I want to upgrade to something better than an Oculus Quest 2, but what's better?

I use an Oculus quest 2 to play PC VR games using Oculus Link. It works great! I have had basically no issues with it running on my PC. I think i will use it to play PC VR games for a long time. Eventually, however, I will want to upgrade. What headset do i choose? The Vive headsets don't seem to out preform the Quest 2 in any way. And even if they do, I don't know which specific model does so. I've heard the Vive pro does well, but it's extremely over priced. And the Valve Index is too far out of my price range ATM. I'm willing to save up for any of these headsets, but I just want to narrow down which one I should buy. Any advice would be helpful!

Do you use your pc to run the games?
What is your price range?

Really, the quest 2 is one of the best. 120hz screen, 2x1830x1920, reletivly powerful way to play games without a pc, its the only headset in the price range of it that I would consider.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I believe you've pretty much got the HTC Vive offerings and the Valve Index, there's really nothing in-between those and the Quest 2. Honestly, the Quest 2 is way cheaper than it normally would be because Facebook is heavily subsidising the price of the hardware as they want the data and ad potential. 

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Do you use your pc to run the games?
What is your price range?

Really, the quest 2 is one of the best. 120hz screen, 2x1830x1920, reletivly powerful way to play games without a pc, its the only headset in the price range of it that I would consider.

I do use my PC to run the games. I use Oculus link. Any my price range can be whatever. I'm not looking to buy any time soon, so I can save up if necessary.

1 minute ago, rushias said:

I do use my PC to run the games. I use Oculus link. Any my price range can be whatever. I'm not looking to buy any time soon, so I can save up if necessary.

id say the quest 2 would be plenty for now. Save, and if you want a upgrade in a year or two get a valve index

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The Valve Index is pretty much the only thing else worth considering at this point, though it's pricey as hell. I would wait, if I were you, as there's rumors of a standalone Index coming, potentially powered by the same hardware as the Steam Deck. May be nothing, but that would definitely be worth considering if it does come to fruition.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I've used a couple Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and really the Quest 2 as much as a fucking hate Facebook, is the most reliable option I've experienced. 

I had the OLED Samsung one, and the HP G2, and WMR is the common weak link between them. The Quest on the other hand, just works, and works every time. 

Also, if you do anything better than a Q2, Expect to buy an RTX 3090 or 6900XT. My 6700XT is barely able to drive DCS or MSFS with playable framerates at a legible resolutions. It's a good, not great experience. VR requires a butt-ton of VRAM. 

HL Alyx on the otherhand is basically buttered toast, so maybe it's game optimizations? I dunno. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

3 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Also, if you do anything better than a Q2, Expect to buy an RTX 3090 or 6900XT. My 6700XT is barely able to drive DCS or MSFS with playable framerates at a legible resolutions. It's a good, not great experience. VR requires a butt-ton of VRAM. 

Index would be the top of the line now. A 1080 Ti still drives the Vive just fine, but at the same time the fact I don't have a better GPU is also what has kept me from getting one.

3 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

HL Alyx on the otherhand is basically buttered toast, so maybe it's game optimizations? I dunno.

It probably helps they basically "invented" VR gaming. In my book HL:A is still Valve flexing, showing the industry how VR is done.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

An HTC Vive Pro 2 with wireless kit and Valve Index controllers would be the top of the line right now but that's going to cost you around $2000 USD plus tax and you better have a top end PC to run it.

It's the most plug and play friendly option to give you 4k resolution wireless VR with good controllers.

This would be a noticeable improvement over the Quest 2 in pretty much every category but the price to performance difference isn't worth it in my opinion.

Unless you are playing flight/racing sims and really need that extra clear display, keep saving up and wait for the next gen of headsets to come out. Hopefully then you wont have to mix and match parts to get a no compromises upgrade of the quest 2.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, rushias said:

I use an Oculus quest 2 to play PC VR games using Oculus Link. It works great! I have had basically no issues with it running on my PC. I think i will use it to play PC VR games for a long time. Eventually, however, I will want to upgrade. What headset do i choose? The Vive headsets don't seem to out preform the Quest 2 in any way. And even if they do, I don't know which specific model does so. I've heard the Vive pro does well, but it's extremely over priced. And the Valve Index is too far out of my price range ATM. I'm willing to save up for any of these headsets, but I just want to narrow down which one I should buy. Any advice would be helpful!

I'd just wait for the moment, I imagine there will be some new VR hardware in the future that will be worth upgrading to. The Quest 2 is already excellent and I can't really see anything better than an Index or maybe a HTC Vive with a bunch of Vive trackers, both are extremely expensive at the moment.