Netflix 4K not playing on windows 10 app but on Edge browser

pcloverbutnomoney

So it is that simple like in title, I do have 4K monitor and connected to laptop 2080 super display port and whenever I play 4k movie on Netflix windows app it does show 4K Ultra HD under the title but after playing it stuck at 1080 and bitrate of 2609 or something else depending on the movie without any changes in resolution or whatsoever. Connection speed is 200Mbps so not really an issue. So I logged into the Netflix on MS Edge and played the same title from continue watching row and it plays in 4K without any issues after 5 secs buffer with low resolutions.

I don't know if it is something related to DRM or HDCP (I don't think so because Edge plays on 4K fine tho). If you ask me then why don't I use Edge then it's audio issue with 5.1 and Atmos titles. It seems like Edge processing the Atmos audio but transmits it as a stereo to the sound device which is really worse and the same for 5.1 tracks too. Atmos and 5.1 audio was perfect with Netflix windows app but it locks me at 1080p.

So could you please guys help me out if you got anything to share on this, Thanks in advance.

This is basically the drm and windows having a fit. The solution is to either use the app or edge if one or the other doesn't work. It's annoying and there is literally nothing you can do about it as this behaviour is entirely random.

So basically a story as old as drm. Where drm messes up for paying customers and the pirates it's supposed to stop will never have a problem with it.

• 1 year later...

I have exact same issue but with Edge instead of the app: 4K Ultra HD is showing but it plays at 1080p max. The issue seems to affect all 4k content encoded with 12000kbps. 

I can still play that content in 4k in Netflix app but it has audio slightly out of sync! So the only way is Edge.

In my case it's 4k monitor connected to laptop's 1050ti via HDMI.