Lenovo motherboard capacitor

I own a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 15.6" laptop 

So, yesterday I was upgrading my RAM into 16GB, everything was going fine until, trying to put this little metal that protects the 2 ram slow then accidently it moved to the left and sort of burned this capacitor PL202 . One of my friends tested the motherboard and the capacitor and told me it caused no damaged but still im confused on what exactly is the use of this PL202 capacitor and how i really be sure that nothing bad is going to happed to my motherboard as the time goes by. Would totally appreciated any comments about it. Thanks

pd: no, i didnt disconnected the battery or drained all energy before doing this and yes i know i shoul've have. but now were here and im a little worried about this "not-burned but looks burned " PL202 thing.

here are the links for the photos just in case.
https://files.fm/u/f33jcpt36

IMG_7087.png

IMG_7088.png

IMG_7091.png

• 10 months later...

#PL202 Burned on Lenovo Idepad Gaming 3
#RAM Cover cause burn to Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 motherboard component/part

Hello. i have the exact thing happened to my Lenovo Idepad Gaming 3.
this happened when i try to replacing the RAM Cover when the battery cable was still attached to board.

my question:

1. What is that thing that burned ? (PL202} ?
1. is that burned part affects the other components ? if yes, then what else ?
2. is this still under warranty cover by Lenovo ? cos my laptop is only 2 months old until this accident happened. and im still under warranty time.
3. HOW TO FIX THIS ?
4. can i not using the ram cover for future use. (this to avoid human error again next time i open my laptop backcover).

Dinan-burn PL202.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

hi even i have done the same mistake . even i have a burned the same PL202 inductor. what problems will it bring to me if i do not get it repaired? please help me

• 8 months later...

Same.thing happened to me...what did you guys do after this? Do you got any problem or something?

• 2 months later...

Exactly the same problem here! I own the Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6 and as I was upgrading my RAM, when I put the RAM cover back, it accidentally touched this inductor and a tiny flash /flame popped up, along with the inductor being blown up. I'm gonna contact Lenovo soon to ask if this is under warranty because I purchased my laptop 1 month ago. By the way, I started the laptop and it works fine but I'm not risking leaving it as it is because you never know what problems will come up afterwards. If anyone knows any details about what this inductor does please let me know. IMG_20230904_205247.thumb.jpg.718024eb245737990eef6f16b27d40c2.jpgIMG_20230904_210536.thumb.jpg.ffb1d1165f48f30fc9970f57f48e81be.jpgIMG_20230904_210540.thumb.jpg.db66ac92a14b595a9bd438ca21c6ab6b.jpg

Looks like part of an input filter from the battery. It's connected to the battery positive (through PF201) and the metal piece is likely connected to ground, so when you touch it to the inductor you are basically putting a direct short across the battery terminals.

Since there are two others in parallel, maybe can just remove the inductor and it might still work. Just the filter value will change a bit. But might still work fine. Should also check the fuse (PF201), as it might have blown.