CPU Core Temp much higher than CPU Socket Temp - i7-10700k, Corsair XTM50

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
8 minutes ago, Harsh555 said:

Should I tighten all the way or stop when I feel it's secure?

Fingertight, when you start to struggle screwing it in. Also, do it in a criss cross pattern and make sure you add the pressure evenly by screwing each screws turn by turn.

Hi, I built my very first PC for work/gaming with intel i7-10700k, MSI Z490 GamingEdge motherboard and MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R AIO in a NZXT h510 case. I used a Corsair XTM50 thermal paste that I got from bestbuy.

• I have been noticing high core temps and low socket temps. The CPU is thermal throttling easily (checked using Intel extreme tuning utility).
  • Even with light loads (firefox browsing) temperature is around 95+C/65C {core temp / socket temp}. It idles around 75C/56C.
  • I initially thought I applied my thermal paste improperly, cleaned it and applied it again. But no improvement.
  • My first guess is to change thermal paste. However, found it hard to order online (lot of fakes) and was planning to drive to a nearby microcenter (2hrs away) to pick some up. My choice was Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. (other suggestions welcome)

But do you have any comments or suggestions if that is the issue? or am I off track here?

Thanks in advance.

[Other info that might be helpful: Running a Quadro P2200 (due to GPU shortages) and Windows Server 2019 (got a free copy)

Capture2.thumb.PNG.199f8ef51483a19d4e043fe0f892617c.PNG

sounds like the 240 AIO is struggling to keep up but i do not Trust MSI Dragon center at all if im honest. Its a program that ive seen cause many issues in the past, usually considered bloatware.

I dont see why youd be at 93c with an input voltage of 1.1480, seems quite low so i dont think thats accurate. It could be that Dram and CPU core voltage are switched, 1.348v makes more sense.

Generally thermal paste has a small impact on performance. It honestly just sounds like your Pump Is not plugged in and is dead. If its been sitting at that temp for very long periods it very well could have cooked the pump since there was no water flowing

1 hour ago, Harsh555 said:

in a NZXT h510 case

Reason found. Open the front panel, and also consider remounting the cooler CPU block to make sure the pressure is even. And finally, use a proper temperature app, like HWiNFO, AIDA64, and RivaTuner Statistics.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

sounds like the 240 AIO is struggling to keep up but i do not Trust MSI Dragon center at all if im honest. Its a program that ive seen cause many issues in the past, usually considered bloatware.

I dont see why youd be at 93c with an input voltage of 1.1480, seems quite low so i dont think thats accurate. It could be that Dram and CPU core voltage are switched, 1.348v makes more sense.

Generally thermal paste has a small impact on performance. It honestly just sounds like your Pump Is not plugged in and is dead. If its been sitting at that temp for very long periods it very well could have cooked the pump since there was no water flowing

So I checked temps in BIOS after waiting for 10 mins. The CPU idles at 53C and Socket is at 35C. As @SorryClaire suggested, tried AIDA64 and got the following result, heavy throttling, running at 2.9 GHz while base clock at 3.79 GHz. Checked pump rpm in bios and it says 4200, as does MSI's data sheet. Could BIOS misreport pump rpm? I could also feel water running / one hose cold and the other warm to touch ?

Capture3.PNG

47 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Reason found. Open the front panel, and also consider remounting the cooler CPU block to make sure the pressure is even. And finally, use a proper temperature app, like HWiNFO, AIDA64, and RivaTuner Statistics.

When I remounted the CPU cooler block, I tightened the screws all the way. I just checked reddit and they advise not to do that. Should I tighten all the way or stop when I feel it's secure?

8 minutes ago, Harsh555 said:

Should I tighten all the way or stop when I feel it's secure?

Fingertight, when you start to struggle screwing it in. Also, do it in a criss cross pattern and make sure you add the pressure evenly by screwing each screws turn by turn.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

17 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Thanks a lot. Did that and the temps are reasonable. Also the idling issue was because I had PC set to Ultra Performance Mode in Power Settings. It now idles around 55C CPU temp. I think the limitation maybe my AIO is insufficient for i7-10700k and the NZXT H510i is not helping either.

I am considering mounting my radiator outside the case or Dremel out square panels on the front / top.

Thanks a lot.