Prime95 Test with CPU went to 100C

Yakibu
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Yes the cpu is fine.

but...... haha, love those dontcha?

If the board shuts off, that's to avoid permanent damage. You don't want this to happen. Often times a cpu can shut down several times at Thermtrip and survive, others die on the first shot.

115c shutdown. (thermtrip)

100c throttle. (Cpu multi and voltage downed)

Under 90c at load defaults desired.

85c or less OC at load desired.

GL!

I tried to stress test my I7 10700k with P95 and saw my temp skyrocketing instantly to 100C. I left it for like 1 minute just to see if it was a display issue but apparently it was not. (Maybe it went over 100C cuz Afterburner is capped at 100C)

I want to ask: Is my CPU ok? I mean it was just around 1 min right? Just to be sure.

My PC:

I7 10700k

Z490 AORUS ELITE

MA610P

32GB RAM Asgard 2666MHz

Sapphire NITRO+ 6900XT SE

P850W AORUS

Processors have temperatures limits, they'll take precaution if it gets too hot.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Processors have temperatures limits, they'll take precaution if it gets too hot.

So it should be ok right?

4 minutes ago, Yakibu said:

So it should be ok right?

Personally I would scale back my OC if CPU temp exceeded 85c or 90c on an extreme OC. If your processor is not OC then you have a serious cooling issue.

3 minutes ago, alex75871 said:

Personally I would scale back my OC if CPU temp exceeded 85c or 90c on an extreme OC. If your processor is not OC then you have a serious cooling issue.

Thanks. I might need to change to a new cooler soon... and my CPU is probably fine considering what @Slottr said above...

Yes the cpu is fine.

If the board shuts off, that's to avoid permanent damage. You don't want this to happen. Often times a cpu can shut down several times at Thermtrip and survive, others die on the first shot.

GL!

6 minutes ago, Yakibu said:

Thanks. I might need to change to a new cooler soon... and my CPU is probably fine considering what @Slottr said above...

P95 is fairly heavy. I personally use OCCT. Are you using default motherboard settings? 

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

P95 is fairly heavy. I personally use OCCT. Are you using default motherboard settings? 

Moved to Cooling. 

yeah I am using default motherboard setting.

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes the cpu is fine.

GL!

Thanks! I'm quite dedicated to this build and don't wanna have troubles... so your reply is very informative and helpful!

1 minute ago, Yakibu said:

yeah I am using default motherboard setting.

Enhanced Multi-Core Performance is set to enabled / Auto by default. Try disabling that and see how much temps improve. 

Have you tried reseating the cooler? Make sure that it's fully and gradually tightened in an X-pattern. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Enhanced Multi-Core Performance is set to enabled / Auto by default. Try disabling that and see how much temps improve. 

Have you tried reseating the cooler? Make sure that it's fully and gradually tightened in an X-pattern. 

ok I have disabled it... And it reduced around 2 to 3 degrees small FFTs w/o AVX. I'm not sure I want to try enable AVX again

10 minutes ago, Yakibu said:

ok I have disabled it... And it reduced around 2 to 3 degrees small FFTs w/o AVX. I'm not sure I want to try enable AVX again

So 97c? That's still very high. Try reseating the cooler. What's the thermal paste spread look like?

34 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

So 97c? That's still very high. Try reseating the cooler. What's the thermal paste spread look like?

nono it was 91. The 100C was the test with AVX and I can't really tell about the thermal paste cuz it wasn't me who assembled the PC. It was an employee at the store where I bought the parts.

don't tell me your cpu is on a default cooler...

you need a better cpu cooler for K series cpu

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

11 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

don't tell me your cpu is on a default cooler...

you need a better cpu cooler for K series cpu

Mine is a MA610P