Reviving dead GTX 1080

The_russian

I recently got a dead EVGA 1080 FTW for cheap, the card lights up and fans twitch every few seconds but the card doesn't output any display and is not detected in Windows. 

I gave it a good inspection and found that the BIOS switch was broken, the switch internals were broken so the pins weren't contacting for either BIOS selection. Other than that there is no visible damage.

How the BIOS switch looked initially

Spoiler

IMG_8241.thumb.jpeg.0e04ec4726db6b46d740fdae8cbb14e1.jpeg

BIOS switch after desoldering metal cover to make pads easier to access:

Spoiler

IMG_8253.thumb.jpeg.b74cf3f2d2bc825c8d2db624f66e2f1f.jpeg

I'm guessing all the switch does is short either the left or right contact pad to the center one depending on which position it is in, so I used an alligator clip to short the left and center contacts, then tried shorting the right and center contacts, but still no display output and not being detected in Windows. 

I'm not seeing anything in device manager for the card either. 

Thinking both BIOS might have gotten corrupt, I downloaded NVFlash and listed all graphics cards but got the message "No NVIDIA display adapters found." Tried a few different versions fo NVFlash, can't get the system to see the card. 

If Windows and NVFlash don't detect the card, is it worth buying a SPI flash programmer to try to flash the BIOS that way, or does the card not being detected at all mean it's completely dead and not a BIOS issue?

Happy to give more details if needed. 

EDIT: Anyone got any ideas for what else to try to get the system to see the card?

Your GPU is not worth using especially with the a broken bios. Its best to replace it.