Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What RAM to get for a 2020 Razer Blade 15 Pro RTX 2080 model?

Hey there!

So my girlfriend is a 3D generalist freelancer, and she's been running into a lot of limitations working on her 2020 Razer Blade with 16gb of RAM, so instead of buying a new laptop I suggested we can just add more to the current one.

We're looking at buying 2x32gb DDR4 SO-DIMM sticks. I just wanted to double check here first though, since I never really attempted to upgrade any hardware on a laptop before... is there anything else we need to consider here? For example, how can we be sure the laptop actually supports 64gb of ram? Outside of that, the same applies here as on a workstation right, that is, basically all DDR4 SO-DIMM sticks will work as long as the memory amount is accepted by the device?

 

Some general guidelines here would be very helpful before we go and spend $400 on ram sticks and void the laptop warranty, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What does the manual for the laptop say?  It will tell you how many slots are free, what the max is, etc.

 

Questions like this are easily answered by looking up the laptop:  For example, how can we be sure the laptop actually supports 64gb of ram? 

 

 

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

What does the manual for the laptop say?  It will tell you how many slots are free, what the max is, etc.

 

Questions like this are easily answered by looking up the laptop:  For example, how can we be sure the laptop actually supports 64gb of ram? 

 

 

She doesn't have the physical manual for the laptop, and since there are so many different versions of the razer blade laptops (all called the same thing) I'm not sure how to find the manual for this specific model, since it's not the latest one. If I could find out how to find that laptop then yes, I could surely answer these questions on my own. I'll try to look for it more later today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JamZam said:

She doesn't have the physical manual for the laptop, and since there are so many different versions of the razer blade laptops (all called the same thing) I'm not sure how to find the manual for this specific model, since it's not the latest one. If I could find out how to find that laptop then yes, I could surely answer these questions on my own. I'll try to look for it more later today.

Sticker on the bottom shows the model and Serial Number, you can use those on their website.

 

In Device Manager I think... you can see the model number too.

 

"If I could find out how to find that laptop then yes, I could surely answer these questions on my own"

 

We sorta need that info too, to answer the questions for you 🙂 

 

Unless someone with knowledge about ALL those possible models can chime in, for example.  Like if ALL models under that umbrella are the same in regards to RAM, etc.  I do not know.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Sticker on the bottom shows the model and Serial Number, you can use those on their website.

 

In Device Manager I think... you can see the model number too.

 

"If I could find out how to find that laptop then yes, I could surely answer these questions on my own"

 

We sorta need that info too, to answer the questions for you 🙂

 

 

Gotcha, yes your help has been very helpful so far, thank you!

I found out that it seems to be this model: https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2630/kw/RZ09-03018

Now I'm just trying to figure out where exactly to find info on supported ram amount, I did not find it in the manual so far but I'll keep looking.

Edit: Nevermind, found it! Up to 64gb. And I assume that's all the info we should really care about. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JamZam said:

Gotcha, yes your help has been very helpful so far, thank you!

I found out that it seems to be this model: https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2630/kw/RZ09-03018

Now I'm just trying to figure out where exactly to find info on supported ram amount, I did not find it in the manual so far but I'll keep looking.

Edit: Nevermind, found it! Up to 64gb. And I assume that's all the info we should really care about. Thanks again!

FYI, you linked one with a 2070 but it should be the same as the 2080 model she has.  Yes, you're correct:

 

image.png.9aeb121f817c3fb32afa25cc0a12fb21.png

 

I'd get 2x 32GB SODIMMS at 3200MHz.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 1:49 PM, Dedayog said:

FYI, you linked one with a 2070 but it should be the same as the 2080 model she has.  Yes, you're correct:

 

image.png.9aeb121f817c3fb32afa25cc0a12fb21.png

 

I'd get 2x 32GB SODIMMS at 3200MHz.

This is exactly what we ended up doing! Thanks again for all the help. As you can see below it.. almost works, lol. For a while it was running though and it was great 😅

image0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×