changed since sleep stopped working. I wish I could remember what I might've done just before I noticed sleep wasn't working.

With such a decent system, is there any reason you're not running Windows 10? It would work perfectly on that hardware.

As for sleep with Windows 7 - are there any background tasks trying to access any of the drives? I've had Windows 7 give me issues in the past with HDD access. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, LWM723 said:

Have you installed any software or made any changes/tweaks in the last month?

I certainly have. Though, I don't keep a log of changes.  I wish I could remember what I might've done the week before I noticed sleep wasn't working. I did look in the Uninstall Programs menu for something that might stand out but nothing really stood out to me. The Plex Media Server has caused some trouble in the past but I figured out what setting to change so the computer would go to sleep. Those settings are still set. I know, it is counterintuitive to have a media server and expect it to go to sleep but I had it working the way I wanted it to and didn't have to set up a dedicated media server computer.

recent install list.png

9 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

With such a decent system, is there any reason you're not running Windows 10? It would work perfectly on that hardware.

As for sleep with Windows 7 - are there any background tasks trying to access any of the drives? I've had Windows 7 give me issues in the past with HDD access. 

I've considered upgrading to 10. I have a lot of software installed. Things set up just right. There is a lot of history tied up in this installation. IIRC, I have a couple old programs that barely work in 7 and I expect wouldn't work at all in 8.1 or 10. I know 7 will receive no more updates and it is done but it still runs nice most of the time. Regarding HDD access issues... you should have a look at my other thread I just started. Though the issue in that thread actually didn't stop my computer from going to sleep. It is just really annoying. I'm not wild about Win 10. I've noticed that software and some customizations done on the computers of some of the people I help gets broken when Microsoft pushes a big Win 10 update and those things have to be set up again. I've put off upgrading because what I have just works mostly. If I upgraded I probably ought to do a fresh install. I sort of don't like the ASUS motherboard I'm using. If I go to Win 10 I think I'd like to do it with a different computer. I've put off upgrading so long that now Win 11 is on the verge of coming out. Recently it seemed that Firefox was sometimes preventing my computer from going to sleep even though nothing was showing up when I ran powercfg -requests. I had some nights where the computer didn't go to sleep if I left Firefox running and it did go to sleep if I closed Firefox. My installation of Firefox is currently up to date.

1 minute ago, cat6meow said:

I've considered upgrading to 10. I have a lot of software installed. Things set up just right. There is a lot of history tied up in this installation. IIRC, I have a couple old programs that barely work in 7 and I expect wouldn't work at all in 8.1 or 10. I know 7 will receive no more updates and it is done but it still runs nice most of the time. Regarding HDD access issues... you should have a look at my other thread I just started. Though the issue in that thread actually didn't stop my computer from going to sleep. It is just really annoying. I'm not wild about Win 10. I've noticed that software and some customizations done on the computers of some of the people I help gets broken when Microsoft pushes a big Win 10 update and those things have to be set up again. I've put off upgrading because what I have just works mostly. If I upgraded I probably ought to do a fresh install. I sort of don't like the ASUS motherboard I'm using. If I go to Win 10 I think I'd like to do it with a different computer. I've put off upgrading so long that now Win 11 is on the verge of coming out. Recently it seemed that Firefox was sometimes preventing my computer from going to sleep even though nothing was showing up when I ran powercfg -requests. I had some nights where the computer didn't go to sleep if I left Firefox running and it did go to sleep if I closed Firefox. My installation of Firefox is currently up to date.

Yeah, I completely understand the reasoning for not going to Windows 10. For what it's worth though, I own two of those exact motherboards, and both are running Windows 10. One has a Core i7-2600K, and the other has a Core i7-2600. They both run Windows 10 just as well as they did Windows 10. As for updates breaking things - I just don't update. I've done a total of one major update on my current main system in the two years I've been running this installation of Windows 10. These days updates don't break quite as much lol. 

I'm really not sure what to say about the sleep issue though. It could be a variety of things. 

You could try doing bat file with command for sleep and then add it to windows task schedule