I got scammed for a dead motherboard...

vviicc

Are we supposed to install the cover back on the socket on mb if we aren't going to use it anymore??? 

I bought a TUF z390 plus wifi mb from fb market and theres a few bend pins spotted... it seems like the seller tryna install the cover bk on the socket or just slam it in and dgaf...

IMG_0335.thumb.JPG.17db0c48e78f50c78c5df4a22d26f9c9.JPGIMG_0334.thumb.JPG.d743172754ff4d0a8fc2815e5794feb7.JPGIMG_0333.thumb.JPG.8d7f15c43ebc10146455744d79a8ed6b.JPG

Option

1.. Ask for a refund

2 ...Take a wood toothpick and a magnifying glass and try to move the pins gently back in the right place... CAREFULLY and then try out the mobo, maybe it'll work.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

And this is why you always ask to look at the socket of LGA boards before you buy them (or even better, test the board). 

You can try to bend them back with a needle or something to try to bring the board back to life, or if the pins are too far gone replace the socket (you can get new 1151 sockets on places like AliExpress for like $10 if you have the soldering skills to replace it). 

As for your question, yes you are supposed to put the socket cover on if you aren't using the board because it's supposed to prevent things like this from happening. They either didn't put it on right, or ignored it and left it on to hope you didn't see the socket.

It depends what pins, but if I'm correct the CPU may still work. It depends what pins are broken, if it's a PCIE pin, or a power/ground pin. Try it out, see what pins are dead. Also, never buy from FB marketplace. They have no insurance, and just like people tell you with the scam GPUs, buy from a site with buyers protection.

11 minutes ago, vviicc said:

Are we supposed to install the cover back on the socket on mb if we aren't going to use it anymore??? 

I bought a TUF z390 plus wifi mb from fb market and theres a few bend pins spotted... it seems like the seller tryna install the cover bk on the socket or just slam it in and dgaf...

Try to see if the seller is willing to do a refund but bent pins are somewhat fixable long as they are not broken off. I've had success fixing a friends board before but it takes a fair bit of time and patience to get them back into place. Good thing to do is to carefully bend them back place the CPU into the socket and then take it out to check the positioning and if any need further adjustment. 

24 minutes ago, BlackDragon1971 said:

Option

1.. Ask for a refund

2 ...Take a wood toothpick and a magnifying glass and try to move the pins gently back in the right place... CAREFULLY and then try out the mobo, maybe it'll work.

I Back this 

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mtj08/saved/

3 hours ago, I-Use-Arch-BTW said:

I Back this 

Seconded.

I've bought one myself before that had bent pins but in my case I knew it had them.
This is how the socket looked when I got it:
Pins.thumb.JPG.0ec20f8f94b75032632320f776bccc90.JPG

After getting them straight it worked fine and it's still in use to this day.

You'll need to get a magnifying glass or even a magnifying visor that has a light on it for this kind of work, those are better than just a magnifying glass in general.
A really fine set of tweezers will be of some use too.

Also know sometimes it's not that the pin is bent, it's been pushed to one side instead so don't mistake one as just being bent.
You can see a couple like that in this pic and that's what I did to fix, I just pushed them back in line as required. 

All of yours (Except the one on top) looks to be pushed to one side and that's actually good.... Except for the one of course.
Easy to nudge them back straight with the rest but the one that's bent over backwards will be a challenge...
I've fixed one or two like that before, ain't easy to get back right again but it can be done.

Big thing is (Hopefully) there are no pins actually broken out/gone. Mine when done was missing a couple but that didn't affect it, if yours has a couple missing when done it may still work like mine does.

Only way to come out if a refund is refused (And you lose any appeal of this claim) is to dig in like I did and get it done.
Get them back in line, be sure they aren't touching one another and try it.

Good luck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

You have to check that kind of stuff if you buy used from someone. People will try to pull a quick one on ya

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Thanks guys!! I managed to bend the pins bk with a tweezer and the mb works just fine. You guys are lifesaver!!!

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.0163f8d951b01529cc055242829410f6.JPGIMG_0375.thumb.JPG.6bcf2c679ce29f962435448883b07065.JPG

Good to hear!
Hope it serves you well.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I'm glad to see you got it working. Leave that person negative feedback, that was some BS

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x