No video in BIOS, but video works in windows

Hoping I can get some help with this.  Searches turned up nothing useful.  

I have an Asrock B450 steel legend mobo, and an MSI RX580 v1 GPU.  Some time ago, I installed what I had thought were updated video drivers, and had an incident after restarting during the update process where all video for the system was lost.  After about an hour of losing my mind, trying restarts, swapping cables and ports and reseating every component short of the CPU, it occurred to me that it looked like the system WAS in fact still booting, because the keyboard was lighting as usual and all components, fans, etc were running.  I attempted to backdoor it by using chrome remote desktop, and the video MAGICALLY started to pop up on the monitors as well as via the remote.   Since then, video has worked within windows. 

Today I'm trying to upgrade the NVME and reinstall windows, when I realized all this time, video has NOT been showing during BIOS post.  It begins appearing when windows takes over at the splash screen (no windows load screen with spinny bit either).  Again, tried restarts, port swaps, all connectors on GPU, none output video during BIOS, but video works just fine once windows loads.  

I put this in motherboards, because I have a sneaking suspicion this MAY be a BIOS issue, my best guess is maybe the chipset drivers?  (my thinking is because AMD seems to bundle chipset and GPU drivers, maybe something went wrong in the install process and I don't know how to fix whatever driver BIOS itself uses to output video during POST).

Anyone that can shed some light for me?

Note that I HAVE already tried both running updates for video driver (msi specific suggested) since then, AND rerunning the chipset driver install from the manufacturer of mobo, Asrock.  Both ran with no errors and appeared to install properly, but did not resolve the issue.  

You're probably on the right track with a BIOS error (be it the system BIOS or vBIOS), but the drivers will not fix anything here. No drivers are loaded by the BIOS, so they'll have no effect on this specific issue.

I don't think this is your issue, but I do know that some models of that particular generation of AMD cards did not ship with a UEFI compatible vBIOS, so being in that boot configuration would result in static, image corruption, or no output at all until the OS loaded.

I would advise resetting your BIOS with the jumper pins or by removing the battery, and see if that makes any improvements.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV