Want to upgrade GPU of Alienware X51 R2

sv3nm
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, sv3nm said:

And just to make sure, the GTX 1050ti and GTX1650 won't cause power consumption problems? Because if I am understanding it correctly it uses LESS power than the current GTX 660?

Go for the 1650 big performance jump as the 1050ti is really the lowest you should go for modern games. They will not cause power consumption issues as at worst a 1650 with a good factory oc and everything will consume at most the same as your current card. But none of those big oc 1650's fit in that case anyway so no worries.

Currently my Alienware X51 has a GTX 660 in it and I want to upgrade it to a GTX 1650. I am aware that the PC has a lot of limitations when it comes to upgrading. I want to find out if this upgrade will fit and/or will there be any issues regarding the power consumption. The Alienware has a 270W PSU.

Here is a screenshot from the Nvidia website of the dimensions and power consumption of the gtx660

image.png.4f129e0ee58142b7733bfb0ba7139fe3.png

And here is a screenshot from the聽Palit GeForce GTX 1650 GamingPro OC NE61650S1BG1-1175A that im considering buying.

image.png.b26bf627c2cee63dbbbe1b5d867b6906.png

If I am understanding it correctly both are dual slot GPUs. And the GTX1650 uses less power?

This 1650 requires a 6-pin Power connector! Check that your PSU has one.
You might also have issues with the BIOS from the motherboard.

A friend of mine upgraded a GPU in a pre-build and couldnt make it run, until he replaced the motherboard with a non-OEM modell.

馃ウ馃ウ

2 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

The 1650 requires a 6-pin Power connector! Check that your PSU has one.
You might also have issues with the BIOS from the motherboard.

A friend of mine upgraded a GPU in a pre-build and couldnt make it run, until he replaced the motherboard with a non-OEM modell.

Does this mean I should rather try to upgrade to something like a GTX 1050ti ?

Alternativly I can recommend the low-profile modells, but they have a weaker coolers obviously.
They often, if not always, dont require a Power connector from the PSU.

馃ウ馃ウ

8 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

I am aware that the PC has a lot of limitations when it comes to upgrading

Honestly speaking you should upgrade wholesale, but hey lets work with what we have if you dont have the budget to do that.

9 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

And here is a screenshot from the聽Palit GeForce GTX 1650 GamingPro OC NE61650S1BG1-1175A that im considering buying.

X51 has a pretty tight tolerance, you should really measure up the height between the old GPU and find it as close as possible. And expect yourself to probably needing a bit of... Mass persuasion.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Honestly speaking you should upgrade wholesale, but hey lets work with what we have if you dont have the budget to do that.

X51 has a pretty tight tolerance, you should really measure up the height between the old GPU and find it as close as possible. And expect yourself to probably needing a bit of... Mass persuasion.

4 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

Alternativly I can recommend the low-profile modells, but they have a weaker coolers obviously.
They often, if not always, dont require a Power connector from the PSU.

Any suggestions to possible GPU's that I could upgrade to (This is an old computer that I would like to upgrade a bit so my gf can play some games with me)

I would recommend 1050ti low-profile or 1650 low-profile models. (the manufacturer doesnt really matter IMO. just pick the best deal you can find from a rebutable seller)

馃ウ馃ウ

11 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

Any suggestions to possible GPU's that I could upgrade to (This is an old computer that I would like to upgrade a bit so my gf can play some games with me)

A regular small gtx 1650 fits no problem. Just measure twice buy once basically.

1 minute ago, broccoli27 said:

I would recommend 1050ti low-profile or 1650 low-profile models. (the manufacturer doesnt really matter IMO. just pick the best deal you can find from a rebutable seller)

Okay ill go look for those. Should I also be looking for cards that gets it power directly from the motherboard and not via a six pin connector rather?聽

I saw this from an article.

image.png.ee5a43c082052c0aeed832a1f5e71db9.png

Does this mean that I will be "safer" regarding power consumption when staying away from a 6-pin or should I rather make use of it if the X51 has one?

7 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

Normal smaller cards fit no problem you just got to measure no need for even a low profile card at all.

Just now, sv3nm said:

Okay ill go look for those. Should I also be looking for cards that gets it power directly from the motherboard and not via a six pin connector rather?聽

I saw this from an article.

image.png.ee5a43c082052c0aeed832a1f5e71db9.png

Does this mean that I will be "safer" regarding power consumption when staying away from a 6-pin or should I rather make use of it if the X51 has one?

The 660ti in your pc should have a 6 pin power connector making it so that a 1650 with or without the 6pin is fine. However do first double check that since you need to measure the current gtx 660ti anyway to fin a card that fits.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 660ti in your pc should have a 6 pin power connector making it so that a 1650 with or without the 6pin is fine. However do first double check that since you need to measure the current gtx 660ti anyway to fin a card that fits.

Okay thanks. Regarding the compatibility with my motherboard and any BIOS issues - should I be worried? I really don't want something like that to end up being a problem after installing.

I can't tell you if that system will "reject" the new GPU, but its possible. Try it anyways.

If it doesnt work, you can always pick up a used but working replacment motherboard which is not OEM specific (This only works if the current motherboard is a normal form factor!!!)

馃ウ馃ウ

2 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

Okay thanks. Regarding the compatibility with my motherboard and any BIOS issues - should I be worried? I really don't want something like that to end up being a problem after installing.

The r2 works fine with modern cards. The only requirements you need to follow are power and size. Power wise a gtx 670 is the best it came with so basically a card with a single 6pin is as far as this system can go. Size wise well you measure it and make sure the fan of the card you are buying is somewhere near a vent so it can get some nice air. This case works best with blower style cards but those went out of fashion so harder to find. It is fine with regular coolers too.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Normal smaller cards fit no problem you just got to measure no need for even a low profile card at all.

And just to make sure, the GTX 1050ti and GTX1650 won't cause power consumption problems? Because if I am understanding it correctly it uses LESS power than the current GTX 660?

2 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

I can't tell you if that system will "reject" the new GPU, but its possible. Try it anyways.

If it doesnt work, you can always pick up a used but working replacment motherboard which is not OEM specific (This only works if the current motherboard is a normal form factor!!!)

They are fine I've received them over the years and no issues with a gtx 1650

1 minute ago, sv3nm said:

Go for the 1650 big performance jump as the 1050ti is really the lowest you should go for modern games. They will not cause power consumption issues as at worst a 1650 with a good factory oc and everything will consume at most the same as your current card. But none of those big oc 1650's fit in that case anyway so no worries.

3 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

Thanks for the help. I understand that problems like that can arise (ill try and contact dell to clarify on that possible error). Unfortunately the OEM motherboard is very customized and as far as I have done research I can not replace the motherboard in the current PC form factor with something more "standard"聽

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Great to hear! I upgraded (for a very low price) from the i5-4570S to the i5-4690k , do you think this was a good upgrade regarding gaming performance?

3 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

Great to hear! I upgraded (for a very low price) from the i5-4570S to the i5-4690k , do you think this was a good upgrade regarding gaming performance?

Not really no. It's still a i5 and in recent games it will still stutter, freeze,... but now with a higher max fps. Also the k consumes a fair bit more energy and produces a decent amount more heat. Not a good cpu at all to put in a x51. There is a reason these came with S, T or no letter version of cpu's and that was for power and heat reasons.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not really no. It's still a i5 and in recent games it will still stutter, freeze,... but now with a higher max fps. Also the k consumes a fair bit more energy and produces a decent amount more heat. Not a good cpu at all to put in a x51. There is a reason these came with S, T or no letter version of cpu's and that was for power and heat reasons.

Any suggestions to keep it running cool if possible?

3 minutes ago, sv3nm said:

Any suggestions to keep it running cool if possible?

If allowed in the bios. Lower it's clockspeeds or just put the 4570s back in if you still have it. Both will basically achieve the same. Oh and general tip if for example in height you have 54mm of room don't get a 54mm high card as often those measurements are off by 1 or 2mm and you might end up in a wonky situation :p.